A donation to the forum removes ads for you, and supports Ivar in his work running it

Advertisement

Buy any book, get free camino shell

Cycling Paris-Epernay-Vézelay-SJPP

Camino(s) past & future
Mozárabe 2009
Vía de la Plata 2009
Arles-Puente la Reina 2016
Via Campaniensis (Reims-Vézelay) 2018
I definitely was not “match fit” for this adventure ride, although I do do a lot of yoga so I knew if I stuck with it for 2 weeks I’d be fine.
I’ve walked the Annapurna Circuit in Nepal, the Zanskar Valley in India along with the Camino Mozarabic and the Arle route to Puente la Reina so I knew what the trails would be like but I hadn’t cycled for years and had never done a long distance bicycle ride.
When I was in Andalusia I remember thinking how good it would be to go a bit faster on those long straights.
Well a cycle goes fast, right ???
First step buy a cycle !!!
Love the idea of packing a bike rather than backpacking, bikepacking !!!
Enter Salsa Fargo

0DB1CDD1-4E5D-4DBA-9630-5ADBB92E397E.jpeg
To be continued ....

Purky

The Dutch guy
Camino(s) past & future
Breathe properly.
Stay curious.
And walk a camino.
I presume a carrier and panniers will be added later? I've always wondered about the luggage of 'bikepackers': they seem to carry more gear with them than I do when walking.

Paladina

Camino(s) past & future
Cycled caminos francés, Finisterre, primitivo & del norte (2017); VdlP/Sanabres, ingles et al (2018)
I presume a carrier and panniers will be added later? I've always wondered about the luggage of 'bikepackers': they seem to carry more gear with them than I do when walking.
Of course they do. A walker does not need to carry bike tools, spare tubes etc., but a bike can bear more weight than your back can. Real bikepacking, however, is a exercise in minimalism and doesn’t require panniers, although it may well require blind faith and an unlimited credit card.

Purky

The Dutch guy
Camino(s) past & future
Breathe properly.
Stay curious.
And walk a camino.
Of course they do. A walker does not need to carry bike tools, spare tubes etc., but a bike can bear more weight than your back can. Real bikepacking, however, is a exercise in minimalism and doesn’t require panniers, although it may well require blind faith and an unlimited credit card.
I figured there would be some bike tools involved. And I guess that, especially with panniers, more space invites more stuff. The same goes for walking with a backpack that is too large: you have to be somewhat disciplined to avoid stuffing it to the brim with 'just in case'. I'll get there one day...

Paladina

Camino(s) past & future
Cycled caminos francés, Finisterre, primitivo & del norte (2017); VdlP/Sanabres, ingles et al (2018)
Although I pack less than I used to, the panniers still weigh well over 10kg. The effort of hauling excess baggage around, however, usually results in a 7kg loss in body weight, so I can persuade myself that it’s not necessary to saw the handles off bike tools and toothbrush, or to leave the book behind!

Kat Kostrzewska

Online guide https://caminodesantiagobybike.co.uk
Camino(s) past & future
Camino Frances (2006, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2018), Via Tolosana (2012) Camino Norte (2014)
Yes, we do. Mostly because we can! Look at us on the Camino loaded down with luggage. If you wonder – all of the essential tools weight less than 1 kg…

Camino(s) past & future
Mozárabe 2009
Vía de la Plata 2009
Arles-Puente la Reina 2016
Via Campaniensis (Reims-Vézelay) 2018
Ah yes the luggage system !!! With Bikepacking the main areas where one can store luggage are at the handlebar, the seat post and within the frame and on the top tube.

With the handlebar system I decided to go with Bike Bag Dude sling and roll top bag with a Relevate Egress Pocket.
The roll top bag has sleeping gear a down jacket and a spare pair of bib shorts. The pocket is quick release and has passport, money, glasses and trail food etc...
5DFCB0B7-A6DB-4361-8DF1-2B22511904A4.jpeg
The seatpost bag is a Relevate Terapin 14L, it holds all my clothing, toiletries, towel and electronic charging gear.
C3EFF19B-ED20-4EA7-8076-FFBCD00DC820.jpeg
The frame bag is also from Bike Bag Dude it holds spare parts, tubes, pump, camelback (water), first aide kit, arm/leg warmers.
795814CE-8054-44DE-BBF3-5484710860D9.jpeg

Purky

The Dutch guy
Camino(s) past & future
Breathe properly.
Stay curious.
And walk a camino.
And an old-school Brooks saddle... I like your style, pilgrim.

Paladina

Camino(s) past & future
And an old-school Brooks saddle... I like your style, pilgrim.
A heavyweight concession to comfort rather than style perhaps?

OLDER threads on this topic

A few items available from the Camino Forum Store

Advertisement

Booking.com

Most read today

Most downloaded Resources

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Forum Store

Camino Forum Store

Casa Ivar Newsletter

Forum Donation

Forum Donation
For those with no forum account, it is possible to donate here as well. Thank you for your support! Ivar

Follow Casa Ivar on Instagram

When is the best time to walk?

• January

Votes: 9 1.2%
  • February

Votes: 4 0.5%
  • March

Votes: 34 4.5%
  • April

Votes: 112 14.7%
  • May

Votes: 188 24.7%