• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Cycling Le Puy to St Jean Pied du Pont

MywaySA

Hi, new to all this. My friend and I want to cycle from Le Puy using the actual hiking paths rather than tar roads. We will be bringing our own mountain bikes and have done multistage mountain biking before all over South Africa.

From some websites I gather more people use tar roads near the actual camino walking route. Can we cycle on the actual walking route (at least some of the sections?)

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
MywaySA said:
Hi, new to all this. My friend and I want to cycle from Le Puy using the actual hiking paths rather than tar roads. We will be bringing our own mountain bikes and have done multistage mountain biking before all over South Africa.

From some websites I gather more people use tar roads near the actual camino walking route. Can we cycle on the actual walking route (at least some of the sections?)

Yes of course you can :arrow: , (& donkeys too)
please have a bell & use it to wake us walking pilgrims up from our 'meditating dreaming' states,
Thanks
David

(nearly got 'biked' a few times)(run-over) :mrgreen:
Buen Camino

Hi to all, planning to walk or ride next June 2015 from Le Puy to St Jean Pied de Port.
Just a few questions re bike
1. How long does it take to ride?
2. Hire of bike and do I need helmet?
3. Where do I leave the bike at St Jean
Finally with walking how long
Peter C
Australia

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
http://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/cycling-various-caminos-good-better-and-best.16273/

lepuy1-jpg.5120
lepuy3-jpg.5121
lepuy4-jpg.5122
Le Puy Route Voie Podensis GR 65

Beginners-- B-
Experienced-- A
Hard core mountain biker-- B

736 KM Took us 14 days

The route from LePuy en Velay to the start of the Camino Frances in Saint Jean Pied de Port is part of the original route route travelled by Bishop Godescalc in 951. This is a beautiful route, growing in popularity. When we rode it we left the same day as a group of Swiss road cyclists who were riding the paved roads near the trail. It took us three days to get to their first stop, and we simply could not imagine missing that beautiful trail and great farms and hamlets for the busy road they took.

Where many of the ancient towns in Spain are just a few ruins, this route has one perfect fairy-tale town after another.

While the towns have the feel of the ancient pilgrimage stops they were, the trail can be a bit contrived. There was a piece out of Moissac where the main trail leaves a perfectly good river bottom for a hiking trail up to a radio tower. We felt certain no ancient pilgrim followed that path and stayed on the river bottom variante , following the tow path on the river. Other places it wanders excessively, just stringing together anything that could be used. Overall, however, it is a wonderful route, and while it is a bit harder than the Frances, it is very bikable. We took many small detours, but were on the marked trail for more than 90% of it. If you are into mountain biking, you’ll enjoy the route. Someone with a road orientation will probably detour a fair bit.

In September we saw some tracks, but met no other cyclists. We saw hikers daily, but never very many. Lodging was easy to find, but the cheaper places are neither as cheap or plentiful as in Spain.

In all, this route is our favorite.

Most read last week in this forum

Ivan. I believe I can rent two bikes through you between Burgos and Leon. Can you let me know if this is possible? I plan to arrive in Burgos on 11 May and start cycling the next day. Thanks
Plan to cycle between Burgos and Leon over three or four days. Are there any interesting detours between these two cities that would take up a 4th day?

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back