• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Cycling from Lintzoain to Zubiri

ChrisG1

Time of past OR future Camino
April 2024
Hi All
I wonder if there are any bicigrinos out there who have cycled the section from Lintzoain to Zubiri? How rideable is it? Alternatively, how unrideable is it? We are two competent mountain bikers but will be riding touring bikes together with all our gear. Happy to go slowly if it is steep and no doubt we will have to dodge those rascally perigrinos (honestly though, we are very considerate and will even push our bikes if the trail is busy). Is there an alternative route we can take if not suitable for bikes?
Thanks

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I am no longer a biker or even a long distance walker but in easier times have often walked that caminio which can be steep/narrow. Therefore I suggest you consider biking the road route N-135 from Lintzoain to ERRO to AGORRETA to Zubiri.
Good luck and Buen camino!

Last edited:
Hi All
I wonder if there are any bicigrinos out there who have cycled the section from Lintzoain to Zubiri? How rideable is it? Alternatively, how unrideable is it? We are two competent mountain bikers but will be riding touring bikes together with all our gear. Happy to go slowly if it is steep and no doubt we will have to dodge those rascally perigrinos (honestly though, we are very considerate and will even push our bikes if the trail is busy). Is there an alternative route we can take if not suitable for bikes?
Thanks
I'd say not suitable for bikes - going down into Zubiri with large, slippery, sharp rocks, on a steep and narrow path, not easy for walkers, let alone bikes. The road is the easy alternative. The only disadvantage is that it is a bit longer.

According to the Motorcycle Diaries the N135 Erro to Zubiri road is:
"Absolutely fantastic piece of road, good pavement, good safety, flowing, fast (if you want to) and you'll certainly put your footpegs to the ground on the sami-fast, constant radius, flowy curves. A must do, and wonderful in both directions."

Last edited:
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Totally agree with both statements above. I had one helluva-time going UP that hill and then descending
At the time (my overall Day 3 on Camino) that was the most horrible trail I walked... I would not bike it!

Attachments

• 20220523-013738.jpg
    20220523-013738.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 9
  • 20220523-033617.jpg
    20220523-033617.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 9
I have te same doubt @ChrisG1 . In two weeks I will do the camino from SJPP in a bike and as far as I know the problem in that section is the downhill after the alto del Erro into Zubiri. I will choose the choose the route when i will be there, depending on the climate conditions. If it´s dry I don´t see any problem taking the original path. One caution to be taken is controling the bike with panniers. You`ll need some skils.

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I have te same doubt @ChrisG1 . In two weeks I will do the camino from SJPP in a bike and as far as I know the problem in that section is the downhill after the alto del Erro into Zubiri. I will choose the choose the route when i will be there, depending on the climate conditions. If it´s dry I don´t see any problem taking the original path. One caution to be taken is controling the bike with panniers. You`ll need some skils.
Would love to here how you get on

Most read last week in this forum

When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...
A local Navarra website has posted a set of photos showing today's snowfall in the area around Roncesvalles. About 15cm of snow fell this morning surprising pilgrims on the way...
Hi! I’m a first time pilgrim. Is it possible to take a taxi from Astorga to Foncebadon? Thanks, Felicia
I have been planning to return and rejoin the path from Leon next week. ( Main route) I am wondering whether it might be better to wait until later in April to rejoin the path, my hope is to...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back