• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Cycling from Bilbao to Santiago in September

Raj Kumar

Time of past OR future Camino
Spring 2017
I am cycling from Bilbao to Santiago, in September. Dates are fixed as I have already booked my flights. I am a fairly experienced touring cyclist but do not do camping. I cycle at a slow to moderate pace about 60-80 km a day as I want to enjoy the scenery and chat with people and taste the local food etc. It will be really nice to have company for all or part of the trip.

In the past, I have posted here looking for suggestions etc but was never able to make it. This time, I have booked flights, mapped the routes and just in the process of arranging accommodation. I like to prebook my accommodation when touring.

Look forward to hearing from you.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I am walking the Norte from Laredo for the first time in May and June this year. I am using the Wise Pilgrim Guide and app for my planning. I think you will find it has more than enough information about alternative routes, possible roads to follow vs. difficult paths and plenty of lodging information.

I am cycling from Bilbao to Santiago, in September. Dates are fixed as I have already booked my flights. I am a fairly experienced touring cyclist but do not do camping. I cycle at a slow to moderate pace about 60-80 km a day as I want to enjoy the scenery and chat with people and taste the local food etc. It will be really nice to have company for all or part of the trip.

In the past, I have posted here looking for suggestions etc but was never able to make it. This time, I have booked flights, mapped the routes and just in the process of arranging accommodation. I like to prebook my accommodation when touring.

Look forward to hearing from you.
We are not sure whether to pre book our camino accommodation has we are not sure what distance we will cycle each day so hoping we can get a bed on each day we arrive at our daily stop or pre book a day in advance. We set off from santander in August. Looking forward to long hot sunny days and lots of cycling.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
We rode the Camino de Santiago in 2013 (see https://cyclingsofties.blog/ for our very own experience), and never booked once. Although we would have been turned away if we had wanted to book in somewhere before, say 3.00, because we were on the bikes and anybody walking is given precedence, we were never told we'd have to find somewhere else.

This year we are dearly hoping we can cycle the Norte from Santander to Santiago in September - it's all in the lap of the Gods, Brexit, how the pound reacts, how fit we still are, and so many other things. If it's meant to be, then we'll manage it, I'm sure.

Go, enjoy yourself, and don't worry too much about accommodation. But if you really are worried, then I'd suggest getting an app that pin-points albergues along the route that you can call when you have an idea just how much further you can get on that particular day.

Ok, just realised that my post above is probably academic anyway as yours was dated 2018. So, did you go? And did you enjoy it? More importantly, did you find the need to book as you went along?

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.

Most read last week in this forum

Ivan. I believe I can rent two bikes through you between Burgos and Leon. Can you let me know if this is possible? I plan to arrive in Burgos on 11 May and start cycling the next day. Thanks

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back