Search 60,048 Camino Questions

A donation to the forum removes ads for you, and supports Ivar in his work running it

Advertisement
Camino de Santiago of the Canary Islands
The officially recognized Camino de Santiago on the Canary Islands!
how to successfully prepare for your Camino
This book's focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared.

Cycling along VDLP and beyond

bananarama

Past OR future Camino
Frances 2016
Frances 2017
Hello everyone,

Not that interesting a post, just to say that I've accumulated a lot of holiday over the last 2 years. My body and mind need to vent and recover, so in a few weeks I'll be cycling along the VDLP. Never done this route, and because I'll be taking panniers and 35mm tires, I plan to stick to tarmac, unless I know the actual path is doable.

After that I'll jump on the Frances to SJPDP, and after that I'll head north to Cherbourg. I've already cycled the Frances twice, so I'm pretty sure which route to take, and to spice things up a bit, I'll look to stay at different albergues. As for France, there are plenty of campsites to stay at, unless if the weather is atrocious, in which case I'll hit the hostels.

Aside from physical and mental health, I'm looking forward to the Spanish landscape, fresh fruit every day, chocolate flavoured Yop, and chocolate eclairs :)

Buen camino

Attachments

• camino.jpeg
    camino.jpeg
    114.9 KB · Views: 6
Camino Maps
A collection of Camino Maps from the Camino Forum Store
Camino Way Markers
Original Camino Way markers made in bronze. Two models, one from Castilla & Leon and the other from Galicia.

Xali1970

Planning the next one
Past OR future Camino
2016 Primitivo
2018 Pimitivo, VdlP
2022 Too Many
You can stick to the N630 - which is very very quiet traffic wise with often very wide emergency stop lanes along most of it's length all the way to Benavente. From there you can either go to Astorga or to Leon.

the Peregrino online Via de la Plata app has detailed route/gpx files that allows you to stick to the "trail" if you choose to and gives alternate routes for bicycles.

I wouldn't try the walking section between Guillena and Castilblanco without 50mm tyres, the soil is clay and gets very vrey sticky when whet... it's deeply rutted a well. For the rest I cannot recall any particular challenges re terrain other than the national park before Almaden. It's a wonderful cycle on packed earth, but the last mountain is impassable with a bike other than by pushing it up and walking down the other side , or going west on the last dirt road before the mountain, to get back to the SE-5405 (it's detailed on google maps). It will involve climbing over a rather high gate though (i.e. chucking panniers over, gently hoisting and lowering the bike with whatever straps you have. Worth it though.

bananarama

Past OR future Camino
Frances 2016
Frances 2017
Thanks for the advice, really good to know, it seems like I'll be able to use a lot of the "trail". I had also considered using some minor roads in case I got bored of the N630.

Skinnybiker

The Skinny Biker in Spain
Past OR future Camino
Norte, Frances, Primitivo May 2022
By bike
Here's a journal of some guys riding the Via Plata from North to South which may be of interest. A lot of road cos the lads were on road-bikes but the old fella on an MTB managed some off-road; just shows what's possible. FWIW try using Komoot to escape the N630. Buen Camino Richard

bananarama

Past OR future Camino
Frances 2016
Frances 2017
I totally forgot about crazyguyonabike! Thanks for the heads-up, I'll look to mirror roughly what they did.

Camino Magnets
A collection of Camino Fridge Magnets
Peaceable Projects Inc.
Peaceable Projects Inc. is a U.S.-based non-profit group that brings the vast resources of the wide world together with the ongoing needs of the people who live, work, and travel on the Camino de Santiago pilgrim trail network in Spain.

Did not find what you were looking for? Search here

Popular Resources

“All” Albergues on the Camino Frances in one pdf ivar
  • Featured
“All” Albergues on the Camino Frances in one pdf
4.95 star(s) 105 ratings
Downloads
Updated
A selection of favorite albergues on the Camino Francés Ton van Tilburg
Favorite Albergues along the Camino Frances
4.83 star(s) 35 ratings
Downloads