• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Cycling el Frances in June

Joao Barbosa

Time of past OR future Camino
I've cycled from Chaves (Portugal) to Santiago, and want to do the Frances from SJPP.
Hi Everyone.
I'm starting my Cycling in SJPP on the 11th June 2015 in SJPP, and intend to reach Santiago on the 20th June.
I'm on my own, so if you have any advice, or if you want to join me that would be great.
Thanks

Joao

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Hi Joaoa - many refugios won't book a cyclist in until about 7pm, this is to allow for the arrival of exhausted late walking pilgrims. The idea being that if it is full then it is easier for a cyclist to move on to the next town and the next refugio.
Walking pilgrims are "given" a set of other pilgrims on the first day they set out and meet, lose, and meet again those same people - sometimes life-long friendships start from those "accidental" meetings. Cyclists cover much greater distances (I see you intend to do it in nine days!) so they never have that camarderie, that sharing and learning ... it can feel very isolating. To be in a refugio seeing groups of pilgrims who all know each other, their laughter and moaning and sharing and to be somehow excluded from that - it can be difficult .... just so that you are aware.

Buen Camino

p.s. - nine days sounds like you will mainly be cycling on roads rather than the Camino - whichever way you go - make sure you mount a bell on your bike!!!

Walking pilgrims are "given" a set of other pilgrims on the first day they set out and meet, lose, and meet again those same people - sometimes life-long friendships start from those "accidental" meetings. Cyclists cover much greater distances (I see you intend to do it in nine days!) so they never have that camarderie, that sharing and learning

Actually, we have had the exact same experience with other cyclists who move more or less at the same pace. We meet them over and over, and many became good friends.

Nine days is pushing it from SJPP if you are riding the actual trail. . The fastest we have done it was 15 days, including one rest day. There will be many walkers to pass, and you need to slow down to walking pace, say hello and pass politely. It helps to ride late in the day after the walkers are spread out or lined up at their favorite albergue.

The route is a very mediocre road ride, but a superb mountain bike ride, so I would recommend riding the actual trail.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
ooppss - sorry Newfy dog - of course, cyclists who do the same distances will meet again and generate their own esprit de corps! I suppose I was thinking of his nine days!

David, the idea is to have all the hotels booked prior to departure in order not to take risks.
The spirit I think you have the moment you decide to do it, and hopefully I'll meet a lot of people along the way.
Maybe 9 days is really pushing it i have to take that into consideration and study it a little bit more.

But thanks you both for your help.

ah, you are talking to the wrong person here - I think risks are really important to take - I'm a fly by the seat of your pants sort of person - don't believe in booking in anywhere, just being open each day to whatever manifests.
Buen Camino

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Maybe 9 days is really pushing it i have to take that into consideration and study it a little bit more.

If you are on the trail on a mountain bike nine days is pushing it. If you ride roads on a road bike nine days is nothing. If you want to mix the two you'll need to do a fair bit of research on what parts you want to miss.

If you are on the trail on a mountain bike nine days is pushing it. If you ride roads on a road bike nine days is nothing. If you want to mix the two you'll need to do a fair bit of research on what parts you want to miss.

Where can I research that, are there any guides or books?

Hola Joao - there are a number of books on cycling the Camino. I bought one (but its now on loan so I am not exactly certain of the title - I will add it later!) - it covers the Camino from Le Puy to SJPP and thence to Santiago. It details routes etc, but the guides for walking are sometimes better as they have better info on alburges, casa rurals etc and the maps also provide info on altitude changes each day. There are a lot of ups and downs!!
As for you time to complete the Camino - well unless you have seen this part of Spain before I would be including at least 2 maybe 3 extra days - Burgos and Leon are both worth extra days to explore. Buen Camino!!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
You still have not told us what type of bike you will ride and if you will ride trails or roads. If you have not decided that it is tough to plan at all.

here's some threads you might look at.

https://www.caminodesantiago.me/com...g-various-caminos-good-better-and-best.16273/

On google earth you can see the entire route and see if you want to be on the trail or road

https://www.caminodesantiago.me/com...the-camino-in-google-earth.12695/#post-204730

And this will show you in 4 minutes what a lot of the trail looks like:

David, the idea is to have all the hotels booked prior to departure in order not to take risks.
The spirit I think you have the moment you decide to do it, and hopefully I'll meet a lot of people along the way.

Hi Joao
There are plenty of private albergues that have no issue with bikes, and are still very reasonably priced.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
You still have not told us what type of bike you will ride and if you will ride trails or roads. If you have not decided that it is tough to plan at all.

here's some threads you might look at.

https://www.caminodesantiago.me/com...g-various-caminos-good-better-and-best.16273/

On google earth you can see the entire route and see if you want to be on the trail or road

https://www.caminodesantiago.me/com...the-camino-in-google-earth.12695/#post-204730

And this will show you in 4 minutes what a lot of the trail looks like:

Hi, newfydog.
I'm using my canyon full suspension mountain bike, and I will use both trail and road depending on time and how tired i am.
I've already booked all the hotels along the way, so I will have a route to follow. I prefer it this way since I will be alone.
Two years ago i did the Portuguese way from Chaves (three days), always on trail, and it was fantastic.
Now I will start planning the exact route to follow.

Hi Joao -

The book Mike's talking about is "The Way of St James - A Cyclists' Guide" by John Higginson. It's published by Cicerone. Mike very kindly lent the book to me recently to check out as we're doing a bike camino together from Pamplona out to Finisterre this September.

The book covers the Le Puy route to SJPDP and then the Frances to Santiago. It's a small book - the size of a notebook - and if you were to split the book (sorry to all booklovers for suggesting that you butcher a book!) the SJPDP-Santiago part would be really light to pack. Of course the book might be available as a download - 'haven't checked that out. The guidebook is concise and has all the usual information that you find in guidebooks plus information on the surfaces you'll strike on each stage and warnings where the path can be tricky - eg down into Molinaseca from the Cruz de Ferro.

If you can possibly manage to take some extra time off from work or studies for your camino, that would be fantastic - there's so much that's so magical about being out there, on those ancient paths, meeting amazing people from all over the world and knowing that you're joining the many millions who've been on those paths before you over many, many centuries since Pagan times - the vibe's incredible and it's really something to savour.

Buen Camino!

Hi Joao -

The book Mike's talking about is "The Way of St James - A Cyclists' Guide" by John Higginson. It's published by Cicerone. Mike very kindly lent the book to me recently to check out as we're doing a bike camino together from Pamplona out to Finisterre this September.
!

That is one awful guidebook. It ought to be retitled: "how one guy on a road bike got to Santiago"

Sorry, but I took that book (chopped up) on the ride and decided it really offered little more than what a map already shows.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Hi, newfydog.
I'm using my canyon full suspension mountain bike, and I will use both trail and road depending on time and how tired i am.

OK! I'd go trail nearly the entire way. Nine days might be tough if you are not a strong rider of if there is mud to contend with.

I'll repost a bit from a summary I wrote for a friend. It is a bit old, so corrections on current conditions would be welcome!:

The route is not difficult mountain biking, more often it is on a dirt road rather than a hiking trail. There is not much pavement, maybe 10% in the first half and 30% for the rest of it. It is a wonderful ride and it would be a shame to miss it by riding the roads. There are people who ride road bikes on paved alternative routes, but unlike France, where the roads are wonderful, much of the route is crowded with high speed truck traffic. We followed the walker's route 95% of the way, and only walked our bikes about 2 km in the entire trip.

The Route

The first year we started in Pamplona but if one is in reasonable shape and has time the traditional start is in St. Jean Pie de Port. St. Jean is a nice town and the climb over the Pyrenees is beautiful. We rode the hikers route, most of which is paved, and, even rode the trail through the grassy alpine meadow at the top. A road biker from Germany went with us and made it without destroying his rims.

From the ancient monastery at Roncevalles the route alternates between smooth graveled paths and some of the roughest trail of the trip. I would recommend leaving the trail for the road for much of the trip to Pamplona. Be sure to enter Pamplona on the trail, through the old town gate.

From Pamplona to Burgos the trail is nearly all dirt, up and down many short hills and really nice riding. Be sure to take the left fork past Estella to see the Monastery and Bodega at Irache. The Bodega offers the Fuente del Vino, the wine fountain where you can fill your bike bottles with free wine.

Coming into Burgos can be the worst part of the trip. The signs vanish and you get dumped onto a busy road. The arrows fork just after a large autostrade overpass. The left fork worked very well last year while the right fork was a mess the year before.

The old parts of Leon are very nice, I think more interesting than Burgos.

There are two routes from Leon to Hospital de Orbiga. The southern route is much nicer than the northern route, which is right on a busy road. Just don’t miss the amazing bridge at Orbiga, where the knights jousted. There is a good hotel right on the west side of the bridge. There is another fork leaving Hospital de Orbiga with the northern route being good for mountain bikers and the southern route not too bad but again near the road. The northern route is not on some maps, but it the trails rejoin just before Astorga.

The climb to the Cruz de Fer is the highest point. Many pilgrims bring a small rock from home to leave at the base of the cross, producing a true geologic wonder. We carried Oregon pumice, a rock light enough to float! The trail can be nasty but the road is very nice.

The climb from Villa Franca del Bierzo to O Cebrero is mostly paved. There is a trail for the upper part but for a bike it is best to take the nearly abandoned road next to the trail. Pump the tires to road pressure this day! O Cebrero is interesting but a bit touristy and often in the fog. The descent to Triacastela will bring you to quieter cheaper places to stay. We have descended on the rough trail, but a short road detour makes a quick smooth ride down.

The trail forks at Triacastela. The northern fork is the best ride of the whole trip. The southern route through Samos is supposed to be nice but on the main road. I wouldn’t miss the ancient roads to the north.

From Melide to Santiago is 75 km with 1440 meters of climbing, but the trail is great so it can be done in a day. Many pilgrims walk just the last 200 km so there are many places to stay towards the end of the trail.
If there is a Botefumeiro ceremony at the cathedral in Santiago go early and get a good seat!

cruz.JPG

A slower part of the trail.

Last edited:
Reading about it last night I've increased the trip for 10 day journey.
All the hotels are booked, and I'm thinking of hiring (www.hike-tech.com) to take my luggage everyday from one stop to the other.
This will allow me to be lighter in weight, and to have a different pace.

That is one awful guidebook. It ought to be retitled: "how one guy on a road bike got to Santiago"

Sorry, but I took that book (chopped up) on the ride and decided it really offered little more than what a map already shows.
Hi newfydog - I thought the book was a really good little book and that it would serve our purposes well, but I'd appreciate any suggestions you have on cycling guides to the Frances so we can research those as well. I have the CSJ book "The Cycling Pilgrim" by John Curtin which is a supplement to the main guide they publish - this has a lot of useful, general information with only brief notes on the stages themselves.
Cheers - Jenny

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I might be a bit harsh on that book. In his own words he admits it is not well researched. "we would have to devise our own route....avoiding the actual Camino ...The following guide is not perfect or definitive...it is simply our way of achieving our goal."

So, they didn't try any alternatives to find what is the best bike route, they just went and documented their route.

I would not ride a road bike to Santiago, but I had to find a route, I'd put the Camino on Google Earth and then map out a nearby route, using many more small local roads than that guide does. .

We have better tools in a smartphone today than he had anywhere when he did the guide (August 1997).

I might be a bit harsh on that book. In his own words he admits it is not well researched. "we would have to devise our own route....avoiding the actual Camino ...The following guide is not perfect or definitive...it is simply our way of achieving our goal."

So, they didn't try any alternatives to find what is the best bike route, they just went and documented their route.

I would not ride a road bike to Santiago, but I had to find a route, I'd put the Camino on Google Earth and then map out a nearby route, using many more small local roads than that guide does. .

We have better tools in a smartphone today than he had anywhere when he did the guide (August 1997).

Cheers newfydog - thanks for your advice - it's great advice and I appreciate it.

Mike and I hope to stick to the paths as much as we can - doing a combination of cruisey cycling on the easier stretches and walking with the mountain bikes where the going's tougher, being slow and careful. Being realistic, there'll be times when we'll need to take to the road - that's for sure. We're lucky that time's not an issue so we can take the whole bike camino really leisurely and make the most of every day.

Thanks again - Jenny

Cheers newfydog - thanks for your advice - it's great advice and I appreciate it.

Mike and I hope to stick to the paths as much as we can - doing a combination of cruisey cycling on the easier stretches and walking with the mountain bikes where the going's tougher, being slow and careful. Being realistic, there'll be times when we'll need to take to the road - that's for sure. We're lucky that time's not an issue so we can take the whole bike camino really leisurely and make the most of every day.

Thanks again - Jenny

That is a very good approach. I can say that there are some nice "cruisey" sections, and very few which trick you into taking a good looking trail which soon degenerates into a nasty section. I have fallen into that trap elsewhere more times than I care to talk about..

You're all going to have a great trip. I promise that!

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
That is a very good approach. I can say that there are some nice "cruisey" sections, and very few which trick you into taking a good looking trail which soon degenerates into a nasty section. I have fallen into that trap elsewhere more times than I care to talk about..

You're all going to have a great trip. I promise that!
Cheers newfydog - it's all going to be fantastic - can't wait!

Hello - I'm a newbie here, and discovered this forum through a search for info on the Luquin option out of Estella. I'm aware that this can be picked up in Villatuerta, but rather liked Estella - and Irache. After reading that thread, I went to the forum home and found a cycling thread. A few responses to quotes in this thread:

> Nine days is pushing it from SJPP if you are riding the actual trail.

I'd say that nine days is pushing it riding on the roads. Doing it so quickly suggests that you're not planning to do much exploring of the communities, architecture and history that make the Camino what it is.

> The route is a very mediocre road ride

My group - and doubtless hundreds of others, had an extremely different experience. The variance may be due to your considering it a "ride", vs. a journey. We did a lot of research before our trip, planned good routes, and made a point of including rest/exploration days in Burgos and Leon along with daily non-cycling activities.

> That is one awful guidebook. It ought to be retitled: "how one guy on a road bike got to Santiago"

I agree with your suggested title. We did include it in our research, but his days were so insanely short that we doubled them up, and stayed in alternate locations sometimes.

> I have the CSJ book "The Cycling Pilgrim" by John Curtin

My experience is that it's more of a pamphlet then a book, but it is a valuable supplement to the Higgenson book, and their alternate routes are better than his - but then, they had his pioneering work to build on.

> Coming into Burgos can be the worst part of the trip.

That's only true if you didn't research the options and stayed on N-120 the whole way.
I arranged to get a copy of the Dutch guide for the Camino Frances (they have two others, from the Netherlands to Paris, and from there to the Pyrenees), which provided a great entry from 14 Km east of the city.

However, we decided to try our own alternate route up to that point, which provided perhaps the best day of riding of the entire trip. We crossed N-120 in Belorado, and then climbed to Pradoluengo, then higher up into the fog, and descended to Arlanzon. As a result, we had less than 4 Km on N-120 the entire day.

The Jakobs-Radweg book by BikeLine/Esterbauer (978-3-85000-166-3) also uses the Dutch route around the Montes de Oca. Although the text is in German, the maps are 1:75,000 !!!, and also show the walking route (compare to Michelin at 1:400,000). It's "internally" (almost indestructible) spiral-bound, but at 12 x 23 cm will require a fairly large map compartment on your handlebar bag, or separate map display gear. The Dutch (and apparently Germans) also have a far superior final stage, with a far less busy entry into Santiago.

I also got a copy of the route used by the Cycling Through the Centuries tour operator, and they usually rode what I considered the best options - including a much better entry to Leon than the walking path, or the roads along it. As it turned out, they ran a trip just a week before ours, and we were able to often use their chalk marks, including right up to our hostal in Leon, as I knew it was the same one that they used.

When I was initially researching our Camino some 11 years ago, I discovered that all the forums were walker-oriented, so started the Santiago_Biciclete Yahoo Group. It's very quiet, but still has lots of members, and never was a particularly chatty forum. However, when people ask questions, they usually get lots of experienced answers.

I had lost interest in the Camino, but have just recently started considering another go at it, riding a mountain bike and combining the best segments of the path and quiet roads. I would do even more research on the history and architecture, and ride around all the villages (and towns) on the walking route. I have been using both satellite and street-view to look at the options, and am up to Los Arcos so far.

I'm actually doing my route marking on Ride With GPS, which uses the Google base maps (not very good for Spain) and satellite view, but provides a cyclist-friendly interface with additional map bases available. If you're using roads, a single click can advance your route several miles at a time. My experience so far is that it recognizes some of the Camino as "roads", but other times I need to use the "Draw a Line" option - after looking at a very zoomed-in landscape in satellite view.

For anyone not familiar with this site/tool, here is my first attempt at Pamplona to Puenta la Reina:

http://ridewithgps.com/routes/6887337

Has anyone here visited the ruins in Guendulain - they look fascinating from above? I'm currently thinking of skirting Alto der Perdon to the east, passing through Esparza on what look to be quiet roads. This would also allow me to take the route through Biarrun and Ucar that I had looked for out of Campanas in vain on my first Camino. In satellite view I can now see why I couldn't find it - the farm road I'd seen on an old Spanish provincial map is now interrupted by some sort of commercial facility, which we had ridden to and turned around at. This route would also bring me past the Templar chapel at Eunate, which is well worth seeing again.

Charles

Hey Newfy - thats an interest review of a book. Yes I will agree some of route descriptions could be better and I probably wont be taking it with us. So would you care suggest a better ""bike oriented" guide book. I have the Brierley book(s) but he does not comment on the parts of the Camino that are not "bike friendly". I have the paper back version of Alison Raju's guide book for the Via de la Plata and in it she comments about which segments are not "bike friendly"and even offers alternative routes. Cheers and Buen Camino.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Hello - I'm a newbie here, ..........

My group - and doubtless hundreds of others, had an extremely different experience. The variance may be due to your considering it a "ride", vs. a journey.

Well, if you had been around this forum a while, you would have seen that in my 1300 posts, I frequently quote James Michener:

"(The Camino) is the finest journey in Spain, and one of the two or three best in the world"

Please don't put words in my mouth.

Regardless of how wonderful the sites and experiences are, there is no reason not to make the best of how you connect the journey together. Why ride a nasty dangerous road when a better option exists? My opinion is that the road options are not infrequently below the standard of any of the bike trips I've done in Europe, while the trail is nearly all excellent riding.

It would appear you have figured this out:

just recently started considering another go at it, riding a mountain bike and combining the best segments of the path and quiet roads.

If you are on a mountain bike, I wouldn't bother going on and off the trail any more than needed. Just find the first yellow arrow, and from there enjoy your pilgrimage.

So would you care suggest a better ""bike oriented" guide book. I have the Brierley book(s) but he does not comment on the parts of the Camino that are not "bike friendly". .

I wish I could be more constructive than just denigrating that guide, but no, I don't know of a good bike guide.

Myself, the only guides I like are the ones heavy on the history and culture. As I've said, we've stayed on the trail 95% of the time and have only walked the bikes a few km the entire way. When we detour, it is often because of mud or something a book can't predict. I guess everyone has a different threshold as to when they would prefer to detour the trail, but I think if you have a good trail- worthy bike you'll do just fine with a guidebook which is not bike-specific, figuring out when to detour as conditions dictate.

Please don't put words in my mouth.

I don't know why you say this, as outside of the one direct quote, I'm not aware of attributing any words or sentiments to you.

My opinion is that the road options are not infrequently below the standard of any of the bike trips I've done in Europe

I would agree that much of it is straight, flat, and visually uninteresting, but suspect the same could be said for the trail in many places - certainly when it parallels the road. However, some research and planning can often provide superior options to the "standard" road route. I can say that my group rarely felt we were on dangerous roads.

I also have done many tours in Europe, North America and the Caribbean, and suspect the major problem of road routing here is the desire to stay relatively close to the walking path, while avoiding busy roads. Unfortunately, there aren't many quiet, paved roads in much of the territory that the Camino passes through.

I also think that those choosing to bike on roads can just as easily have a valid and satisfying Camino experience as those on the trail. I have seen uniformed, supported teams, and solo cyclists wishing to ride the Camino in less than a week, and would argue that they're the ones who will have a mediocre experience of it, as to them it's just another road ride.

Just find the first yellow arrow, and from there enjoy your pilgrimage.

That isn't my style. I have read many times that one doesn't need a map, as the route is so well marked. That's only true if you're always willing to follow the herd, and have no interest in learning about the possible options and considering them.

On my first Camino, none of us had any particular interest in Pamplona, and we all enjoyed the beautiful descent through the woods on NA-1720 out of Burguete, which we learned of in the CTC addendum to the Higgenson book. On my next Camino, I will likely take the Luquin option out of Estella, first seen on a Brierley map with additional info from this forum. Although I thought Samos was lovely, I'm curious to experience the San Xil option. That's part of why I believe in looking at all the available material, and then selecting the route that I think will work best for me - always subject to change during the actual trip.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Hey Newfy - thats an interest review of a book. Yes I will agree some of route descriptions could be better and I probably wont be taking it with us. So would you care suggest a better ""bike oriented" guide book. I have the Brierley book(s) but he does not comment on the parts of the Camino that are not "bike friendly". I have the paper back version of Alison Raju's guide book for the Via de la Plata and in it she comments about which segments are not "bike friendly"and even offers alternative routes. Cheers and Buen Camino.

Mike - I was just reading another cycling thread and a member named helen1 had written this:

> If you are going by road I would recommend getting one of the Dutch/German (?) cycling guides, they are laminated spiral bound books and have wonderful maps for bikes and show the road route detours. I used the Michelin maps which were ok but confusing in places. I found the CSJ cycle notes too hard to follow. I wouldn’t bother with Le Puyto Santiago - A Cyclist's Guide (Cicerone Cycling) it’s ok but I think it’s dated.

Her entire post is intelligently written and quite helpful - subject had to do with riding the Camino in 7 days.

I haven't looked at my Dutch cycle guide in a while, but the Jakobs-Radweg maps are at 1:75,000 scale, and they show the walking route as well as their recommended road route.

If you're riding the path, there's also this:
http://www.amazon.com/dp/8479027746/?tag=casaivar02-20
I've ordered it on the basis of a comment on the Camino del Norte book by the same author: "We were very happy with the guide, listed albergues, good maps, elevation gain, breaks the ride up into manageable stages (55-75k) that we did follow. Even if you don't read Spanish well, it would still be helpful."

Charles

That isn't my style. I have read many times that one doesn't need a map, as the route is so well marked. That's only true if you're always willing to follow the herd, and have no interest in learning about the possible options and considering them.

Well that is one way to look at it, but having actually done the trail, several times, I can tell you that there are places where the route as marked is so good that even if you lived in the region for years you would be hard pressed to find a better, more interesting, and more elegant route in through a historic town. In many cases it looks for all the world as if you would be trespassing on private property, but the arrows assure you it is ok to take that route, through some gardens up a set of stairs, into and out of a cathedral's gates etc. Don't be so sure the herd is behaving as a bunch of mindless ungulates with no interest in what they are seeing.

Are you intentionally misinterpreting what I'm saying?

Much of the time I'll be quite happy to follow the route through town, but I may also want to make some side explorations. I don't question that one can have a wonderful Camino by simply following the arrows the entire way, but I'm saying that I want to investigate all of the options in advance, to be certain that I don't miss anything that I might have been interested in.

You seem to have adopted the attitude that I'm putting down other's approaches to their Caminos, while I'm quite convinced that each person can make the Camino whatever they're personally looking for.

Surely you realize that the "official" route has continuously changed, and although the marked passages through towns may well be pleasant, it's entirely possible that there may be other places on interest off the marked route, including places of interest to me that are not noted in any guide book.

Do you follow the entire official "soulless" senda out of Sahagun to Mansilla?

After having read how bad both the path and parallel road were into Leon from the latter, I researched other possibilities, and created a route that I enjoyed more than I suspect I would have the standard one.

Each to their own.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Do you follow the entire official "soulless" senda out of Sahagun to Mansilla?

To answer your question, from Sahagun there are two marked, official routes. I have a deep appreciation of the Meseta, and find neither of them "soulless". I am fascinated by Roman roads, and thus prefer the northern route, which follows the original Roman way, and I stick close to it because I don't want to miss any of the Roman vestiges. It is a rather rough surface, covered with largish cobbles shed from the mountains to the north and is best on a true mountain bike or on foot.

Last edited:
And I love, love, love they way from Sahagun, via Bercianos and El Burgo Ranero to Mansilla de las Mulas! See, pilgrims and their tastes are different ;-) Buen Camino! SY

Mike - I was just reading another cycling thread and a member named helen1 had written this:

> If you are going by road I would recommend getting one of the Dutch/German (?) cycling guides, they are laminated spiral bound books and have wonderful maps for bikes and show the road route detours. I used the Michelin maps which were ok but confusing in places. I found the CSJ cycle notes too hard to follow. I wouldn’t bother with Le Puyto Santiago - A Cyclist's Guide (Cicerone Cycling) it’s ok but I think it’s dated.

Her entire post is intelligently written and quite helpful - subject had to do with riding the Camino in 7 days.

I haven't looked at my Dutch cycle guide in a while, but the Jakobs-Radweg maps are at 1:75,000 scale, and they show the walking route as well as their recommended road route.

If you're riding the path, there's also this:
http://www.amazon.com/dp/8479027746/?tag=casaivar02-20
I've ordered it on the basis of a comment on the Camino del Norte book by the same author: "We were very happy with the guide, listed albergues, good maps, elevation gain, breaks the ride up into manageable stages (55-75k) that we did follow. Even if you don't read Spanish well, it would still be helpful."

Charles
Thanks Charles, I was just on the Jakobs-Radweg site and have read reviews about the quality of their maps. Unfortunately they are only in German but I expect I could decipher the route. I think the big advantage of these maps is their scale 1:75000 which is a significant improvement on the Michelin 1:400,000.
The other book is in Spanish and is the 4th ed (2009) so probably a bit dated. BTW if you could send me a link the that blog by Helen1 it would be much appreciated.
Cheers

Mike - It isn't a blog, but a thread under Biking the Camino in this forum. Here's the link:

https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/sjpp-to-santiago-7-days-cycling-thoughts.30190/

My only issue with the Jacobs-Radweg maps is that I sometimes wish they covered more ground on the flanks of the Camino, but it's a small tradeoff for the scale and general high quality. They don't have as many city maps as Brierley does, so I'd suggest bringing along your own - from whatever source. Unlike Brierley, they're actual maps, with contour lines and a known, fixed scale. One out-there possibility, if you're willing to spend the time - if you can find text-reading software, scan the pages and translate ???

I don't know if you're doing the trail or the road. If the latter, send me a PM as I can suggest some alternatives to the published material. - Charles

Hi Everyone.
I'm starting my Cycling in SJPP on the 11th June 2015 in SJPP, and intend to reach Santiago on the 20th June.
I'm on my own, so if you have any advice, or if you want to join me that would be great.
Thanks

Joao
Hi Joao, My youtube movie might give you some ideas regarding route and accommodation. It's an interesting route, Mountain biking on Walkers camino is tough and if the weather is wet it's a disaster, I witnessed many young people walking with bikes covered in mud. The link is
Buen Camino

OK! I'd go trail nearly the entire way. Nine days might be tough if you are not a strong rider of if there is mud to contend with.

I'll repost a bit from a summary I wrote for a friend. It is a bit old, so corrections on current conditions would be welcome!:

The route is not difficult mountain biking, more often it is on a dirt road rather than a hiking trail. There is not much pavement, maybe 10% in the first half and 30% for the rest of it. It is a wonderful ride and it would be a shame to miss it by riding the roads. There are people who ride road bikes on paved alternative routes, but unlike France, where the roads are wonderful, much of the route is crowded with high speed truck traffic. We followed the walker's route 95% of the way, and only walked our bikes about 2 km in the entire trip.

The Route

The first year we started in Pamplona but if one is in reasonable shape and has time the traditional start is in St. Jean Pie de Port. St. Jean is a nice town and the climb over the Pyrenees is beautiful. We rode the hikers route, most of which is paved, and, even rode the trail through the grassy alpine meadow at the top. A road biker from Germany went with us and made it without destroying his rims.

From the ancient monastery at Roncevalles the route alternates between smooth graveled paths and some of the roughest trail of the trip. I would recommend leaving the trail for the road for much of the trip to Pamplona. Be sure to enter Pamplona on the trail, through the old town gate.

From Pamplona to Burgos the trail is nearly all dirt, up and down many short hills and really nice riding. Be sure to take the left fork past Estella to see the Monastery and Bodega at Irache. The Bodega offers the Fuente del Vino, the wine fountain where you can fill your bike bottles with free wine.

Coming into Burgos can be the worst part of the trip. The signs vanish and you get dumped onto a busy road. The arrows fork just after a large autostrade overpass. The left fork worked very well last year while the right fork was a mess the year before.

The old parts of Leon are very nice, I think more interesting than Burgos.

There are two routes from Leon to Hospital de Orbiga. The southern route is much nicer than the northern route, which is right on a busy road. Just don’t miss the amazing bridge at Orbiga, where the knights jousted. There is a good hotel right on the west side of the bridge. There is another fork leaving Hospital de Orbiga with the northern route being good for mountain bikers and the southern route not too bad but again near the road. The northern route is not on some maps, but it the trails rejoin just before Astorga.

The climb to the Cruz de Fer is the highest point. Many pilgrims bring a small rock from home to leave at the base of the cross, producing a true geologic wonder. We carried Oregon pumice, a rock light enough to float! The trail can be nasty but the road is very nice.

The climb from Villa Franca del Bierzo to O Cebrero is mostly paved. There is a trail for the upper part but for a bike it is best to take the nearly abandoned road next to the trail. Pump the tires to road pressure this day! O Cebrero is interesting but a bit touristy and often in the fog. The descent to Triacastela will bring you to quieter cheaper places to stay. We have descended on the rough trail, but a short road detour makes a quick smooth ride down.

The trail forks at Triacastela. The northern fork is the best ride of the whole trip. The southern route through Samos is supposed to be nice but on the main road. I wouldn’t miss the ancient roads to the north.

From Melide to Santiago is 75 km with 1440 meters of climbing, but the trail is great so it can be done in a day. Many pilgrims walk just the last 200 km so there are many places to stay towards the end of the trail.
If there is a Botefumeiro ceremony at the cathedral in Santiago go early and get a good seat!

View attachment 16003

A slower part of the trail.

there are two routes out of SJPP, can you please clarify which route you cycled. I am planning on starting on the 8 June 2015. Last question is it reasonable to cycle 45miles a day?

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
there are two routes out of SJPP, can you please clarify which route you cycled. I am planning on starting on the 8 June 2015. Last question is it reasonable to cycle 45miles a day?
We took the southern route, right through the meadows and over the pass. We did not have to walk the bikes.

Is it reasonable to go 45 miles a day? If you have to ask, no, perhaps not.roncevaux.JPG

Just read through all this - some interesting banter between a couple of the guys ... to me nine days sounds like going too fast for too long. 89 kms a day? when do you stop to look at the view? - but that is most likely because I am a tortoise, not a hare (actually a fat old fart).

I would very much like to hear about packing for cycling - did any of you pack more than you would for walking because you had a bike (apart from tools and spares of course)? As in - did you take a stove or small tent (or solar wine cooler, silk pyjamas and Moroccan slippers) ??? and what spares and tools did you take?

I don't think the Brierley would be any good for a cyclist as it doesn't show the roads except in a vague way.
Michelin produce two brilliant map/guides, the 160 Camino de Santiago (St Jean to Santiago), and the 161 Chemins de Compostelle (Le Puy to St Jean). Scale is 1/150,000 and they are very light and funnily enough exactly the right shape and size for sliding into a handlebar bag map window! They each weigh 84 gms - under three ounces.

Their virtue is that the Camino is overlaid onto real maps so one can see the minor roads - each map page has a profile page as well, showing heights, distances and refugios with telephone numbers as well as a key code in six languages for religious buildings, shops, first aid and so on. It also has city maps and some pages at the back for sellos. We all have our favourites I should think - for me it is the Michelin 160 (and 161)
here are a couple of photos to show you what I mean ...

$_57 (1).JPG
$_57 (2).JPG
$_57 (3).JPG

I don't think the Brierley would be any good for a cyclist as it doesn't show the roads except in a vague way.

And that's being generous ;-)

=Michelin produce two brilliant map/guides.

I've always admired Michelin maps, first because they do an excellent job of visually organizing the information for maximum clarity. I also like that they show the graphic size and shape of settled areas, vs. a generic dot on the map.

=Their virtue is that the Camino is overlaid onto real maps so one can see the minor roads.

The Jakobs-Radweg maps are similar, but at "twice" the scale (1:75,000) provide even greater detail.
The blue line is the walker's route, which can be helpful if combining road and path.
They do have a bigger footprint, so you'll need a larger map display platform - although still smaller than the foot-square ones used by some touring Euro-cyclists ;-)

Here is the corresponding page for O'Cebriero.

Jakobs-Radweg O'Cebriero.jpg[/QUOTE][/QUOTE]

A selection of Camino Jewellery

Agreed; very limited value. Cannot recommend this book.

Just read through all this - some interesting banter between a couple of the guys ... to me nine days sounds like going too fast for too long. 89 kms a day? when do you stop to look at the view? - but that is most likely because I am a tortoise, not a hare (actually a fat old fart).

I would very much like to hear about packing for cycling - did any of you pack more than you would for walking because you had a bike (apart from tools and spares of course)? As in - did you take a stove or small tent (or solar wine cooler, silk pyjamas and Moroccan slippers) ??? and what spares and tools did you take?

Michelin produce two brilliant map/guides, the 160 Camino de Santiago (St Jean to Santiago), and the 161 Chemins de Compostelle (Le Puy to St Jean). Scale is 1/150,000 and they are very light and funnily enough exactly the right shape and size for sliding into a handlebar bag map window! They each weigh 84 gms - under three ounces.

Their virtue is that the Camino is overlaid onto real maps so one can see the minor roads - each map page has a profile page as well, showing heights, distances and refugios with telephone numbers as well as a key code in six languages for religious buildings, shops, first aid and so on. It also has city maps and some pages at the back for sellos. We all have our favourites I should think - for me it is the Michelin 160 (and 161)
here are a couple of photos to show you what I mean ...

View attachment 16520
View attachment 16521
View attachment 16522
I second this recommendation. The Michelin Camino map book is very useful. Clipped it to my handlebars. Referred to in regularly throughout the day.

And that's being generous ;-)

I've always admired Michelin maps, first because they do an excellent job of visually organizing the information for maximum clarity. I also like that they show the graphic size and shape of settled areas, vs. a generic dot on the map.

The Jakobs-Radweg maps are similar, but at "twice" the scale (1:75,000) provide even greater detail.
The blue line is the walker's route, which can be helpful if combining road and path.
They do have a bigger footprint, so you'll need a larger map display platform - although still smaller than the foot-square ones used by some touring Euro-cyclists ;-)

Here is the corresponding page for O'Cebriero.

View attachment 16530
[/QUOTE][/QUOTE]
Thanks for the response, already have the Michelin map book - does the Jakobs-Radweg add much more value? Did not really want to plan to the last detail but have booked my bus journey from Santiago to Santander on the 21 June 2015, leaving SJPDP of the 8 June 2015. Was hoping to make it to Santiago on 18 June 2015 and then do a quick run down to the coast and back for my bus, do you think I am pushing my luck???

[QUOTE="Henleyb, post: 274537, member: 43516"
already have the Michelin map book - does the Jakobs-Radweg add much more value? [/QUOTE]

That's your call - compare the map pages and decide. Based on your planned schedule, it looks like you're expressing it. That being the case, Michelin will likely show all the detail you'll need.

Their virtue is that the Camino is overlaid onto real maps so one can see the minor roads - each map page has a profile page as well, showing heights, distances and refugios with telephone numbers as well as a key code in six languages for religious buildings, shops, first aid and so on. It also has city maps and some pages at the back for sellos. We all have our favourites I should think - for me it is the Michelin 160 (and 161). quote]

Hola David are these maps available in Pamplona (english or spanish)?? As for packing more or less - I am intending to carry less in terms of clothing but might have to carry a few "bike bits"(for repairs etc). Cheers

Hello - I'm a newbie here, and discovered this forum through a search for info on the Luquin option out of Estella. I'm aware that this can be picked up in Villatuerta, but rather liked Estella - and Irache. After reading that thread, I went to the forum home and found a cycling thread. A few responses to quotes in this thread:

I'd say that nine days is pushing it riding on the roads. Doing it so quickly suggests that you're not planning to do much exploring of the communities, architecture and history that make the Camino what it is.

My group - and doubtless hundreds of others, had an extremely different experience. The variance may be due to your considering it a "ride", vs. a journey. We did a lot of research before our trip, planned good routes, and made a point of including rest/exploration days in Burgos and Leon along with daily non-cycling activities.

> That is one awful guidebook. It ought to be retitled: "how one guy on a road bike got to Santiago"

I agree with your suggested title. We did include it in our research, but his days were so insanely short that we doubled them up, and stayed in alternate locations sometimes.

My experience is that it's more of a pamphlet then a book, but it is a valuable supplement to the Higgenson book, and their alternate routes are better than his - but then, they had his pioneering work to build on.

That's only true if you didn't research the options and stayed on N-120 the whole way.
I arranged to get a copy of the Dutch guide for the Camino Frances (they have two others, from the Netherlands to Paris, and from there to the Pyrenees), which provided a great entry from 14 Km east of the city.

However, we decided to try our own alternate route up to that point, which provided perhaps the best day of riding of the entire trip. We crossed N-120 in Belorado, and then climbed to Pradoluengo, then higher up into the fog, and descended to Arlanzon. As a result, we had less than 4 Km on N-120 the entire day.

The Jakobs-Radweg book by BikeLine/Esterbauer (978-3-85000-166-3) also uses the Dutch route around the Montes de Oca. Although the text is in German, the maps are 1:75,000 !!!, and also show the walking route (compare to Michelin at 1:400,000). It's "internally" (almost indestructible) spiral-bound, but at 12 x 23 cm will require a fairly large map compartment on your handlebar bag, or separate map display gear. The Dutch (and apparently Germans) also have a far superior final stage, with a far less busy entry into Santiago.

I also got a copy of the route used by the Cycling Through the Centuries tour operator, and they usually rode what I considered the best options - including a much better entry to Leon than the walking path, or the roads along it. As it turned out, they ran a trip just a week before ours, and we were able to often use their chalk marks, including right up to our hostal in Leon, as I knew it was the same one that they used.

When I was initially researching our Camino some 11 years ago, I discovered that all the forums were walker-oriented, so started the Santiago_Biciclete Yahoo Group. It's very quiet, but still has lots of members, and never was a particularly chatty forum. However, when people ask questions, they usually get lots of experienced answers.

I had lost interest in the Camino, but have just recently started considering another go at it, riding a mountain bike and combining the best segments of the path and quiet roads. I would do even more research on the history and architecture, and ride around all the villages (and towns) on the walking route. I have been using both satellite and street-view to look at the options, and am up to Los Arcos so far.

I'm actually doing my route marking on Ride With GPS, which uses the Google base maps (not very good for Spain) and satellite view, but provides a cyclist-friendly interface with additional map bases available. If you're using roads, a single click can advance your route several miles at a time. My experience so far is that it recognizes some of the Camino as "roads", but other times I need to use the "Draw a Line" option - after looking at a very zoomed-in landscape in satellite view.

For anyone not familiar with this site/tool, here is my first attempt at Pamplona to Puenta la Reina:

Has anyone here visited the ruins in Guendulain - they look fascinating from above? I'm currently thinking of skirting Alto der Perdon to the east, passing through Esparza on what look to be quiet roads. This would also allow me to take the route through Biarrun and Ucar that I had looked for out of Campanas in vain on my first Camino. In satellite view I can now see why I couldn't find it - the farm road I'd seen on an old Spanish provincial map is now interrupted by some sort of commercial facility, which we had ridden to and turned around at. This route would also bring me past the Templar chapel at Eunate, which is well worth seeing again.

Charles
Tried to get access the the Yahoo groups you talk about above, signed up etc, but, as of yet still cant seem to read any of the files or posts?

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.

Charles
Think I replied to the wrong person previously. So I will try again.

Tried to access Santiago_Biciclete Yahoo Group, signed up etc but still cannot see the files and posts??? Any idea why. Thanks

Thanks Charles, I was just on the Jakobs-Radweg site and have read reviews about the quality of their maps. Unfortunately they are only in German but I expect I could decipher the route. I think the big advantage of these maps is their scale 1:75000 which is a significant improvement on the Michelin 1:400,000.
The other book is in Spanish and is the 4th ed (2009) so probably a bit dated. BTW if you could send me a link the that blog by Helen1 it would be much appreciated.
Cheers
Look like you are cycling the Frances in Sept? And I see you are coming from Australia, are you renting a biking, bringing one or buying one?

€83,-
@Saint Mike - Hola! (very much like G'Day Cobber) I am bringing a Michelin 160 for you - see you in Pamplona!!! Buen Camino!!!
Hola David - that is very kind. Not long now til Jenny and I fly out. It's almost looking like spring here at home (about 120 km south of Sydney). Off for another 25km training ride. Jenny has a group of us coming to lunch tomorrow. Cheers.

Look like you are cycling the Frances in Sept? And I see you are coming from Australia, are you renting a biking, bringing one or buying one?
Yes that's the plan - and bringing my own bike (that way I know what I am riding); have made arrangements with a cycle tienda/shop to help with the reassembly. Cheers for now.

How long a time are you planning for the ride?
Somewhere between 20 and 25 days (including rest days in Burgos and Leon) and 3 nights in Santiago before ending at Finnisterre (and then the bus back to SDC). For me this Camino is to be enjoyed/experienced - its not a race!

Somewhere between 20 and 25 days (including rest days in Burgos and Leon) and 3 nights in Santiago before ending at Finnisterre (and then the bus back to SDC). For me this Camino is to be enjoyed/experienced - its not a race!
I was planning to walk it but now have an injury (back) so cannot walk it but can ride a bike. And because I was going to walk it have 38 days to kill. So if I bike it mine is definitely not going to be a race! So sounds like you are allowing 28 days with your 3 days in Santiago plus the time to go to Finnisterre? Any suggestions on what to do with the rest of my time? Since I know it wont take me 38 days to bike it.

Forgot to ask are you planning to stick mainly to the walkers route?

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Forgot to ask are you planning to stick mainly to the walkers route?
I have a hybrid-mountain bike so will try to follow the walkers trail - except where the Camino and the road run together (like on parts of the Meseta!). Newfydog(?) has a great post that details sections of the Camino that cyclists should avoid. If I can find I will post a link. I think I have about 5 days to go play the tourist - btw the 25 days would include the rest days and Finnisterre (I think). I am not really planning too far ahead until I get on the bike out of Pamplona. Cheers

I have a hybrid-mountain bike so will try to follow the walkers trail - except where the Camino and the road run together (like on parts of the Meseta!). Newfydog(?) has a great post that details sections of the Camino that cyclists should avoid. If I can find I will post a link. I think I have about 5 days to go play the tourist - btw the 25 days would include the rest days and Finnisterre (I think). I am not really planning too far ahead until I get on the bike out of Pamplona. Cheers
Thanks for the reply

Most read last week in this forum

I Willl start biking from SJPD on 9.may with Ebike. I have a list of bike friendly albergs is there somebody who have experience with charging batery in such alberg. Do i need afdition 220v...
Plan to cycle between Burgos and Leon over three or four days. Are there any interesting detours between these two cities that would take up a 4th day?

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back