• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Cycling Le Puy Route

MywaySA

Hi all, a friend and I have on short notice decided to cycle this route. From what I can find out from reading blogs and websites it seems the cyclist stick to the roads and does not cycle the actual walking paths. Is it possible to cycle the walking paths with a mountain bike at all?

My friend did the Camino Frances on foot some years ago and wants to do a different part of the route and I am new to this. We both love cycling and also have a time limit.

That said, we would prefer to be on the "real route" instead of cycling on tar roads close by.

Can anybody help with this please?

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Myway, I did encounter cyclist pilgrims on the Le Puy route, but rarely on the actual trail. The Miam Miam Dodo guide more or less calls it a bad idea to attempt the walking trail with any bike, but does give a reference to this site: http://perso.orange.fr/vtt.compostelle

You'll note in the left hand column of that site's main page that there are suggested routes from Vezelay and Cahors which end in Ostabat and Roncevaux, respectively. If you are interested but have trouble with the French, let me know and I'll check them out.
http://vtt.compostelle.pagesperso-orange.fr/accueil.htm

Best

Rob

Hi Rob,

thanks for the info but the French website "had me at hello". Anyway, we have decided to stick to country roads and bicycle lanes as per blogs and journals of other cyclists experience. Offroad is going to be more tricky with panniers etc and having to constantly ask walkers to move out of the way is just not going to be pleasant for both parties.

Thanks again for your help.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I will recommend the book "The Way of St James, A cyclists' guide" by John Higginson. I got it from amazon.co.uk. It describes the cycle path apart from the waking path.
I have used the book planning my camino from Le Puy by bike, starting in one month :)

Hi

A friend and I cycled Le Puy to SJPP in June 2010. Here is a little write up:

http://www.crazyguyonabike.com/doc/?o=1 ... =7296&v=Fz

We stayed on the roads and camped along the way. It was an excellent trip that I will never forget.

We used the John Higginson book as a guide. It was useful without being overly detailed.

Randy
Vancouver, Canada

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Hi guys, thanks for the info. We printed a detailed diary off the internet and ordered the John Higginson book.

Randy, I did read your blog and you have stunning pictures - really enjoyed it. Will probably use the same type of roads but might try to do a bit of the dirt tracks as well. Decided to check the route every evening where we sleep as the locals will have good knowledge.

Other question: As we are flying into Paris from South Africa we need sturdy bike bags. Any suggestions as to where we can store them in and around Paris? We want to rent a car, fit in the bikes and drive to Le Puy and do the same on the return leg from St. Jean. Trying to find a hotel for first and last evening close to Paris that will be willing to store our bike bags for us but I don't seem to get replies....

Any suggestions would be most welcome!

Regards,
MywaySA

Just completed thisroute bought twobikes in Decathlon Le Puy and followed John Higginsbotttom route the book may need updating as someroadworks have beencompleted also there is not enough info on accomadation you need to book the next night in advance but this is not a problem, I have no french and survived no problem stayed with some really nicepeople throughout

There were mountain bikers attempting quite a few of the trails when I was walking it - June 4 to July 8 but as a some time cyclist myself I can tell you they weren't having much fun.

A lot of time was spent pushing/carrying the bikes up places they weren't designed for - having said that some of the trails would have been excellent - can't tell you which as it is now all a blur.

Stewart
Auckland NZ

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I missed this thread when it first came around. We biked the trail on mountain bikes, no problem at all. We detoured here and there, but biked 90% of it, and never did much pushing. We saw some tracks but no other bikers.

It is harder than the Frances, but easier than many trails, and I would say it was my favorite.

I wrote it up a bit here:

biking-the-camino/topic16273.html

Most read last week in this forum

We commenced walking the Via Podiensis on Saturday 13th April 2024. We are from Australia and find it easier to bring our stuff for the Camino in a suitcase, as we have extra clothes for before...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back