• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Cycling in April 2017

Raj Kumar

Time of past OR future Camino
Spring 2017
Hello everyone
These forum posts are very helpful and I have learned a lot by reading them. I have decided to cycle the French way starting from Pamplona. I think I should be able to manage it in two weeks. I have some specific questions and would be grateful for your help.

Time- Many advice to avoid the summer heat for cycling and I would like to do the same. But at the same time, some says that I may still find some snow in the April. So y question is is it OK to cycle in April or should I wait till May?

Is there any specific time to avoid in April 2017 due to Easter holidays?

I am from London and planning to Fly to Zaragoza and then take the train to Pamplona. I take my bike wherever I go. I will be taking my bike packed in a bag. Is it possible to take the bike in a bag in the train?

And finally, would love to have some company if you are planning a trip in 2017. I have not booked my flights and leave yet.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
It will depend upon which train and how small / compact your bike is. I did manage to get my bike on a Renfe Media Distance train, but only because of a friendly conductor. Maybe check with Renfe - how good is your Spanish? If you end up on one of the local commuter trains you won't have a problem but these trains are a lot slower. Only 120 km/ph instead of the 180-200 on the Media Distance or 235 on the AVE. good luck.

Hello everyone
These forum posts are very helpful and I have learned a lot by reading them. I have decided to cycle the French way starting from Pamplona. I think I should be able to manage it in two weeks. I have some specific questions and would be grateful for your help.

Time- Many advice to avoid the summer heat for cycling and I would like to do the same. But at the same time, some says that I may still find some snow in the April. So y question is is it OK to cycle in April or should I wait till May?

Is there any specific time to avoid in April 2017 due to Easter holidays?

I am from London and planning to Fly to Zaragoza and then take the train to Pamplona. I take my bike wherever I go. I will be taking my bike packed in a bag. Is it possible to take the bike in a bag in the train?

And finally, would love to have some company if you are planning a trip in 2017. I have not booked my flights and leave yet.
If you bleed over into May, please give us an "on your left" when you pass, as a few of us will be walking in May. Buen Camino!

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Hello
It is possible to take your bike, packed in a bag, for both the train and/or bus.

RENFE, the train service, has specific limits on size for your bike and they like to enforce that. I found the bus service (alsa) to be easier to deal with.

departing from Pamplona, you should be able to complete the camino in about 2 weeks.

I offer a few caveats
You should be in reasonably good shape i.e. able to pedal for a sustained number of daily miles & able to handle the climbs

Unlike walkers, you need to wait until just before sunrise before you depart for the day. Your daily mileage requirement doesn't leave you a great deal of time for sightseeing and side trips.

two weeks of camino time would allow you at least one day should you need to hold up on your travel due to weather or other type of delay

There is a little bike shop in old Santiago (very near the Cathedral & big square) that will prepare your bike for shipment back home (padding & dismantling etc) and within size requirements (I think they will put your bike in a box) and they only charge 25 euros. Something to consider

We cycled the Camino Frances at the end of April into May four years ago. We had every weather condition possible, except snow although we did have sleet. From sitting on a bench in the sun before Los Arcos to verging on hypothermia at O Cebreiro we had it all!

Make sure you carry clothing for all eventualities whether you ride in April or May.

Enjoy!!!

Most read last week in this forum

Ivan. I believe I can rent two bikes through you between Burgos and Leon. Can you let me know if this is possible? I plan to arrive in Burgos on 11 May and start cycling the next day. Thanks
Plan to cycle between Burgos and Leon over three or four days. Are there any interesting detours between these two cities that would take up a 4th day?

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back