• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Cycling Camino Frances in December/January

Idajane

Time of past OR future Camino
December-January 2017-2018
Has anyone cycled from Ponferrada to Santiago de Compostella in December/January? My partner and I are thinking of cycling this route from December 24th for 7 nights (200km total). We are open to cycling other sections of the Camino if they are more beautiful/better for the weather at that time of year. Both of us are confident cyclists.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
Has anyone cycled from Ponferrada to Santiago de Compostella in December/January? My partner and I are thinking of cycling this route from December 24th for 7 nights (200km total). We are open to cycling other sections of the Camino if they are more beautiful/better for the weather at that time of year. Both of us are confident cyclists.

I should also say, that based on weather, our second preference would be the Portugal route. Any thoughts?

You do realize that northern Spain has this thing called 'winter', complete with snow and ice and blizzards? Thinking snow shoes may be a better way to go. If you plan to ride the actual trails versus the highway, be prepared to push your bike more than you ride it.
Lots of hazards will be hidden under the snow which will make riding very treacherous. Can't think riding on the icy asphalt roads would be much better. Make sure you have studded tires for your bikes.

Last edited by a moderator:
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
You do realize that northern Spain has this thing called 'winter', complete with snow and ice and blizzards? Thinking snow shoes may be a better way to go. If you plan to ride the actual trails versus the highway, be prepared to push your bike more than you ride it.
Lots of hazards will be hidden under the snow which will make riding very treacherous. Can't think riding on the icy asphalt roads would be much better. Make sure you have studded tires for your bikes.

There's no need to be patronising, I'm obviously new to this and that's why I asked if there anywhere better for the weather at that time of year. The forecasts I have looked at don't predict much snow or blizzards at that time of year, but as they can be wrong, that's why I reached out. Would the Portugal coastal way be better for this in your opinion?

Portugal since it is further south, so likely to have less snow (except at the higher altitude spots) especially if you start from Lisbon. I walked from Porto to Santiago this year, much of it on the central route is pretty close to sea level for much of it, so less chance of snow. Depending if you plan to ride the roads, there is a lot of cobble stones and granite setts which will rattle your teeth out without a fully suspended bike. The off road trails are not too bad, but a few sections for sure that you will be walking or pushing your bike will be necessary even without snow due to the terrain.
You have not specified if you have a road bike or mountain bike.
I ride in the winter in northern Alberta and I find carbide studded tires a necessity. Shaded areas that the sun does not hit on paved roads can mean 'black ice' that you will not see until you are on it. Ask me how I know! You will find the wind chill difficult as even without snow, -C temperatures. especially first thing in the morning and moving at any speed give pretty harsh wind chill values.
Still think biking on either highways or off road in winter conditions is risky in the time frame you are looking at.

I cycled the same route in September where the mornings were down to 5 degrees. Even though I live in a wintry climate and have cycled on studded tires, I would be very wary about cycling this stretch in the winter. I don’t think the weather forecasts would accurately get the road conditions on the mountain crosssings, and the idea of the long descents on icy roads gives me considerable pause. Spanish roads were of good quality and had decent shoulders, but they often had steep ditches adjacent to the road shoulder. A moment’s inattention or a slippery surface could send you into one. It wouldn’t be fatal, but it would likely result in an injury and a damaged bike.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
As a former cyclist myself I would say that the wind chill would likely be unpleasant. But then, perhaps you have the gear to mitigate it.
Be aware that when it rains the trails can turn to mud. Quite deep mud sometimes, and I can't imagine cycling through it, so maybe the roads would be a first choice, if you can face sharing them with vehicles.

Btw, I don't think zrexer was patronising you. In fact, I thought it mildly amusing....

Yeah, in April 2016, I saw a number of cyclists cursing the mud. With the heavy clay (which is typical of Spain) it was just gum-balling on the tires. It did not look like any fun at all. I saw people carrying and pushing their bikes through more than a few sections. It looked so much harder than walking to me. I love cycling but really have no desire to do it on a Camino.

@Idajane where are you from and what cycling have you done (ie. geographic locations)? It might be helpful for us to advise you. If you are experienced in cycling in Norway, for example, then we don't need to explain anything.

The section between Villafranca and Sarria is very likely to get snow, and rain and mud is also pretty much constant in winter in Galicia. If you can plan a route that sticks to minor roads, rather than the camino path, it would be easier but if you do that please, please make sure you have good visibility gear.

The other option is to look at the pilgrim routes in the south of Spain (of which there are many). Of course that may mean not reaching Santiago de Compostela, but perhaps you can save that for another day.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
If you are used to winter cycling and depending on the weather stick to the roads it should be a doddle in 7 days. I would suggest starting in Astorga or even Leon if you are experienced cyclists. If the weather is dry some of the paths may even be sensible though that would cut down on your mileage.

On the Atlantic coast nobody can predict the weather but good luck.

At that time of the year, "better weather" for cycling you will get will be on the...

--Via De La Plata. Southern part.
-- Or, ride southern Portugal to Santiago. But you know the story as you head north....
-- Or, ride Granada to Seville. Won't get you to Santiago. But a option for nice weather riding.
-- Or, Majorca Ditto on nice weather riding.
-- Or, Augusta?

These may not get you to Santiago. But do that on another ride.

There is a bike route along the southern tip of Portugal. Not a Camino. But nice to ride that time of the year. You can find it on the web.

Visiting Cadiz that time of the year is nice. Then ride to Seville. Also nice. But Via Augusta from Cadiz to Seville is not the best as far as markings, route, etc. Read Via Augusta on this forum. From Seville you could then ride part of the Plata.

I grew up in Seville and Ferrol (Galicia) Visit northern Spain often. Now living in Seville. I know what the weather can be up there (where you may be riding)... winds...high winds, wet, cold, damp, and yes snow. And many places closed or shorten hours. Add shorten daylight hours for riding may make for not a nice ride.

Is it possible for you to come at a better time of the year to do a Camino? Possibly days off, schedule, work, family, etc prevent you from riding during a better time of the year??

Hi everyone, thank you so much for your help. Based on what you've said and some of our own research, we have decided to cycle the Portuguese Coastal Route from Porto to Santiago. We would also consider some of the cycles in the south of Spain for better weather. Has anyone done the Portuguese coastal route on a bike or walked it in winter?

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Has anyone done the Portuguese coastal route on a bike or walked it in winter?

Hi Idajane, a few years ago I spent most of Dec and Jan in Porto, and to be quite honest the weather was pretty awful: mostly wet and windy. You would probably be better off staying inland, on the Central Route, where the weather would be calmer. Last year I tried walking the Coastal Route in Feb/Mar, but the wind was too strong, driving the rain at me horizontally off the Atlantic. It would have been impossible on a bike. You might get lucky and hit a week of perfect weather for the time of year, but probably best to go with a Plan B just in case.
Jill

I would agree with Jill, the wind along the coast during that time of year could be problem. As one who rides bikes in boardwalks in Florida, I would find the boardwalks on the Coastal a problem because they are not easy to navigate if you are moving faster than 7km/h; there are way too may turns which are not designed for a bike.

Most read last week in this forum

...I am on day eight of walking the Francés at the moment. It is quite busy. A lot of talk about beds (and the need to book ahead). I don't book. Today I tried really hard not to get a bed. I...
I started from Pamplona this morning for a quick week walking before starting service as a hospitalera next week back in Pamplona. The trail up to Alto de Perdón has only a few big puddles left...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
Ultreia, y'all! I am excited to start my first camino soon and have a question about the first time I use my Pilgrim's Passport. I have one already (purchased from Ivar) but was still planning to...
Hello, I would be grateful for some advice from the ones of you who are walking/have recently walked from SJPdP :) 1 - How busy is the first part of the camino right now? I read some reports of a...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back