• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Cycling From Ponferrada to Santiago

tomlee

Time of past OR future Camino
new comer..
- Wish to start from Camino dE Norte @ 2015 July
Hi all,

This is my first time prepare for the trip since last year....
so far i had done some homework on this trip, i would like to share my info before asking question..

Day 0 - Madrid (4pm) ---driving--- Ponferrada (10pm)
Day 1 - Ponferrada to O Cebreiro (47.4km)
Day 2 - Cebreiro to Portomarin (60.4km)
Day 3 - Portomarin to Arzua (52.7km)
Day 4 - Arzua to Santiago (37.4km)

TOTAL : GOOGLE MAP measure by WALK 198km/ measure by Car Road 234km

I will reach Ponferrada at about 10am, and i had read some of the forum reply said that i not able to get Pilgrim Passport..and i have to get it on next day morning.

- so, what time is the albergue or the cathedral open to issue the Pilgrim Passport next day morning?

- May i know where can i find info of the albergue or the cathedral along the way (O Cebreiro, Portomarin, Arzua,Santiago) to get the stamp?

- For this Cycling trip, Car Road or Rural road is allow? or prefer or authorize?

- For this Cycling trip, i had measure the distant using Google map by Walk, and it is about 198km. BUT using Google map by Car Road (if allow, may be using car road to cycle) is about 234km. So, where can find the actual measurement info and to qualify 200km by bike?

and thanks very much ....

Tom

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Tom,
In Ponferrada the albergue San Nicolas de Flue, calle de la Loma, opens mid afternoon and stays open until 22:30. You can get your Credencial then. They are also open from 06:30 to 08:00 in the morning.

Buen camino!

MM

Last edited:
Tom,

Regarding the roads. Take N-VI road all the way up to Pedrafita do Cebreiro. This is a road with just a few cars (most of the cars are in the A6 Autovia which you will see from the N-VI). Don't take the pedestrian road to go up otherwise you will be pushing your bike all the way. Once in Pedrafita, you will take the Lu-633 to O'cebreiro and then Alto del Poio. From that point, I continued on the same road to go down to Tricastela.

In Tricastela you can continue the normal road to Sarria or you can take the pedestrian path. I was advised that the Pedestrian part had 4Kms in very bad condition and I would be pushing my bike all the way up. Then I decided to take the normal road and pass by Samos and finally end in Sarria.

From Sarria, you can always take the pedestrian way. Not problem at all.

Hope it helps.

Luis

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Tom,
In Ponferrada the albergue San Nicolas de Flue, calle de la Loma, opens mid afternoon and stays open until 22:30. You can get your Credencial then. They are also open from 06:30 to 08:00 in the morning.

Buen camino!

MM
thanks a lot for the info, and i will reach about 10pm. anyway, i plan to get a Pilgrim Passport online purchase here, and after that follow your suggestion to go there morning 6:30am to get stamp and start my trip..Buen Camino..!!

Wherever you stay your first night in Ponferrada can stamp you Pilgrim Passport. You do not need to specifically go to the albergue for a stamp unless you wish their stamp.

As Luis suggests above do follow the old N VI road on your bike but just west of Ruitelan you can switch to CV 125/1 and then C V125/15 which are paved back roads direct to O Cebreiro. In fact I walk up these roads instead of the camino in winter.

Last edited:
Tom,

Regarding the roads. Take N-VI road all the way up to Pedrafita do Cebreiro. This is a road with just a few cars (most of the cars are in the A6 Autovia which you will see from the N-VI). Don't take the pedestrian road to go up otherwise you will be pushing your bike all the way. Once in Pedrafita, you will take the Lu-633 to O'cebreiro and then Alto del Poio. From that point, I continued on the same road to go down to Tricastela.

In Tricastela you can continue the normal road to Sarria or you can take the pedestrian path. I was advised that the Pedestrian part had 4Kms in very bad condition and I would be pushing my bike all the way up. Then I decided to take the normal road and pass by Samos and finally end in Sarria.

From Sarria, you can always take the pedestrian way. Not problem at all.

Hope it helps.

Luis

Hi Luis,

thanks for info. I had follow your suggestion and draft the route. it is total 50.20km, and the place of turning from N-VI go into LU633 is somewhere GOMEZ Y CEREIJO near the roundabout
( https://www.google.com/maps/@42.726...ata=!3m4!1e1!3m2!1stXps-qB8J_2rCf1xmtAf_g!2e0 )

by the way, do you suggest for the Hotel/Inn stay O Cebreiro?

again, thanks a lot for the info, it really help me to draft the GPX road map,,

Attachments

• NVI-LU633.jpg
    NVI-LU633.jpg
    69.4 KB · Views: 20
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Wherever you stay your first night in Ponferrada can stamp you Pilgrim Passport. You do not need to specifically go to the albergue for a dtamp unless you wish their stamp.

oh, cool, so, means i can get more stamp for collection.. :) :) :) thanks..

As Luis suggests above do follow the old N VI road on your bike but just west of Ruitelan you can switch to CV 125/1 and then C V125/15 which are paved back roads direct to O Cebreiro. In fact I walk up these roads instead of the camino in winter.

Ok, i will check the info of these two road..whichever is more easier route for my wife..
The attached map, i believe is the one you mentioned from N VI into CV125/1.. NVI-CV125-1-15.jpg

CV125/1 and CV125/15 is about 8 km plus.. save me another 7 km if take NV-I and LU633.

Thanks.. :)

Last edited:
Ok, i will check the info of these two road..whichever is more easier route for my wife..

Altimetry of the route through La Laguna de Castilla (i.e.: following the route showed in the map you uploaded on your previous post):

http://www.altimetrias.net/aspbk/verPerfilusu.asp?id=817

The altimetry starts in La Portela de Valcarce and, for you, ends roughly at the end of the 12% showed after La Laguna de Castilla. That's because the altimetry shows the data if you turn right (to another road) at that point while you have to continue on the same road to reach O Cebreiro.

Altimetry of the route from Vega de Valcarce to O Cebreiro through Pedrafita do Cebreiro (aka Piedrafita del Cebrero). It includes too the altimetry from O Cebreiro to Alto do Poio (all in a single altimetry):

http://www.altimetrias.net/aspbk/verPuerto.asp?id=89

P.S.: www.altimetrias.net can be also useful to find altimetries of other Spanish climbs.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-

Most read last week in this forum

I have walked several caminos since 2013 and am hoping to experience the Primitivo in September. Recently I have developed a nasty intermittent pain in the ball of my feet, especially the left...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.