• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Cycling el Camino del Norte/Primitivo

saltytraveler

Time of past OR future Camino
none yet!
Hey there, I'm looking to mountain bike el camino del norte/primitivo possibly in September of 2018. I liked the path taken by these bloggers here. Basically I would love to mountain bike on trails as much as possible, though I realize the pavement will help me gain some mileage here and there. I'm attracted to the scenery of the northern route. It seems like this northern route might be a little more confusing with more options and a little less straight-forward than the Frances? It seems like every YouTube video I watch of el camino del norte, it looks like people are going slightly different ways (or maybe just editing out different parts of their videos.. haha...) Any tips on planning and staying on the correct path?

I have seen that most people are completing this route in 11 days or less. I'm in great (I feel... haha...) physical condition so I feel like I should be able accomplish that but I've heard this route is a little harder.

One of my biggest concerns is that I plan on arriving to Spain alone from the USA. I love traveling alone and having the opportunity to meet new people and be able to do my own thing. I'm not particularly afraid of traveling alone and I speak (Latin American) Spanish. But I would love to deliberately connect with other people who are planning on completing the same route on a similar schedule.... maybe people from all different places? I also think with cycling, I'm maybe more prone to accidents off the beaten path and I would love to be in a group for the "safety in numbers" factor. I would love to go in September but other than that I'm pretty flexible on specifics. I'm fine with renting a bike and using maps, etc. and I don't want to spend the money on a guided tour... just would love to find a group to tag along with... or create a group! Any thoughts where I might be able to connect with others in the same boat? Either I could find a group to connect with or create one?

Thanks for your thoughts!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Hey saltytraveler!

I too am interested in cycling el Camino Del Norte this coming summer! I am from the US as well and would really love to travel with someone else.
Please send me a message if you are interested in connecting and potentially making a plan!

Looking forward to hearing back from you!

Hey saltytraveler!

I too am interested in cycling el Camino Del Norte this coming summer! I am from the US as well and would really love to travel with someone else.
Please send me a message if you are interested in connecting and potentially making a plan!

Looking forward to hearing back from you!
hey there! that's cool to see that someone else is thinking of cycling el norte! what's your time frame? i kind of have a fairly set date at this point... and hoping i can make it to the other side to catch a plane! ;) i'm also still torn between doing el norte and the CF. i keep hearing that you MUST do the CF if it's your first camino and i think i would like the social aspect but el norte looks super beautiful! what makes you want to do el norte?

A selection of Camino Jewellery
My husband's knees can't handle distance walking and my knees can't handle distance bicycling and I want him to come with me on the Salvador to Oviedo and then the Primitivo. So I'm also looking for advice for bicycling those routes.

Only one word of advice or perhaps a request - Bell, and don't hold back on using it.

You may find all those disjointed videos are attributable to editing out all the interactions with hikers. Both the Norte and the Primitivo are a mixture of road, track and pathway. Cyclists and walkers are not a good mix on narrow, rough pathways with little room for evasion. Even the very good advice above to fit a bell and use it is of little use in an environment where there is nowhere to go but ahead.

There are excellent published guides to cycling both Caminos by routes that will provide both spectacle and pleasure. Please just remember that the Caminos are pilgrimage paths not leisure facilities.

As a ps; the link you've provided above doesn't work for me but that may be because I'm a grouchy pilgrim rather than a mountain-biker ;0)

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I agree. It is a lot safer for walkers and I think probably less frustrating for cyclists if they'd stick to the pavement instead of the trail wherever possible.

@saltytraveler, did you end up doing this trip? I'm in nearly the exact same boat -- choosing between the CF and the Norte/Primitivo, coming from the States by myself, aiming for September, and not quite looking to do it TOTALLY alone (would be great to meet people and mix that in with solitary time). Let me know how it went for you! <3

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
@saltytraveler, did you end up doing this trip? I'm in nearly the exact same boat -- choosing between the CF and the Norte/Primitivo, coming from the States by myself, aiming for September, and not quite looking to do it TOTALLY alone (would be great to meet people and mix that in with solitary time). Let me know how it went for you! <3
HI Fin ,
M p,manning a Camino Del Norte with a friend of mine in mid Sept. If you are interested to join. Should be around the 12-15 of September. We r still working out the logistics. I have made contacts with several people to ask about logistics and awaiting their replies. We will be starting our trip from Barcelona and heading to San Sebastian as a starting point..

Most read last week in this forum

Hi all! I walked the Le Puy to Roncesvalles route last spring, and now I am thinking of Arles to Compostela on the Norte in the fall. I have many questions. I have downloaded the WP Norte App. I...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.