• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Cycle Portuguese Camino de Santiago Mar/Apr - Join me?

Neville

Time of past OR future Camino
Cycle Camino Portuguese - March/April 2018
Hi Everyone
I'm 61 and a keen traveler with a very long list of places to see and things to do.
One of those things I've been thinking of doing over the last few years is the Camino de Santiago. I am still employed full time, so have time restrictions. I also don't like hiking that much, so decided to cycle the Camino. I chose the Portuguese Camino because it is less crowded, and from watching a few YouTube clips decided that the terrain is not that difficult
Every one reading this post probably knows the Camino a 100 times better than a newbie like me, but here goes my plan.....all advise and comments will be much appreciated
The plan is to start mid March in Lisbon (Portugal) and cycle the 610 odd kms to Santiago de Compostela (Spain). There are three months left which gives me time to get rid of my fat and laziness and also to find a kindred spirit to join me.
I was thinking of doing around 50ish kms p/day with a rest day in Porto to take in the sights (And sample the port)........but everything is open for change
It seems like a fairly easy route, so I don't think one has to be super fit or have extraordinary cycling skills to do this.
Accommodations will be kept inexpensive, and all the money saved will be spent on great food, wine and sangria. The weather around that time of year seems to be good for Cycling as well
I will travel from Seychelles where I live to Lisbon and bring my own mountainbike which I will have set up with a carrier and small panniers in Lisbon.
If you are interested in joining me, it will be great to have the company. There are several operators who will rent out bicycles should you choose rental over the hassle of transporting your own bicycle. They also provide support and baggage transport if you want that.
I am a relaxed cyclist who likes to smell the roses on route, and would enjoy to have the company of any age or gender who can enjoy the journey with me.
Cheers for now, Neville
Ps This is not a religious pilgrimage for me, just a cycling adventure.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Hello Neville.....I too am a keen traveler ( my wife used to be but she tells me she now prefers to say at home and let me get on with it ) and am also planning my (probably) last long distance ride in March/April 2018 from Malaga to Santiago via the Mozarabe route .
I have cycled 3 Caminos ,so if you have any questions relating to cycling the camino ,and i can answer them, then i will .

P S . I have already bought a secondhand "Saracen" mountain bike from E Bay at the ridiculous price of ÂŁ16 ( i was the only bidder) , which i will leave in Spain , so am now looking at ways of getting it to Malaga .
One thing i will be doing this time is to use my bike panniers as my luggage on the plane so i KNOW everything i take will fit in them . Last year i hired a bike, so took my luggage in a holdall which held more than the hired panniers .:mad:

I know you say this will not be for religious reasons , but you will miss a lot of the Camino spirit if you do not stay in albergues at least some of the time .

Regards.....John

Last edited:
Hi John

It's too bad you're not planning on doing the Portuguese route. Have you always done your Camino trips solo, and have you cycled the Portuguese Camino yet?
I very much like my solitude, but afraid that the Portuguese Camino might be so quiet that I get stuck with my own company for too long.....besides, I also enjoy cycling with others and sharing experiences with other cyclists/travelers over a meal and a refreshment at the end of a day. Hence, I am definitely planning on staying in albergues.
My biggest concern is the weather that time of the year. I guess I'm not a very good mountainbiker, because I don't like mud so much, or cycling in the cold for that matter. Rain, dust and extreme heat I can handle.
Unfortunately, there are no bike shops in Seychelles so I must wait for Lisbon to buy panniers and fit a carrier. I'll buy a cheap, disposable sport bag which I'll use until I get the panniers, which I will also use as luggage for my flight back. Off course, hiring panniers is also a strong consideration.
It's great that you found a good bike on e-bay. I thought long about renting vs schlepping my own bike around, but could not imagine doing such a great trip on a mediocre bicycle. I have a Yeti 29er and I just know I would curse myself every day on the trail if I didn't take it with me :)
I'm new to long distance cycling, with only one 4day trip through Malawi many years ago, but I have to admit that since I set my mind on the Camino, I have no interest in cycling any other route ......must be the Camino spirit that bubbles up everywhere
Cheers for now
Neville

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Hello again Neville.....i normally cycle alone but on the Via de la Plata i was joined for about 3 days by a lone Spanish cyclist who was a bit unsure of himself , and i enjoyed that as well .
I have not ridden the Portuguese camino , or even thought of it for that matter . The Via de la Plata camino was superb ..... isolated ...... hard in places ...... hot ...... wet and not many other pilgrims on most of it, so that on several evenings i was the only person in the albergue .
The Mozarabe route meets the Vd l Plata at Merida and i can't wait to get on this camino once again as i enjoyed it so much . I understand that the first day or so out of Malaga will be quite hard , but i am no stranger to pushing my bike up hills so not worried about that (well at 73 years of age why should i :) ).

Hope all your plans come together .

This is the link to the Decathlon shop in Lisbon if it is of use to you . www.decathlon.pt

Regards.........John

I'm new to long distance cycling, with only one 4day trip through Malawi many years ago, but I have to admit that since I set my mind on the Camino, I have no interest in cycling any other route ......must be the Camino spirit that bubbles up everywhere

Hi Neville, welcome to the forum. I hope you don’t mind me butting in here, as I am not a cyclist, and I don't usually look at the cycling threads. In fact, I rarely chat to cyclists on any camino because, on the initial meeting, we have nothing in common, and I know I will never ever see them again.

But I see you are new to the Camino de Santiago, and what I am trying to say in this post is, to save yourself a lot of hassle with getting your bike to Spain, and for your first camino, and in the short time you have available, you could get a flight to Porto and walk to Santiago.

I know you said in your first post that you don’t like hiking much, but the camino isn’t a “hike”. If anyone tells you that the camino is a long-distance hike, then they do not have a feel for what it is really all about.

Anyway, it’s just an idea. There will be enough people walking in March, and staying in the albergues, for some company in the evenings.

You could use this short trip as a kind of introduction to the Camino de Santiago, and, with the experience gained, plan a much longer camino in the future, by bike, and with some good buddies . . . .

I will now butt out of cycling threads . . . :oops:

Jill

Neville, have you seen the maps prepared by Luis Freixo for the Portuguese route. I’ve only looked at the Porto - Santiago portion but wanted to let you know he clearly identifies a wheelchair route, or a path that is suitable for wheeled transport. It might be of interest to you...http://www.caminador.es/

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I just came across this thread while perusing the forum and I have to say, I would love to hear about your experience once you've completed it! It's been a long time dream for me to walk the Camino...I spend a lot of time reading the forum and obsessing over it trying to plan the best route and preparing myself. However I fractured my ankle in July and while hiking is my passion, am somewhat concerned that I'll be able to go the distance in 2018...so cycling may be a great option?! I'd be travelling from Canada so def would opt to rent...but unfortunately am looking at Sept/Oct as opposed to the dates you're going. Too bad....I'd like to find some company when I take off too. Do keep us updated on your adventure and good luck!! :)

Hi Everyone
I'm 61 and a keen traveler with a very long list of places to see and things to do.
One of those things I've been thinking of doing over the last few years is the Camino de Santiago. I am still employed full time, so have time restrictions. I also don't like hiking that much, so decided to cycle the Camino. I chose the Portuguese Camino because it is less crowded, and from watching a few YouTube clips decided that the terrain is not that difficult
Every one reading this post probably knows the Camino a 100 times better than a newbie like me, but here goes my plan.....all advise and comments will be much appreciated
The plan is to start mid March in Lisbon (Portugal) and cycle the 610 odd kms to Santiago de Compostela (Spain). There are three months left which gives me time to get rid of my fat and laziness and also to find a kindred spirit to join me.
I was thinking of doing around 50ish kms p/day with a rest day in Porto to take in the sights (And sample the port)........but everything is open for change
It seems like a fairly easy route, so I don't think one has to be super fit or have extraordinary cycling skills to do this.
Accommodations will be kept inexpensive, and all the money saved will be spent on great food, wine and sangria. The weather around that time of year seems to be good for Cycling as well
I will travel from Seychelles where I live to Lisbon and bring my own mountainbike which I will have set up with a carrier and small panniers in Lisbon.
If you are interested in joining me, it will be great to have the company. There are several operators who will rent out bicycles should you choose rental over the hassle of transporting your own bicycle. They also provide support and baggage transport if you want that.
I am a relaxed cyclist who likes to smell the roses on route, and would enjoy to have the company of any age or gender who can enjoy the journey with me.
Cheers for now, Neville
Ps This is not a religious pilgrimage for me, just a cycling adventure.
I have walked and cycled quite a few caminos since 1999, now at 73 years of age have slowed down a bit.
I walked inland this April from Lisbon and this coming year intend to cycle the coastal route from Lisbon to Santiago on the same folding bike that I did V.d.plata then St jean in 2013 and 2014.
As I followed the tracks and trails on a commuter bike, (Mezzo 9) I got to know some very helpful bike repair shops!
EuroVelo Route 1 web site gives Portuguese hostels and bike repairs.

to save yourself a lot of hassle with getting your bike to Spain, and for your first camino, and in the short time you have available, you could get a flight to Porto and walk to Santiago.

Hi Jill. Haha.......thanks for the welcome to the forum. Also, nice try with the suggestion to walk.......some people are made to walk and others to cycle....... :)

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
@Jacki. If you change your mind about the dates, I would love the company. I'm really sorry you feel you cannot hike the Camino and have to settle for cycling. I have spent some time reading the posts on this forum, but my "inspiration" actually came from reading a book written by a hiker who did the French route, and not a cyclist......
I don't know how badly you fractured your ankle, but if walking is your passion, you should do your utmost to give the hiking a go
I will definitely keep you updated
Cheers for now :)

Neville, have you seen the maps prepared by Luis Freixo for the Portuguese route. I’ve only looked at the Porto - Santiago portion but wanted to let you know he clearly identifies a wheelchair route, or a path that is suitable for wheeled transport. It might be of interest to you...http://www.caminador.es/
Hi there!
I looked at the link you posted. It seems like a good one. Any options for maps in English?
Thanks!
Ruth

Most read last week in this forum

I Willl start biking from SJPD on 9.may with Ebike. I have a list of bike friendly albergs is there somebody who have experience with charging batery in such alberg. Do i need afdition 220v...
Plan to cycle between Burgos and Leon over three or four days. Are there any interesting detours between these two cities that would take up a 4th day?

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back