• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Cycling El Camino Frances December/January

Ceil

Time of past OR future Camino
(2018)
Hi, I am looking at cycling the El Camino Frances December/January 2017/2018 with my 16-year-old son. I know you can walk it in winter and have been searching for information on cycling it in winter but have not found much information. Is this even possible or is it a crazy idea? I am interested to know about the riding conditions in winter. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I am impressed with your ambition. Welcome to the forum.
I walked it in the spring so my only impute Is ice, winds, temperature & elevation. I am assuming you will start in Pamplona due to the possibility of deep snow in the Pyrenees. If you search the site for winter Camino you should get some of your questions answered.
Buen Camino

Consider theVia de la Plata. The first 2/3 should have milder weather. Also looks lovely for biking.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
Further west beyond the Pyrenees other difficult CF stretches after winter storms might be from Najera to Santo Domingo de la Calzada or across the Montes de Oca from Villafranca as well as Monte Irago and, of course, to and from O Cebreiro.

Be to check out this recent Forum thread and links for many tips to help you consider/plan a winter camino.
https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/a-winter-camino.35819/

Happy research and Buen camino!

Last edited:
Welcome to the forum @Ceil !

How experienced are you and your son when it comes to biking and do you plan to bring your own bikes or to hire some? As others have already pointed out, winter tends to be wet/rainy with some cold/frost/snow thrown in and that can mean mud and frozen mud if you are unlucky. On the other hand you can be lucky and have mostly dry, sunny days.

Buen Camino, SY

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Welcome to the forum @Ceil !

How experienced are you and your son when it comes to biking and do you plan to bring your own bikes or to hire some? As others have already pointed out, winter tends to be wet/rainy with some cold/frost/snow thrown in and that can mean mud and frozen mud if you are unlucky. On the other hand you can be lucky and have mostly dry, sunny days.

Buen Camino, SY
I would prefer to do it in a milder season however, our main school holidays are December/January and we are both very keen on this trail. We are planning to bring our own bikes and gear. My son is very capable and fit, he has just hiked the Kokoda Track in New Guinea. I was in my younger days a very keen cyclist and 20 + years ago did a 600 km tour including the Bloomfield Track (4WD track in Far North Queensland Australia, 150 km's of rough dirt over a couple of ranges). It's a good thing I have 12 months to train! My main concern is coping with the cold and snow, we live in Australia on the Sunshine Coast "Beautiful One Day, Perfect The Next". We have plenty of time to hang if the weather is unkind. Knowing there is a chance of some mostly dry, sunny days is encouraging. Thank you.

Further west beyond the Pyrenees other difficult CF stretches after winter storms might be from Najera to Santo Domingo de la Calzada or across the Montes de Oca from Villafranca as well as Monte Irago and, of course, to and from O Cebreiro.

Be to check out this recent Forum thread and links for many tips to help you consider/plan a winter camino.
https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/a-winter-camino.35819/

Happy research and Buen camino!
Thank you for the advice and link, I will check it out. Forums and the El Camino Frances is all new to me, lots of research ahead.

I am impressed with your ambition. Welcome to the forum.
I walked it in the spring so my only impute Is ice, winds, temperature & elevation. I am assuming you will start in Pamplona due to the possibility of deep snow in the Pyrenees. If you search the site for winter Camino you should get some of your questions answered.
Buen Camino
Thank you, Ivar. I will do as you have suggested and search for winter Camino. I didn’t want to miss the Pyrenees but will play it as it comes.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
My two cents, which really isn't worth that much is to ask you two questions:
1. Why do you want to cycle it?
2. Is it a pilgrimage or an adventure ride you are after?
I ask because I have both cycled it and walked it. As an adventure ride, I give it a "meh". There are much better rides out there and certainly on your quadrant of the planet. In fact, I just received my visa to travel in Australia. I'll be bringing my bike and I'm very excited. When I rode it was late in the year and there were a few days when it was just bitter cold. Especially around Leon and La Meseta.
If it's a pilgrimage you are after, walking was much more profound for me for many reasons. The biggest being, the time for reflection and contemplation. It was a bit of a mental game as well. As cycling can be.
So, consider these two questions since you asked your question.
Keep us posted,
R

there are several stretches of the Camino Frances where bikes must take the to the roadways. These stretches are most often on twisty, mountainous two-lane roads that would be impassible on a bike in bad weather. I've driven my car over Foncebadon and Cebreiro many times in the dead of winter, and it's DANGEROUS up there, with heavy fog, stretches of ice, and wind-driven snow. Walking the camino in winter is tough enough. Biking it, especially some of the mountainous sections, would be dangerous. IMHO.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I have biked the Camino Frances twice. It is treacherous enough in rainy, windy conditions on a bike whether on the road or at times on the path and I agree with Rebekah that the mountainous sections could be very dangerous in icy, foggy, snowy winter conditions. Planning to walk in the coming year and looking forward to being a peregrina instead of a bicigrina this time. It will be nice to forego the hassle of transporting the bikes to Spain and having to find a place to lock them up every night and having to ride on the shoulder of some pretty busy highways. Plus, the clothes I carry will be good for day or evening since I won't have to be concerned with the extra load of biking shorts, etc.

Having said that, it is your camino and you should travel whichever way suits you and your son.

Buen Camino!
Judy

Rebekah & Judy are touching on a point about winter the OP simply may have never experienced & that is below freezing temperatures. I have a tragic example of a mother & son passing thru my area in the Rockies in winter.
They were in a vehicle & depending on a GPS to get them to a small town, they were not from the cold part of the U.S. They had no warm coats or any type of warm blankets. Not even a hat. The Gps used was set to use secondary (dirt) roads. They simply used it to turn onto a forest road that in the summer was passable. In the winter locals know it is at individual risk, no government responsibility. They were found a week after the family put out a request to locate. They survived less than 8 hours after turning onto that road. The son had left the vehicle thinking he could walk thru the mountains for help. The mother getting worried about her son set off after him. If you have no experience with winter conditions please do your best to educate yourself.

My two cents, which really isn't worth that much is to ask you two questions:
1. Why do you want to cycle it?
2. Is it a pilgrimage or an adventure ride you are after?
I ask because I have both cycled it and walked it. As an adventure ride, I give it a "meh". There are much better rides out there and certainly on your quadrant of the planet. In fact, I just received my visa to travel in Australia. I'll be bringing my bike and I'm very excited. When I rode it was late in the year and there were a few days when it was just bitter cold. Especially around Leon and La Meseta.
If it's a pilgrimage you are after, walking was much more profound for me for many reasons. The biggest being, the time for reflection and contemplation. It was a bit of a mental game as well. As cycling can be.
So, consider these two questions since you asked your question.
Keep us posted,
R
Hi, thank you for your response. To answer your questions:
1. We would both prefer to cycle than walk.
2. I really just want to take my son overseas on an epic journey that is adventurous, exciting as in somewhere different, moderately strenuous and a bit of a challenge.
I love the idea of the El Camino Frances because of the history, the small distances between villages, you can stop where and when you feel like it and it is just so very different from Australia. After reading the different responses to my question I feel it would be too much of a challenge with the cold and snow. Do you have any suggestions as to where we might go in December/January to do a cycle tour? Glad to hear you are coming to Australia with your bike, if there are any questions you want to ask I am happy to answer them if I can, it is a beautiful part of the world and I hope you have the best time. Where do you plan on going?

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
there are several stretches of the Camino Frances where bikes must take the to the roadways. These stretches are most often on twisty, mountainous two-lane roads that would be impassible on a bike in bad weather. I've driven my car over Foncebadon and Cebreiro many times in the dead of winter, and it's DANGEROUS up there, with heavy fog, stretches of ice, and wind-driven snow. Walking the camino in winter is tough enough. Biking it, especially some of the mountainous sections, would be dangerous. IMHO.
Hi, after reading the different responses I think it would be too challenging and dangerous to do in December/January. Thank you for your response, it is great to be able to ask those that have experience.

I have biked the Camino Frances twice. It is treacherous enough in rainy, windy conditions on a bike whether on the road or at times on the path and I agree with Rebekah that the mountainous sections could be very dangerous in icy, foggy, snowy winter conditions. Planning to walk in the coming year and looking forward to being a peregrina instead of a bicigrina this time. It will be nice to forego the hassle of transporting the bikes to Spain and having to find a place to lock them up every night and having to ride on the shoulder of some pretty busy highways. Plus, the clothes I carry will be good for day or evening since I won't have to be concerned with the extra load of biking shorts, etc.

Having said that, it is your camino and you should travel whichever way suits you and your son.

Buen Camino!
Judy
Hello, after reading the different responses I feel it would be too challenging and dangerous to do in December/January. Thank you for your response, it is great to be able to ask those who have experience. Enjoy your Camino next year.

Rebekah & Judy are touching on a point about winter the OP simply may have never experienced & that is below freezing temperatures. I have a tragic example of a mother & son passing thru my area in the Rockies in winter.
They were in a vehicle & depending on a GPS to get them to a small town, they were not from the cold part of the U.S. They had no warm coats or any type of warm blankets. Not even a hat. The Gps used was set to use secondary (dirt) roads. They simply used it to turn onto a forest road that in the summer was passable. In the winter locals know it is at individual risk, no government responsibility. They were found a week after the family put out a request to locate. They survived less than 8 hours after turning onto that road. The son had left the vehicle thinking he could walk thru the mountains for help. The mother getting worried about her son set off after him. If you have no experience with winter conditions please do your best to educate yourself.
Hi, you are correct I have no experience with winter conditions. Having read and taken on board the responses received I feel it would be too challenging and dangerous to do in December/January. Thank you for your further response, it is great to be able to ask those with experience and make informed decisions.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Hi, thank you for your response. To answer your questions:
1. We would both prefer to cycle than walk.
2. I really just want to take my son overseas on an epic journey that is adventurous, exciting as in somewhere different, moderately strenuous and a bit of a challenge.
I love the idea of the El Camino Frances because of the history, the small distances between villages, you can stop where and when you feel like it and it is just so very different from Australia. After reading the different responses to my question I feel it would be too much of a challenge with the cold and snow. Do you have any suggestions as to where we might go in December/January to do a cycle tour? Glad to hear you are coming to Australia with your bike, if there are any questions you want to ask I am happy to answer them if I can, it is a beautiful part of the world and I hope you have the best time. Where do you plan on going?
Glad my comments might have been helpful. Sin e I don't really know what you're cycling, travel or outdoor proficiency is, it's a little tough to make suggestions. Not sure how much time you said you had.
Here is a website from one of your compatriots from the land down under: http://www.cycletrailsaustralia.com/
It seems like there are parts of Autralia that are not awful during summer. However, having said that...
I cycled in Central America last winter. I didn't make it to Nicaragua but I've heard it's amazing!
It really depends on time frame, type of cycling, mileage and all that. Are you camping, credit card touring? What type of bikes, strictly road, some off road etc. If you have a FB account there are several chcle touring forums. People from all over tbe world are posting. Just click around, you'll find them.
Keep us posted.
R
Hi, you are correct I have no experience with winter conditions. Having read and taken on board the responses received I feel it would be too challenging and dangerous to do in December/January. Thank you for your further response, it is great to be able to ask those with experience and make informed decisions.

@Ceil good decision to rethink. It is hard for us Australians to visualise the bad conditions caused by the combination of latitude, mountains and terrain on the Camino Frances. It is about the same latitude north as Hobart is south, but at a much higher altitude. As well as snow, ice, mud and fog, there can also be a ferocious wind which would make biking very uncomfortable.

Hopefully you may have the opportunity to do it one year in the European summer.

Good decision, so why not walk it? Buen Camino, SY

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
@Ceil good decision to rethink. It is hard for us Australians to visualise the bad conditions caused by the combination of latitude, mountains and terrain on the Camino Frances. It is about the same latitude north as Hobart is south, but at a much higher altitude. As well as snow, ice, mud and fog, there can also be a ferocious wind which would make biking very uncomfortable.

Hopefully you may have the opportunity to do it one year in the European summer.
Thank you. Yes, that is my plan to do it in a milder season. Unfortunately, that will be a few years away.

Better to walk now than to wait for biking it 'someday in the future' (which may come never). Most people regret more the things they haven't done than the things they have done. Something to think about. Buen Camino, SY

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Glad my comments might have been helpful. Sin e I don't really know what you're cycling, travel or outdoor proficiency is, it's a little tough to make suggestions. Not sure how much time you said you had.
Here is a website from one of your compatriots from the land down under: http://www.cycletrailsaustralia.com/
It seems like there are parts of Autralia that are not awful during summer. However, having said that...
I cycled in Central America last winter. I didn't make it to Nicaragua but I've heard it's amazing!
It really depends on time frame, type of cycling, mileage and all that. Are you camping, credit card touring? What type of bikes, strictly road, some off road etc. If you have a FB account there are several chcle touring forums. People from all over tbe world are posting. Just click around, you'll find them.
Keep us posted.
R
Thank you for your response. I will check out the link you sent and the Cycle Touring Forums on Facebook. Yes, there are parts of Australia that are not awful during summer, where I live is one of them. Cheers

Better to walk now than to wait for biking it 'someday in the future' (which may come never). Most people regret more the things they haven't done than the things they have done. Something to think about. Buen Camino, SY
My son and I would simply prefer to ride it then walk it, the only school holidays long enough are during December/January. MY Camino will have to wait until my son has finished his schooling at the end of 2018. Cheers

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...
I was reading somewhere that some of us are doing night walks. As a natural born night owl I would love to do such walk too. Of course I can choose stage by myself (CF). But was wondering if any...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back