• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Cycling Leon to Santiago - October or April?

popslave76

Hi

I hope you won't mind a few questions, but I have a big decision to make and I think I need to make it in the next few days.

Basically, I had been planning to ride the Camino de Santiago this year in September, but some personal things came up which meant i haven't been able to train, or prepare, so I am trying to decide whether to cycle Leon to Santiago in October of this year or wait until April of next year... but to make up my mind i have a few questions...

1. is this even a good route for cycling? i've done some research and people seem to think it is, but is there something more interesting of a similar distance on the official camino routes?

2. if i train rigorously i can get to a decent standard of fitness and think i can do this in about 5 days at approx 70kms a day, does that seem right or should i be allowing more time?

3. does anyone have any experience of doing the camino in april and october? i am trying to work out which is going to be more pleasant weather wise...

4. in terms of accomodation, i am planning to do it as a pilgrim, is counting on 20 euros a night as a donation reasonable?

Sorry, i have a feeling that these are stupid questions, so any help to any of them would be very gratefully received

James

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I start every reply on biking the same:

Are you planning on riding the trail on a mountain bike or roughly paralleling it on road bike? The experience is quite different.

it's a very fair question. i'm probably going to hire a bike while i'm out there and while i prefer a light hybrid, if you think the only way to do the trail itself i'll take a mountain bike... i would like to do the trail if possible...

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
popslave76 said:
Hi

I hope you won't mind a few questions, but I have a big decision to make and I think I need to make it in the next few days.

Basically, I had been planning to ride the Camino de Santiago this year in September, but some personal things came up which meant i haven't been able to train, or prepare, so I am trying to decide whether to cycle Leon to Santiago in October of this year or wait until April of next year... but to make up my mind i have a few questions...

1. is this even a good route for cycling? i've done some research and people seem to think it is, but is there something more interesting of a similar distance on the official camino routes?

2. if i train rigorously i can get to a decent standard of fitness and think i can do this in about 5 days at approx 70kms a day, does that seem right or should i be allowing more time?

3. does anyone have any experience of doing the camino in april and october? i am trying to work out which is going to be more pleasant weather wise...

4. in terms of accomodation, i am planning to do it as a pilgrim, is counting on 20 euros a night as a donation reasonable?

Sorry, i have a feeling that these are stupid questions, so any help to any of them would be very gratefully received

James

1. It is a good route for cycling.

2. 5 days is easily achievable even if you are not super fit. A Camino schedule for this section is:
The first day. Generally flat until Astorga before rising gently to Rabanal.
Day 2 A stiff climb followed by a long decent to Ponferrada and cycling through the Bierzo countryside to Villafranca.
Day 3 A long climb but not difficult if you keep on the road to O Cebreiro, an annoying further climb to Alto do Poio then a long descent to Samos and a short ride to Sarria.
Day 4 A ride through rolling hills to Portomarin then a short climb and ride through farmland to Palas de Rei and on to Melide.
Day 5 Through rolling countryside to Santiago.

3. I would suspect October would be better than April. Easter always brings out the crowds on the Camino especially from Sarria onwards. It can still snow in the mountains till May, I cannot guarantee it will not in October but it is a better bet.

4. A donation of 20 euros a night is reasonable. You may need to check as some refugios close in October.

Sensible questions.

William, that is extremely helpful, thank you. You've made my mind up, I think I'm going to try and get training immediately and aim for October of this year.

I like the sound of that route, is there a place you would recommend i buy or download the full map?

also, do you think i'm better off taking my own lightweight but sturdy enough hybrid bike via trusty old Ryanair or renting one while i'm out there?

thank you all.

I would recommend getting them from the CSJ Bookshop http://www.csj.org.uk/acatalog/index.htm

CSJ Guide to the Camino Frances
The Camino Francés, 2011, William Bisset. CSJ, London, 2011. 76 + 20 pp. (Pilgrim Guides to Spain #1) Price: £7.00 - in CSJ Pilgrim Guides

and the
Camino de Santiago Maps (Set of colour maps for Camino de Santiago from Saint-Jean-Pied-de-Port/Roncesvalles-Finisterre, taken from J Brierley's Guide to Camino de Santiago.) John Brierley, Camino Guides, Price: ÂŁ9.99 - in books form other publishers

you could also buy
The Cycling Pilgrim on the Camino Francés John Curtin. CSJ, London, 2007. 36 pp.
Advice on bicycles, loading, and kit, prepared by cyclists, with information on means of getting bicycles to and from Spain, and some route suggestions for Touring Bikes away from the walkers' route. Revised Edition 2007, Price: ÂŁ2.50

Personally I would take your own bike. As long as it is one you are prepared to let Ryanair handle taking you own bike means you know what you will be riding and that it is in good condition. I always take mine.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
one word: wow!
another word: thanks!

if i wasn't excited about this this morning (and i was, trust me), then I really am now... though looking at the trail i think i'm going to have to either change my tyres for the trip or hire a bike, my current tyres would puncture in about half a second!

thanks william

popslave76 said:
i prefer a light hybrid, if you think the only way to do the trail itself i'll take a mountain bike... i would like to do the trail if possible...

Well, you can go with a hybrid and see some of the trail, and the part you are doing has better road alternatives than the route to the east of Leon, but we have done it twice, and there is no way we would go with anything but a mountain bike.

Here's some notes I wrote up and posted once before. I was blasted for giving my honest opinion, but hey, that's the internet. Also, we spend more than most, and these notes were written for friends who travel in a similar manner. We've spent our time in Refugios, and now are older, lazier, and can afford hotels and restaurants. I know there are people who love the refugios, and even those who love Sahagun. Take their opinions as well, and figure out what works for you. Buen Camino!

Notes from the Camino

The route, bike and tires

I looked all over the web trying to figure out if the Camino was best on road or mountain bikes and what tires to use, and never found a decent answer. There are tour groups and road cycling groups riding the route and the paralleling roads who try to make a case for road bikes but I think it would be a big mistake to use anything but a mountain bike with full size mountain bike tires. The route is not difficult mountain biking, more often it is on a dirt road rather than a hiking trail. There is not much pavement, maybe 10% in the first half and 30% for the rest of it. It is a wonderful ride and it would be a shame to miss it by riding the roads. There are people who ride road bikes on paved alternative routes, but unlike France, where the roads are wonderful, much of the route is crowded with high speed truck traffic. We followed the walker's route 95% of the way, and only walked our bikes about 2 km in the entire trip.

I would use a 1.9-2.2 tire with small to medium knobs in the rear and a 1.9 mountain bike racing tire with side knobs and a smoother center in the front. The first year we had a 1.5 rear tire with road tread in the rear and a side knob front tire and bought full sized rear tires halfway through the trip. Last year we had mountain bike racing tires with very little tread and were happy until it rained, when we again bought some knobby rear tires.

Pamplona to Santiago is about 800 kms. There is a fair bit of up and down every day, even away from the mountains because every ancient town is on a hilltop for defense. It took us 13 days hauling camping gear and 11 days with lighter bikes. We didn’t bike all day and sometimes quit after lunch to be tourists.

Accommodations

One can do the Camino very cheaply staying in the church sponsored refugios. The refugios are mostly miserable places packed full of students, and they won't allow cyclists to stay until it is dark and all the walkers have arrived. Then they lock up at 10:00, just when the restaurants are opening! The upside is they are almost free.

There are many places to stay along the way in the 25-50 Euro range. The word Hostel is not like a youth hostel but rather translates to motel. Many bars and restaurants have nice rooms upstairs. The only time we have had trouble is on Saturdays, particularly if a wedding or fiesta is in town.

The Paradores are something worth splurging on. They are 90-150 euros but are fabulous. We stayed in Santo Domingo in a building built by Santo Domingo himself, and we stayed in Santiago in the oldest hotel in the world, a hotel built by Isabelle and Ferdinand for pilgrims in 1499. There is a Paradore in Leon which looks interesting.

I would not bring camping gear. When in France, we frequently find a nice campground in town and eat dinner at the fancy hotel. On the Camino, refugios have eliminated much of the demand for campgrounds so often the only camping available is off in the wild with no facilities. The first year we carried camping gear and used it some, but it didn't save us much money because there are many nice cheap places to stay. Last year just we carried very light bags, and had no trouble finding good accommodations along the way.

Guidebooks and tours
You don't much need a guide book, you just follow the trail, which is well marked by blue and yellow "concha" shells and yellow arrows, and in some places shows the wear of 1000 years of pilgrims. Our favorite guides are the ones with a lot of history rather than trail directions. A book with the phone numbers of the motels might be nice if one was riding during the busy summer months but in the fall it is nice to just stay where you want to stop.

There are a lot of tours offered but I don’t recommend them. This trip is just too easy to need a tour and they skip anything inconvenient for the vehicles.

Pilgrims passport

A pilgrim’s passport is a nice thing to have. All the bars and restaurants will stamp it and some hotels will give you a discount. One must have a passport to stay in the refugios. We got ours in LePuy but I know one can get them in St. Jean Pied de Port.

The Route

The first year we started in Pamplona but if one is in reasonable shape and has time the traditional start is in St. Jean Pied de Port. St. Jean is a nice town and the climb over the Pyrenees is beautiful. We rode the hikers route, most of which is paved, and, even rode the trail through the grassy alpine meadow at the top. A road biker from Germany went with us and made it without destroying his rims.

From the ancient monastery at Roncevalles the route alternates between smooth graveled paths and some of the roughest trail of the trip. I would recommend leaving the trail for the road for much of the trip to Pamplona. Be sure to enter Pamplona on the trail, through the old town gate.

From Pamplona to Burgos the trail is nearly all dirt, up and down many short hills and really nice riding. Be sure to take the left fork past Estella to see the Monastery and Bodega at Irache. The Bodega offers the Fuente del Vino, the wine fountain where you can fill your bike bottles with free wine.

Coming into Burgos can be the worst part of the trip. The signs vanish and you get dumped onto a busy road. The arrows fork just after a large autostrade overpass. The left fork worked very well last year while the right fork was a mess the year before.

Forty-two hilly km. Past Burgos is the bar restaurant La Taberna in Castrojerez. (Calle Gral. Mola, 43 phone 947-377610). We stayed upstairs both years (30 euro) and the owners, Jesus and Tono are really nice and the food is good. There is a ruined castle above the town worth hiking around. They came out and hugged us goodbye last year.
From Burgos to Galicia cyclists realize how lucky they are to be on a bike. There are some long dry sections of good biking which would be a long lonely walk.

Sahagun is a nasty town where the locals stay up all night screaming obscenities in the street. Just past Sahagun the trail forks to an interesting but rough Roman road to the north and a smoother renovated trail to the south. The south trail has a nice quiet new bar hostel in Bercianos del Real Camino.

The old parts of Leon are very nice, I think more interesting than Burgos.

There are two routes from Leon to Hospital de Orbiga. The southern route is much nicer than the northern route, which is right on a busy road. Just don’t miss the amazing bridge at Orbiga, where the knights jousted. There is a good hotel right on the west side of the bridge. There is another fork leaving Hospital de Orbiga with the northern route being good for mountain bikers and the southern route not too bad but again near the road. The northern route is not on some maps, but it the trails rejoin just before Astorga.

The climb to the Cruz de Fer is the highest point. Many pilgrims bring a small rock from home to leave at the base of the cross, producing a true geologic wonder. We carried Oregon pumice, a rock light enough to float! The trail can be nasty but the road is very nice. Molinaseca is a great little town one the other side of the pass with few churches and at least 13 bars. Hostel Puenta Romana is new and right on the Roman bridge.

The best octopus in the world is at the Pulperia in Cacabelos, just west of Ponferada. I think there may be two Pulperias in town but the good one has a nice metal octopus sign and a good hotel right across the street.

The climb from Villa Franca del Bierzo to O Cebrero is mostly paved. There is a trail for the upper part but for a bike it is best to take the nearly abandoned road next to the trail. Pump the tires to road pressure this day! O Cebrero is interesting but a bit touristy and often in the fog. The descent to Triacastela will bring you to quieter cheaper places to stay.

The trail forks at Triacastela. The northern fork is the best ride of the whole trip. The southern route through Samos is supposed to be nice but on the main road. I wouldn’t miss the ancient roads to the north.

Sarria is a charmless, working class town, though the hotel Roma is nice with the best steaks in Northern Spain. Just before Melide is a nice place out in the country called Casa de las Samosas. The owner, Jesus, offers clean rooms in a massive stone building and a nice patio bar and good dinners.

From there Santiago is 75 km with 1440 meters of climbing, but the trail is great so it can be done in a day. Many pilgrims walk just the last 200 km so there are many places to stay towards the end of the trail.
If there is a Botefumeiro ceremony at the cathedral in Santiago go early and get a good seat!

Getting Home

Cars can be rented fairly cheaply at the Parador but unfortunately, you can’t drop a car off in another country. A pilgrims passport will get you a discount on a plane ticket in Spain. We rented cars but the train might be the best option.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
is counting on 20 euros a night as a donation reasonable?
You will be in the top 2%. List price is 6 to 12 Euros, less in the beginning, more toward the end, and private places are typically 10 to 14 Euro. If you get the demi-pension/cena, everyone is better off. You get dining companions, a home-cooked meal, and a combined value of bed and board. The hospitalero makes a bit on both food and bed. A cautionary note: the Brazilian place in Vega de Valcarce was 25 Euro for bed and dinner, and a lot of pilgrims kept walking. I did not encounter that price anywhere else.

i'm very impressed at the time everyone has put into responding to these basic questions of mine, it has made me much more enthusiastic and led to me doing 30km on my bike yesterday as my first step towards training. thank you all...

one last one, if anyone knows, i'm dwelling on the matter of what bike to take and i really don't think my hybrid is going to serve me well. i can try changing the tyres but i think it will rattle me half to death on the rockier paths.

that means either renting over there or buying something cheap here and taking it with me.

has anyone ever rented a mountain bike for the camino? is it easy to do, are there any agencies where i can collect in Leon and deposit in Santiago without having to donate an organ to someone to cover the costs?

As an update, the die is cast. I've booked my flight to Valladolid and my flight out of Santiago. I actually have 7 days to do the bike ride, which means I can be a bit more leisurely, so if anyone wants to recommend particularly lovely places to stop at and spend some time at (even slightly off the trail) then that's great too. Curiosities, lovely towns, lakes, etc... Anything

I am SO excited.

I have also found a rental company who will drop a bike off in Leon and pick it up in Santiago for just ÂŁ150 which seems reasonable to me...

Thank you all for your encouragement and help, it was greatly appreciated...

Jaime

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I would spend one of your extra days in Leon and the other in Santiago riding short days just means more time in a small town or village. Both Leon and Santiago are worth a day.
Places I like:
Leon
Astorga - town with cathehral and Gaudi building etc
Rabanal - village refugios and inns
Molinaseca - village - the hostel newfydog mentioned has a great position
Villafranca - super old town
Portomarin maybe - an interesting storey and not a bad town
Santiago
- and the countryside

hi everyone - well the time for my Camino is getting close and i'm very excited. I also need it quite badly. I think i've developed a route i like, stopping in some places which particularly interest me. I've put it below. William, this is very similar to the one you gave me with some minor adjustments, so if you have any views on my route then do say - i may be overlooking something!

day 1 - leon to astorga
day 2 - astorga to ponferrada
day 3 - ponferrada to o cebreiro (a tough day i suspect)
day 4 - o cobreiro to melid
day 5 - melid to santiago

does that look realistic?

also, i will then have 2 extra days and if i have lots of energy i thought i might try and push on to fistera. has anyone else done it? is it a good idea?

Thank you everyone for all your help!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
day 1 - leon to astorga
day 2 - astorga to ponferrada
day 3 - ponferrada to o cebreiro (a tough day i suspect)
day 4 - o cobreiro to melide
day 5 - melid to santiago

Day 1 is short but there is much to see in both Leona and Astorga so I think it is sensible.
Day 2 is a climb to start but from the top of the hill after cruz de ferro (there is a false flat and the cruz is not the highest point) it is downhill to Ponferrada so takes little time and energy. I find Ponferrada not to be the most picturesque town and would stop before or after it.
Day 3 is not so bad. The climb up to O Cebreiro is long but not difficult. There is not a huge amount of accommodation at O Cebreiro but it is an atmospheric place and I can understand why you would want to stay there.
Day 4 seems the toughest to me the stretches to Sarria, Portomarin, Palas de Rei and Melide are all of reasonable length and although you start with a downhill (after a climb to Alto de Poio) it is never flat for long.
Day 5 Melide to Santiago is no problem but again lumpier than you might imagine.

An alternative might be:
day 1 - leon to astorga
day 2 - astorga to cacabelos or villafranca
day 3 - cacabelos or villafranca to tricastela or sarria
day 4 - tricastela or sarria to palas de rei or melide
day 5 - palas de rei or melide to santiago

Just see how the days go but all the alternatives allow time to smell the roses.

William, as ever, thank you. I've given myself a few alternative routes from what i'd consider tough to what would be pretty easy. big thanks for all your advice. any thoughts on fistera/ finisterre? J

Hello everyone - tomorrow morning at 8am I set off for Valladolid, and then Leon, and will begin my Camino on Sunday. Thanks to everyone for their advice, I'm as prepared as i can be in terms of research if not fitness. You have all been stars, particularly William. Wish me luck, I'm going to need it!

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Hi everyone

Just to say i made it and had the most extraordinary experience of my life - and i couldn't have done it without all the advice given by you kind people. My bike also survived the trip in perfect nick - even more remarkably it survived two journeys with Ryanair.

The weather was amazing - sunny the whole time except for the days when i was heading up to Cruz de Ferro and O Cebeiro, ie the perfect time for a bit of cloud to cool things down. I met amazing people, saw amazing sights and filled up 31 pages of diary and took about 600 photos.

William, you were right about Villafranca and Ponferrada - the former was just gorgeous, a total delight, while i didn't think much of the latter at all.

Anyway, i wanted to thank everyone, i now have a major case of post-camino blues. Which leads me to another question - what next? Has anyone here done the Camino Nortes? Or does anyone else have any great bike trips overseas that they'd recommend?

Jaime

Hi there,
I've been discussing the possibility of doing the Camino with a friend next year and read your posts and the replies with much interest. Maybe you'd be happy to answer a couple of questions for me.
From your last post it seems you eventually decided to take your own bike. How did you pack it and did you have facilities for repacking it at the end of the trip ?
Since you said earlier that it was a hybrid, did you have to do some of the journey on roads or did it handle the trail without mishap ?
Were you able to cycle to and from airports at either end ?
Hope you can help.
Cheers

Glad to hear your trip went well.

A few notes---

The wet weather at the Cruz de Fer is standard. The sun has not shown up there in the history of the Camino. Someone posted a photo with a blue sky, but I'm sure it was photoshopped.

If I could just do the Leon to Santiago or SJPP to Leon, I'd prefer the eastern segment,( now that I've been to Santiago a few times).

The trip from LePuy to SJPP is very good on a bike. The route from Arles is fairly hard.

I try to have the next trip in the early planning stage before returning home, to prevent post camino blues.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
No problem badolki

My main advice is to do it. I can't tell you how glad I am that I did it.

On the packing issue. I ordered a purpose-made large clear heavy duty plastic bag from wiggle.co.uk (i don't know where you are based), some big bubble wrap for the back gears and then taped it shut with masking tape. For me this had two advantages. Firstly, it folded up into a relatively small and light bit of luggage which i could carry with me, and therefore not worry about repackaging at the other end. Secondly, it meant that baggage handlers could see what they were handling, what bits were sensitive and hopefully treat it well. They did and the bike survived both flights intact, not even a gear jarred.

However, there are other people who have had bad experiences, so i can only tell you mine. If you did want to take it in a more resilient cardboard box, i did see others who had got their boxes in Santiago, but i can't tell you where...

My bike was indeed a hybrid and i semi-accidentally used it in a hybrid way. For the section of the camino I did the trail is often on roads and when it isn't it is mostly passable. There are a few climbs i personally couldn't have possibly done on the bike, so i walked it. There are a few places on the trail itself which are so stony or difficult (at one point stepping stones over a river!) that i don't think you'd be able to cycle it with the best mountain bike in the world, you just have to push. There were a few spots where I skipped the trail for a road, but i'd say i did 65% or more on the main trail. The bike was absolutely fine throughout, though i did get off it at very stony points and i also had mega-re-inforced tyres.

I flew into Valladolid and flew from Santiago. Both are about 10 km from the city centres and both are easy to cycle from and to.

One other bit of advice is to choose your time well. I would probably try and avoid the absolute peak months - april, july, august - and maybe even may and september, too. The camino was still pretty busy at the start of october and a few refuges were full. If it had been busier i'd have spent a lot more time worrying about walking pilgrims (the trail is very narrow at points) and probably not have found accomodation as easily...

Anyway, as i say, do it, it's an amazing experience.

Jaime

newfydog - i like the idea of doing sjpp to leon - that way i'd have done pretty much the whole of the frances route. what a great idea...

do you think that would be doable in early may or too busy? i know that the sjpp to leon section is a little bit quieter than the rest.

secondly, i hate to contradict you, but although the way up to cruz de ferro was cloudy, it cleared and the sun absolutely blazed when i arrived. there's a pic of me next to it with bright cloudless skies and i swear i don't know how to photoshop! if i'd known how lucky i was i might have appreciated it more!

J

popslave76 said:
Hi everyone

Just to say i made it and had the most extraordinary experience of my life - and i couldn't have done it without all the advice given by you kind people. My bike also survived the trip in perfect nick - even more remarkably it survived two journeys with Ryanair.

The weather was amazing - sunny the whole time except for the days when i was heading up to Cruz de Ferro and O Cebeiro, ie the perfect time for a bit of cloud to cool things down. I met amazing people, saw amazing sights and filled up 31 pages of diary and took about 600 photos.

William, you were right about Villafranca and Ponferrada - the former was just gorgeous, a total delight, while i didn't think much of the latter at all.

Anyway, i wanted to thank everyone, i now have a major case of post-camino blues. Which leads me to another question - what next? Has anyone here done the Camino Nortes? Or does anyone else have any great bike trips overseas that they'd recommend?

Jaime

Singapore to Thailand = )

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Well, you can go with a hybrid and see some of the trail, and the part you are doing has better road alternatives than the route to the east of Leon, but we have done it twice, and there is no way we would go with anything but a mountain bike.

Here's some notes I wrote up and posted once before. I was blasted for giving my honest opinion, but hey, that's the internet. Also, we spend more than most, and these notes were written for friends who travel in a similar manner. We've spent our time in Refugios, and now are older, lazier, and can afford hotels and restaurants. I know there are people who love the refugios, and even those who love Sahagun. Take their opinions as well, and figure out what works for you. Buen Camino!

Notes from the Camino

The route, bike and tires

I looked all over the web trying to figure out if the Camino was best on road or mountain bikes and what tires to use, and never found a decent answer. There are tour groups and road cycling groups riding the route and the paralleling roads who try to make a case for road bikes but I think it would be a big mistake to use anything but a mountain bike with full size mountain bike tires. The route is not difficult mountain biking, more often it is on a dirt road rather than a hiking trail. There is not much pavement, maybe 10% in the first half and 30% for the rest of it. It is a wonderful ride and it would be a shame to miss it by riding the roads. There are people who ride road bikes on paved alternative routes, but unlike France, where the roads are wonderful, much of the route is crowded with high speed truck traffic. We followed the walker's route 95% of the way, and only walked our bikes about 2 km in the entire trip.

I would use a 1.9-2.2 tire with small to medium knobs in the rear and a 1.9 mountain bike racing tire with side knobs and a smoother center in the front. The first year we had a 1.5 rear tire with road tread in the rear and a side knob front tire and bought full sized rear tires halfway through the trip. Last year we had mountain bike racing tires with very little tread and were happy until it rained, when we again bought some knobby rear tires.

Pamplona to Santiago is about 800 kms. There is a fair bit of up and down every day, even away from the mountains because every ancient town is on a hilltop for defense. It took us 13 days hauling camping gear and 11 days with lighter bikes. We didn’t bike all day and sometimes quit after lunch to be tourists.

Accommodations

One can do the Camino very cheaply staying in the church sponsored refugios. The refugios are mostly miserable places packed full of students, and they won't allow cyclists to stay until it is dark and all the walkers have arrived. Then they lock up at 10:00, just when the restaurants are opening! The upside is they are almost free.

There are many places to stay along the way in the 25-50 Euro range. The word Hostel is not like a youth hostel but rather translates to motel. Many bars and restaurants have nice rooms upstairs. The only time we have had trouble is on Saturdays, particularly if a wedding or fiesta is in town.

The Paradores are something worth splurging on. They are 90-150 euros but are fabulous. We stayed in Santo Domingo in a building built by Santo Domingo himself, and we stayed in Santiago in the oldest hotel in the world, a hotel built by Isabelle and Ferdinand for pilgrims in 1499. There is a Paradore in Leon which looks interesting.

I would not bring camping gear. When in France, we frequently find a nice campground in town and eat dinner at the fancy hotel. On the Camino, refugios have eliminated much of the demand for campgrounds so often the only camping available is off in the wild with no facilities. The first year we carried camping gear and used it some, but it didn't save us much money because there are many nice cheap places to stay. Last year just we carried very light bags, and had no trouble finding good accommodations along the way.

Guidebooks and tours
You don't much need a guide book, you just follow the trail, which is well marked by blue and yellow "concha" shells and yellow arrows, and in some places shows the wear of 1000 years of pilgrims. Our favorite guides are the ones with a lot of history rather than trail directions. A book with the phone numbers of the motels might be nice if one was riding during the busy summer months but in the fall it is nice to just stay where you want to stop.

There are a lot of tours offered but I don’t recommend them. This trip is just too easy to need a tour and they skip anything inconvenient for the vehicles.

Pilgrims passport

A pilgrim’s passport is a nice thing to have. All the bars and restaurants will stamp it and some hotels will give you a discount. One must have a passport to stay in the refugios. We got ours in LePuy but I know one can get them in St. Jean Pied de Port.

The Route

The first year we started in Pamplona but if one is in reasonable shape and has time the traditional start is in St. Jean Pied de Port. St. Jean is a nice town and the climb over the Pyrenees is beautiful. We rode the hikers route, most of which is paved, and, even rode the trail through the grassy alpine meadow at the top. A road biker from Germany went with us and made it without destroying his rims.

From the ancient monastery at Roncevalles the route alternates between smooth graveled paths and some of the roughest trail of the trip. I would recommend leaving the trail for the road for much of the trip to Pamplona. Be sure to enter Pamplona on the trail, through the old town gate.

From Pamplona to Burgos the trail is nearly all dirt, up and down many short hills and really nice riding. Be sure to take the left fork past Estella to see the Monastery and Bodega at Irache. The Bodega offers the Fuente del Vino, the wine fountain where you can fill your bike bottles with free wine.

Coming into Burgos can be the worst part of the trip. The signs vanish and you get dumped onto a busy road. The arrows fork just after a large autostrade overpass. The left fork worked very well last year while the right fork was a mess the year before.

Forty-two hilly km. Past Burgos is the bar restaurant La Taberna in Castrojerez. (Calle Gral. Mola, 43 phone 947-377610). We stayed upstairs both years (30 euro) and the owners, Jesus and Tono are really nice and the food is good. There is a ruined castle above the town worth hiking around. They came out and hugged us goodbye last year.
From Burgos to Galicia cyclists realize how lucky they are to be on a bike. There are some long dry sections of good biking which would be a long lonely walk.

Sahagun is a nasty town where the locals stay up all night screaming obscenities in the street. Just past Sahagun the trail forks to an interesting but rough Roman road to the north and a smoother renovated trail to the south. The south trail has a nice quiet new bar hostel in Bercianos del Real Camino.

The old parts of Leon are very nice, I think more interesting than Burgos.

There are two routes from Leon to Hospital de Orbiga. The southern route is much nicer than the northern route, which is right on a busy road. Just don’t miss the amazing bridge at Orbiga, where the knights jousted. There is a good hotel right on the west side of the bridge. There is another fork leaving Hospital de Orbiga with the northern route being good for mountain bikers and the southern route not too bad but again near the road. The northern route is not on some maps, but it the trails rejoin just before Astorga.

The climb to the Cruz de Fer is the highest point. Many pilgrims bring a small rock from home to leave at the base of the cross, producing a true geologic wonder. We carried Oregon pumice, a rock light enough to float! The trail can be nasty but the road is very nice. Molinaseca is a great little town one the other side of the pass with few churches and at least 13 bars. Hostel Puenta Romana is new and right on the Roman bridge.

The best octopus in the world is at the Pulperia in Cacabelos, just west of Ponferada. I think there may be two Pulperias in town but the good one has a nice metal octopus sign and a good hotel right across the street.

The climb from Villa Franca del Bierzo to O Cebrero is mostly paved. There is a trail for the upper part but for a bike it is best to take the nearly abandoned road next to the trail. Pump the tires to road pressure this day! O Cebrero is interesting but a bit touristy and often in the fog. The descent to Triacastela will bring you to quieter cheaper places to stay.

The trail forks at Triacastela. The northern fork is the best ride of the whole trip. The southern route through Samos is supposed to be nice but on the main road. I wouldn’t miss the ancient roads to the north.

Sarria is a charmless, working class town, though the hotel Roma is nice with the best steaks in Northern Spain. Just before Melide is a nice place out in the country called Casa de las Samosas. The owner, Jesus, offers clean rooms in a massive stone building and a nice patio bar and good dinners.

From there Santiago is 75 km with 1440 meters of climbing, but the trail is great so it can be done in a day. Many pilgrims walk just the last 200 km so there are many places to stay towards the end of the trail.
If there is a Botefumeiro ceremony at the cathedral in Santiago go early and get a good seat!

Getting Home

Cars can be rented fairly cheaply at the Parador but unfortunately, you can’t drop a car off in another country. A pilgrims passport will get you a discount on a plane ticket in Spain. We rented cars but the train might be the best option.
thank you! I've been looking for a good description of cycling the Camino Frances...

Most read last week in this forum

I Willl start biking from SJPD on 9.may with Ebike. I have a list of bike friendly albergs is there somebody who have experience with charging batery in such alberg. Do i need afdition 220v...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back