• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Cycling from Montserrat

Grant

Time of past OR future Camino
St Jean Pied de Port - Santiago (1997)
Montserrat - Santiago (2014)
My flight to Barcelona is booked! I'll start biking my Camino from Montserrat 2 May 2014. Does anyone have any opinions on the choice between the southern route via Zaragoza or the northern route via Huesca?

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Hi Grant:

Jane, my long suffering wife, and I rode from Barcelona, via Montserrat, to Logroño and then on to Leon. Our destination was Santiago, but Jane had a bad crash in Leon and we ended up walking around Europe for the next five months. She could walk okay, but her badly injured knee couldn't manage the bicycle.

Jane kept a very great blog on our adventures, you can see it at: http://womanonherway.com/2013/05/page/2/

Montserrat was fantastic, really worth seeing. We did the Zaragoza route and it wasn't that much fun. It was mostly busy highways, with heavy truck traffic and a constant headwind, called Cierzo. You can see her discussion of that at: http://womanonherway.com/2013/05/17/may-16-and-17-zaragoza/

We fought the wind the entire route, and it was severe at times. At one point we were riding downhill, in first gear, peddling, just to keep moving. We were doing the ride in May, perhaps it subsides during other times?

I have a suspicion that the Huesca route might be more inviting. The route we took involved lots of limited access highways and fast moving traffic. We were riding touring machines, with saddle bags, front and rear. I concluded that, if I were to do it again, I would use a mountain bike. There is so much cobblestone and plenty of dirt roads; the mountain bike is more suitable for those situations. I would do the ride again, but would be tempted to try the Huesca route.

Jane is currently working on a book about our adventures.

Keep us posted on what you decide. If you keep a blog, please point us to it.

Dennis and Jane
http://womanonherway.com/

Thanks for the info, Dennis. I think I'll be heading for the hills and hopefully quieter roads to join up with the Aragones and then Frances. I'll have four weeks to get to Santiago, so I should be able to enjoy a leisurely pace, but I do hope that I get to freewheel down the hills and not fight the wind as much as you had to!

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I have walked most of the Huesca route twice and think that it would excellent for a cyclist. The only stretches which would be problematic is into Loarre, where I would stick to the road, and from Sarsamarcuello up to the pass. I did not walk from Estacion de Santa Maria de la Pena to Ena, so have no idea how that route works or if it's possible for a bike. You might have to bike to Jaca first. Do not skip San Juan de la Pena which is in itself worth the entire ride. As well, cycling makes it possible to take the carretera on the north side of the Embalse de Yesa and visit the lakeside hot spring at Km 336-- this stretch is too long by foot, and water is only available at one place along the way.

I'll be on the road, not the walkers' path, as I ride a recumbent trike. I look forward to visiting San Juan de la Pena, it sounds like a wonderful place. Is there enough inexpensive pilgrim accommodation on that route or should I consider taking a tent?

Grant-- just saw this. There is plenty of pilgrim (donativo or under 10 euro) accommodation, as well as inexpensive pension rooms (20-40 euro) along the way. There is another thread with details.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I'm planning to cycle this route in September, I'd love to hear how you got on on the Huesca route.

I was also planning to cycle from Barcelona to Montserrat, ideally from the airport if possible, and I was wondering if you had any suggestions.

Thanks

Not sure about cycling as Laurie and I walked via Huesca. The first 4 stages out of Monserrat are pretty boring but it improves as you move north and just lovely past Huesca. The climb up to Peña was fine leaving Botaya. The downhill was tough but doable. I certainly wouldn't want to do the uphill from Santa Cruz de los Serós.
After Santa Cilia we caught a ride up to Somport and today completed the Aragonés.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.

Most read last week in this forum

Ivan. I believe I can rent two bikes through you between Burgos and Leon. Can you let me know if this is possible? I plan to arrive in Burgos on 11 May and start cycling the next day. Thanks
Plan to cycle between Burgos and Leon over three or four days. Are there any interesting detours between these two cities that would take up a 4th day?

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back