• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Cycling Route for 16 folding bike

jcatienza

Time of past OR future Camino
Frances March 2012
Frances April 2015
Hello.

I would like some advice for a 200km route/itinerary to Santiago de Compostela that is doable for a 16 inch folding bicycle (preferably the walkers' path).

I would like to walk the whole camino someday but it is my first time (also alone & unsupported) and I am from Asia so I am a bit worried.

I am also diabetic so I am thinking of using a bicycle instead of walking in case of emergencies.

Thank you.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I have not ridden a folding bicycle with 16" wheels, but I can think of a lot of parts of the camino that would not be suitable for it. Roads parallel the route in all cases, so you can probably stick to paving when necessary. I notice that the folding bike does not provide for much cargo even in panniers. Cycling with a load on your shoulders may be very tiring. Only you know if you have experience in this.

When walking the last 200 km, you will always be within shouting distance of another pilgrim, so the use of a bicycle for safety probably is not necessary.

Well, much of the last 200 km would be possible on a folding bike, but it would not be my choice. I guess you want to take a folding bike because of the airlines. You'll probably still be stuck with baggage fees which will equal the cost of one of the rental bikes. Various companies will shuttle a bike out to your starting point.

The people I know with folding bikes love them, they are like a cult. The Camino is no place for religion (joking here). The best bike for the Camino is a mountain bike. There is a reason the current trend in mountain bikes is to go to big 29 inch wheels.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Thank you, I appreciate it.

I actually distribute bicycles in my country but I was thinking it may be an overkill and intrusive to the walkers if I bring a big bike.

You are right about the airline fees..but there's something intimate about bringing your own bike to a pilgrimage. I actually do not feel "right" in bringing a bike as I am Catholic and I don't want to give an impression that I am on a tour or adventure since this trip is a thanksgiving of sorts for my dad who survived his first heart attack.

I will bring my small bike then, and if the path seems doable then I will just send the bike forward and walk the rest of the way.

jcatienza said:
Thank you, I appreciate it.

I actually distribute bicycles in my country but I was thinking it may be an overkill and intrusive to the walkers if I bring a big bike.

Actually, those folding bike scare the heck out of me----without proper gyroscopic action they woggle and dart about like a chicken. I give them a wide berth :) .

If you put on the widest tires you can you'll be able to ride much of the trail. The road alternatives are nice on that part too. Get a small, pleasant, polite bell and give it a little ding well before you approach any walkers and with very few exceptions, they will greet you kindly.

Most read last week in this forum

Ivan. I believe I can rent two bikes through you between Burgos and Leon. Can you let me know if this is possible? I plan to arrive in Burgos on 11 May and start cycling the next day. Thanks
Plan to cycle between Burgos and Leon over three or four days. Are there any interesting detours between these two cities that would take up a 4th day?

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back