• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Cycle

devenney1

I am considering cycling the Plata as I have had a new hip recently. I wonder would it be as cheap to acquire a basic bike in Seville instead of flying a bike from Ireland. A good solid second hand bike would be fine and should not cost a lot. A new basic bike can be bought new from the large sports stores for around ÂŁ100. Just wondering what other people have done to acquire a bicycle. I could probably walk but I am a bit hesitant about some of the long stages. I am thinking about going around the middle of April. Thank you folks. John.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
you can hire bikes, Google is your friend.
And bike you pay ÂŁ100 for is unlikely to be robust enough, nor have quality parts that will withstand the camino. You may find yourself riding on the N640 a lot of the time, rather than on the camino proper.

Devenny 1....I rode the V DLP last year on a hire bike but at a total cost of about 300 euros i could have a bought a basic M T B from Decathlon for about 200 euros and just have given it away in Santiago . That being said , the bike was great , but i also rode the C F a few years ago with an MTB i bought in a French supermarket for 75 euros new , and that bike never had a problem either .
I was planning to ride from Malaga ( camino Mozarabe /VDLP/Sanabres ) in April this year , and to this end i bought a MTB from E bay for ÂŁ16 , will ship it to Malaga with a company called Luggage Mule and just give it away in Santiago .
The VDLP is not that punishing to a bike with front suspension providing you are prepared to do a bit of pushing over some of the more rocky stretches ( i did stick faithfully to the camino ) AND provided you keep the weight down . Last year i took all my luggage in a fold up holdall ,but even with careful planning i could not fit it all in the 2 cycle pannier bags provided with the bike , so this year i am using my own panniers to carry my luggage on the plane and in that way i know i do not have too much .

Hotel Triana in Seville hire bikes as do cyclingthecamino.com in Santiago .

Regards.....John

Last edited:
A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
It costs €50-€62.50 to put your bike (bagged or boxed) on a flight from Dublin to Spain, so buying a secondhand bike in Seville would save you only the hassle or anxiety. I’ve never yet had my bike mangled in transit, although Aer Lingus excelled themselves on the last occasion by mislaying it on both the outbound and return journey. Despite the aggravation, I’d still rather risk taking my own bike than buying something untried and tested. I’ll be arriving in Seville to start the VdlP a month after you. Buen Camino.

an MTB i bought in a French supermarket for 75 euros new , and that bike never had a problem either

How many years ago was that? Must be twice the price now.

Thanks everyone for your advice. I think I will go to the large Decathlon store in Camas and think I will get kitted out with a decent bike and all the accessories for around 200 euros. Then when I make it to Santiago I might decide to cycle back the France to St Jean. I have already walked this route twice in 09' when Martin Sheen was making "The Way" and then again in10' the holy year. And if the bike holds up I could ride on to Salou and meet up with the family who will be holidaying there from end of June. Get my moneys worth. John.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.

Most read last week in this forum

Ivan. I believe I can rent two bikes through you between Burgos and Leon. Can you let me know if this is possible? I plan to arrive in Burgos on 11 May and start cycling the next day. Thanks
Plan to cycle between Burgos and Leon over three or four days. Are there any interesting detours between these two cities that would take up a 4th day?

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back