• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Cycling Santander to Burgos

Stevenlou

Time of past OR future Camino
None
Hi all, we have our camino booked for august/Sept 2019 just wondering has anyone cycled from santander to burgos, was planning to load 2 bikes on alsa bus to Burgos to then pick up camino trail, however an after thought is maybe we could cycle to Burgos, wondering what road network is like en route and also accommodation has we would break it up with a stop part way to Burgos.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Hi, I don't see any problems with you cycling from Santander to Burgos and you shouldn't have any problems finding accommodation along the way as most of the area is well catered for.

If you are constrained with time and want to take a bus to Burgos, I would suggest that you carry a few light-weight bike carriers for transporting your bikes. We have normal bikes (as can be seen in my photo, although I've since bought a slightly different one for myself), and if you take the wheels off they can go into a bag quite easily. Be aware that August can be horrendously hot, and even September as well. But that's one of the joys of being on a bike, isn't it as you make your own wind and can keep much cooler if you're cycling. And going over the Meseta is a doddle - so much easier than walking it. Carry lots of water and have some high-sustainable snacks and you'll be fine. Most of all, enjoy what is always a truly memorable experience.

We cycled from Bayonne to Santiago in July 2013, going through St John Pied de Port. Although it was hard in parts, we both found it a joy. Funny how the worst bits recede quite quickly yet you always remember all the great bits. And now we are looking into cycling from Santander using the Camino de Norte route and into Santiago sometime this year, and are doing a lot of research as we're both in our seventies now, and maybe not as fit as we used to be.

Many thanks for your reply we will be riding hybrid and gravel bikes, we visited santander about 7 years ago in June they had the most horrendous rain for 5 days, the main reason we opted for the sunshine months we know it is also difficult in the heat, we are keen cyclists in our mid 50s and are looking forward to a 4 week adventure. Steve n lou

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Hi all, we have our camino booked for august/Sept 2019 just wondering has anyone cycled from santander to burgos, was planning to load 2 bikes on alsa bus to Burgos to then pick up camino trail, however an after thought is maybe we could cycle to Burgos, wondering what road network is like en route and also accommodation has we would break it up with a stop part way to Burgos.
An alternative to Burgos is to start from Fromista. There are trains from Santander to I think Palencia that stop at Fromista which is on the Camino Frances. It is approximately halfway between Burgos and Leon. This then gives you access to the Alberque/hostal network.

Thanks for your suggestion, we will have a think about that, we have set our minds on beginning in Burgos we have plenty of time to cycle from Burgos to santiago. Although cycling from fromista would shorten the camino it would give us more time to enjoy Northern Spain. Many thanks.

Hi Stevenlou
Did you end up cycling from Santander to Burgos to join the Camino Frances to Santiago? I live in Devon and want to cycle from home to Santiago using the Plymouth-Santander ferry to join the CF at Burgos. I'd be interested where you chose to stop between Santander and Burgos and which routing you chose? Komoot suggests passing just to the eastern end of Lake Ebro then via Incillas and up Alto de la Mazorra.
I've walked the CF 4 years ago so know the type of terrain from Burgos westwards.
Many thanks
Matt

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-

Most read last week in this forum

Ivan. I believe I can rent two bikes through you between Burgos and Leon. Can you let me know if this is possible? I plan to arrive in Burgos on 11 May and start cycling the next day. Thanks
Plan to cycle between Burgos and Leon over three or four days. Are there any interesting detours between these two cities that would take up a 4th day?

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back