• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Cycling Camino, time of day to cycle?

brendan bennett

Time of past OR future Camino
future 2015 sept
Greetings.

Planing to cycle the Frances route in Sept. Is there any utility in starting very early in the morning to avoid traffic? Any other suggesting on time of day to cycle?
Brendan

I should say that I will be shadowing the trail on paved roads.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Many albergues will not admit cyclists until after 6 p.m., so arriving early may not give you an advantage for finding a bed. On the other hand, you can spend the late afternoon relaxing in case you need to ride on another 5km.

We were often the last people walking on the trail after 4:30 p.m. (in April/May). That seemed to be when the bikes were on the trail. I cannot imagine riding in the morning or early afternnoon with so many people walking (many people have headphones on and cannot hear the bikes). I guess if you are not going to be on the trail, it doesn't really matter what time you ride because you will not have to worry about getting around people. I have to say, I felt a little bad for the people on bikes because they missed so much of the moment to moment experience of the Camino.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I would not want to ride many of those roads

We ride the trails on mountain bikes, and ride later in the day than most hikers.

Thank you for your replies. Due to an ankle ankle injury I am unable to hike, I realize that the experience will be different but its the only way I can do this pilgrimage. I am riding a recumbent bike, which makes trail riding impossible.
I guess I am concerned with road traffic and want to avoid as much as possible.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I didn’t find the road traffic all that bad. The drivers were great and many of the roads have large hard shoulders so people don’t get stuck behind you. I don’t think Spain is so very different to any other country – I would avoid cycling in the morning rush hour when everyone is trying to get to work! I found riding during the siesta to be quieter in most places. If you ride in the evening the roads can be empty and you will probably meet local club riders out for a training session after work.

I think you can take quiet approaches into and out of all the cites but make sure you have a good guide book because the quiet road cycle routes aren’t always the same as the walkers route - see if you can find the spiral bound German/Dutch [?] cycling guide. It has great maps showing the detours and of course keep and an eye out for the Jakobsweg bike stickers marking the road route.

Most of the time you are in the middle of nowhere on quiet roads, riding along the old road next to the motorway or riding on cycle paths through a town/city. Places I felt most unsafe were near Roncesvalles because of the low cloud/fog which meant very poor visibility, heading north out of Leon to go to Oviedo (the main road is not safe for bikes... poor advice from tourist office + failure to trust own judgement) and a couple of places where the roads were empty but narrow and mining lorries rumbled past at high speeds.

The Spanish are accustomed to sharing the road with bicycles, so it may be less of a problem than you initially perceive. ;)
I would say that about France, but far less so in Spain. A recent accident which left a prominent pro cyclist brain damaged sparked protests in Spain over the poor regard the drivers have for bikes.

I am planning to do the frances starting on mountain bike finishing on foot because of time restraints i would not be able get whole camino completed in the time is there any way of transporting bike for last 100km to santiago and if so in which way

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I am planning to do the frances starting on mountain bike finishing on foot because of time restraints i would not be able get whole camino completed in the time is there any way of transporting bike for last 100km to santiago and if so in which way
Check out this bicigrino site in English for bike transport ideas.

Jenny & I are cycling from Pamplona (starting around 4 Sep) we expect to be on the bikes around 9.00 am to let all the walkers get out of the way; check the bikes etc and hopefully finish around 4.30 pm depending upon weather and other issues.

Jenny & I are cycling from Pamplona (starting around 4 Sep) we expect to be on the bikes around 9.00 am to let all the walkers get out of the way; check the bikes etc and hopefully finish around 4.30 pm depending upon weather and other issues.
Hello Saint Mike,
I am new to this forum, as I think I am ready to commit to the pilgrimage this year with my son and his wife. I am planning to meet up with them in Pamplona on September 7th, so I was excited to read that you and your wife will be on the trail/road just ahead of us. I would love to hear of your plans. What do you know about the terrain? Any information you can share would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Hello Saint Mike,
I am new to this forum, as I think I am ready to commit to the pilgrimage this year with my son and his wife. I am planning to meet up with them in Pamplona on September 7th, so I was excited to read that you and your wife will be on the trail/road just ahead of us. Thanks.
Hola AdaR - no the lady I was to travel with is not my wife - just another pilgrim who is more than a little crazy about the Camino. I say "was to cycle with" - unfortunately she had a bad fall two months back at will only be in attendance as a non-participating pilgrim. I have done a bit of tweaking of my plans and will arrive in Pamplona on 3 Sep and expect to be on the cycle road on the 5th or 6th. Cheers

Last edited:

Most read last week in this forum

I have walked several caminos since 2013 and am hoping to experience the Primitivo in September. Recently I have developed a nasty intermittent pain in the ball of my feet, especially the left...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.