• Update 2: We should be back as normal now. Sorry again! Ivar
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.
  • Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

cycle info

sam lucas

Time of past OR future Camino
October 2017
I am cycling from Ponferrada to Santiago in the first week in October. I would appreciate a couple of concerns answered by those who have done this on a bike.

What is the weather likely to be in the first week of October
I have an electric bike but am still concerned over the steep climb to O'Cebreiro.

I am a fit 73 year old and cycle up hill and dales for 30-50 miles some days.

Any info on this would be helpfull. Thanks

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
One cannot say what the weather will be like but rain and sun are both probable snow almost certainly not.

The cycle route to O Cebreiro is a long uphill but if you stick to the road not steep - make sure your battery is fully charged.

I am cycling from Ponferrada to Santiago in the first week in October. I would appreciate a couple of concerns answered by those who have done this on a bike.

I have an electric bike but am still concerned over the steep climb to O'Cebreiro.

I am a fit 73 year old and cycle up hill and dales for 30-50 miles some days.

Any info on this would be helpfull. Thanks
Hi Sam , as stated by William .
And don't forget to ring your bel when you want to pas us walkers.

Wish you a wonderful time and a Buen Camino,Peter.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
One cannot say what the weather will be like but rain and sun are both probable snow almost certainly not.

The cycle route to O Cebreiro is a long uphill but if you stick to the road not steep - make sure your battery is fully charged.
Thanks William. Really helpful.

Does anyone know, for official, if electric assist bicycles are considered bicycles or motorized transport?

The former are eligible for a Compostela on finishing 200 kilometers. Riders of the latter is NOT eligible for a Compostela, regardless of miles traveled. The equivalent device would be a gasoline powered moped with pedals. This was the former policy.

I AM familiar with electric assist bicycles and have ridden them, with pleasure, in Belgium. I am also a regular volunteer at the Pilgrim Office. When I was last there in May, I saw several groups of cyclists, where at least one member of the group used an electric assist bicycle. I neglected to inquire then.

My month-long volunteer duty starts late next week, So I will learn then if the Pilgrim Office has taken an official position on this. Once I learn that, I will report back.

I walked the first days of October, two years ago. It was mostly pleasant, cold in the mornings with some light rains, but sunny by noon.
But as we were approaching Vega de Valcarce and Ruitelan, climate went from bad to freakish, with heavy rain and strong wind gusts. We decided to take the paved road from Ruitelan to Piedrafita do Cebreiro (that's the village, down the valley), and then reconnect with Camino in O Cebreiro. That was what many cyclists were doing; it is a road with scarce traffic, not dangerous, and not a difficult climbing. Consider it a "just in case" option.
Buen camino!

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!

Weather - Pretty much everything, sorry - sun - rain - rain - more rain - or more sun, no blistering heat, but if you are unlucky even a snowflake.

Electric Bike - If you want to get a Compostela, just don't mention it is electric ;-)

Buen Camino, SY

Hola @ Sam Lucas: the weather in Galicia can, and does change, every day, sometimes twice in the one day. I cycled Pamplona to Santiago back in Sep 2015. There is a road alternative from Las Herrerias to O 'Cebreiro (and it is steep in the section leading to Laguna. Do not expect to be able to follow the walkers Camino - there are road alternatives. Have a look back in the biking camino section (search for my posts). Cheers

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back