• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Cycling Camino 14/15 August

Craig Nolan

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino de Frances 13/09/2017 ->
Hi All,

Anyone starting the Camino solo this coming weekend?

I am not sure to start from SJPP RON or Pamplona this weekend.

I am seeing weather warnings regarding heatwaves so need to be cautious. If any cyclists want to share the experience with me then let me know.

I am an experienced cyclist but my first journey of this kind.

Looking forward to meet you all.

Craig

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I started in Pamplona few years ago and was able to ride on the Camino most of the time, if you start in SJPdP or Roncevalles you will probably find yourself riding exclusively on roads to Pamplona not on the Camino. These roads are safe but you will be sharing them with cars and trucks, you can probably cover the distance in a day, so my question would be why?

Thank you this is useful for me to know. I think I will start from Pamplona and avoid the roads for sure.

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
Hola @Craig Nolan; I can support my amigo @barritzdon. The early stages of the Camino Frances are not overly cycle friendly. In fact if you look back to my report on my camino in Sep/Oct 2015 you will see that I found the first 3 or 4 days trying to follow the walking pilgrims no joy. I think it was only after Viana that I was truly able to ride the Camino. But even then there are sections around Atapurerca (west to Burgos) that are definitely not for bikes. The heat will really sap your energy,. Buen Camino.

Hola @Craig Nolan; I can support my amigo @barritzdon. The early stages of the Camino Frances are not overly cycle friendly. In fact if you look back to my report on my camino in Sep/Oct 2015 you will see that I found the first 3 or 4 days trying to follow the walking pilgrims no joy. I think it was only after Viana that I was truly able to ride the Camino. But even then there are sections around Atapurerca (west to Burgos) that are definitely not for bikes. The heat will really sap your energy,. Buen Camino.
Please be sure to use your bell! I have walked and cycled this route. Chose to cycle mostly the road as narrow in places and as a walker I was often annoyed and surprised by unannounced cyclists riding up behind me. Be aware that many walkers maybe hard of hearing! Although not on the path as a cyclist you still pass through most of the same towns and stay in same albergues. Bon camino.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Please be sure to use your bell!

This

Chose to cycle mostly the road as narrow in places

And this.

When you get to Sarria, it will be more difficult on the roads as walkers will wander in front of you so you may need to drop the bell and get a klaxon.

Please be sure to use your bell!
Please know that some of us view this comment at the some level as a poster that was posting every time someone asked about walking replying with you have to wear bright neon colors to be seen.

I am an experienced cyclist but my first journey of this kind.
The camino is not that hard of a cycle route. However you would be very wise to not start before dawn like the walkers. I would plan on cycling from about 7am to 2pm or about. Please note that some of walkers will not give way when walking 3+ across the path.

Also note that people that say riding the quiet path and riding the near by roads is the same experience are the same are lying. The difference is very large and as such I would greatly encourage you to ride the camino marked route. Please note there are some places you will need to get off and push due to crowds or difficulty of the route. The less weight you carry the easier it is to ride the marked route. 20 liter panniers or saddlebag with a handlebar bag should be plenty of room with staying in albureges and hotels.

Also please take the time to visit the church on the route, they are peaceful, not generally visited by most and help change the trip from a bike tour to a pilgrimage. Also remember it is not a race but a journey to be savored, stay in small towns and the big cities and take your time to enjoy the peace that can be found on pilgrimage.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.

Most read last week in this forum

Ivan. I believe I can rent two bikes through you between Burgos and Leon. Can you let me know if this is possible? I plan to arrive in Burgos on 11 May and start cycling the next day. Thanks

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back