• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Cycling sleeves for walking

Liddybee

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances September 2017
Porto to Santiago September 2018
Via Francigena Upcoming in 2020
One month to go and I'm constantly playing with my gear to determine what I should really take on the Frances. My latest thought is to take cycling sleeves for the mornings that are cool enough to need something covering the arms, but when I know that I'll be plenty warm in just a t-shirt a little later in the day. My logic is that I can just pull off the sleeves and stuff them in a pocket and not have to worry about divesting an entire layer of clothing. They're small, light, and also rated for SPF 50 for extremely sunny days. I'm confused that I've not seen any discussion of anything like this on the forum. Have I just missed it? Is my logic flawed?

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
On the frances you are likely to stop for a second breakfast after 60-90 minutes of walking, so taking off a light fleece then will not be an issue. Because of this, the sleeves will just be another single use item, and only good for an hour a day or so.

I did look into sunblockijg sleeves for VSLP in April and when I saw the price I decided to pass. Next time on VDLP I will buy some as I ended up with welts on my arms after a few days from the sun.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I prefer a lightweight hiking shirt - it is cool enough to wear with sleeves rolled down for sun protection, but still provides just enough warmth on chilly mornings. I had liked the idea that I would roll the sleeves up if I wanted to, but I must say I've never got the urge! My husband likes to walk in a t-shirt, despite frequently being cold in the morning or too hot after a few minutes if he wore a lightweight fleece. After years of walking together, I get the feeling he's almost ready to concede long sleeves are a fabulous idea;-)

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Sleeves is a good idea.

I used a light parka if the morning is cold as cycling tends to warm my body faster than walking.

My main issues are the fingers exposed due to the cut out gloves. Solution? A pair of socks.

That is for April (Oct?) weather and won't be needed by 10 am.

I started walking the CF from SJPdP on 15 September 2 years ago. I used my rain jacket as a warm layer early mornings and evenings. Under that a long sleeved silk shirt. The rain jacket worked perfectly as a warm layer. The silk shirt worked to protect from sun. I also had a fleece for when it got a bit frosty into October but mostly just used my rain jacket.

Wore my fleece in the morning for about 30 min. then would take it off and stuff it back in my pack.
I also had a long sleeve blouse that I wore a lot, then would roll up the sleeves once it warmed up. For me, this is the easiest solution.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I used them last year from the end of Sept. to the secong week in Nov. and they worked great for me. I hiked in a work jumpsuit and these took the chill off until lunch time on many days. Easy to wash and quick to dry also. They take up no room at all. Gave me some contrasting color, being the fashionista that I am ! Buen Camino.

Have I just missed it? Is my logic flawed?

Not flawed. Sleeves work well as a layer. Light and easy to wash and easier to take off than a long sleeve undershirt; and probably less sweaty too.

Remember that when it comes to layers, on the camino or in the wild, getting wet is no bueno. When you feel yourself getting too hot, stop and change it up before you sweat into your clothes. And vice versa.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Great idea. I wish I had them in April/May 2017 when I walked Frances route - perhaps could have used them a few morning for warmth with a t-shirt but also for afternoon sun a few days without adding too much warmth. I just bought them on www.aliexpress.com for about US$3 per pair (can take up to 4 weeks for delivery but got mine in 2 weeks). Yup, under US$3 per pair and shipping included. My sleeves just arrived and I will definitely take them on my next Camino. Have fun.

I just bought them on www.aliexpress.com for about US$3 per pair (can take up to 4 weeks for delivery but got mine in 2 weeks). Yup, under US$3 per pair and shipping included.
At that price I'd be taking a different pair for every day of the week :).

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
I use this- but as leggings. Some of them work as both...
I only bring shorts and use bicycle leggings in the cold mornings in mid April to mid May where you can ahave 0 - 2 dgrs centigrade in the early morning.
Even in rain they are better than ordinary trouserlegs.
I only felt silly the very forst day, but as I´ve always used the method when bicycling, why not use them when walking.
I usually ditch the 10 - 11 ish, except when it´s raining , `course!

https://goo.gl/photos/FXdgPP4g24vFC5Rd9

Last edited:
:) I was all set to go on a know-it-all attitude in replying to this thread and OP....... BUT THEN, it occured to me that this is just another variation of the various threads addressing the topic of "Trekking Poles or No Trekking Poles". Cycling sleeves work just fine in lieu of long sleeved shirts. Here's my preference, for what its worth:

I use long sleeved shirts and base layers with sleeves that hang somewhat loose. I do so because it is easier for me to roll up my sleeves when conditions permit than by having to stop and dig around in my pack to either put on or take off sleeves. That's just me. Also, I almost always have my sleeves down. If its chilly, I reduce temp loss. If it's sunny and warm, sleeves keep me cooler by keeping the direct radiant energy of the sun from hitting my skin (just look at how the middle eastern desert dwellers keep all bare skin covered when out in the desert sun). I also don't need sunscreen.

Prior to converting to all long sleeves all the time, I used 'cycling' sleeves, and they did the job of keeping me warm and cool just like long sleeves. Now, I can have long or short sleeves while on the fly with a simple roll up or roll down :)

That's my two cents/pence/euro/whatever :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Cycling sleeves are a great idea. I use them for cycling regularly. I opted not to take them for my May Camino, only because I (correctly) anticipated that I would be wearing either a fleece, long sleeved t-shirt or rain jacket most or all of the time. The rain jacket won out for the most part. As long as you also have warmer options, go for it.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Love my sleeves,wear them often.If under my rain jacket in the morning I can easily pull them down to my wrists while walking, when I warm up. Also as an extra layer in the evening under my fleece.

One month to go and I'm constantly playing with my gear to determine what I should really take on the Frances. My latest thought is to take cycling sleeves for the mornings that are cool enough to need something covering the arms, but when I know that I'll be plenty warm in just a t-shirt a little later in the day. My logic is that I can just pull off the sleeves and stuff them in a pocket and not have to worry about divesting an entire layer of clothing. They're small, light, and also rated for SPF 50 for extremely sunny days. I'm confused that I've not seen any discussion of anything like this on the forum. Have I just missed it? Is my logic flawed?
Cycling sleeves in action ...... on an exquisite sunny morning when it was warming up nicely. Be aware tho' of holding onto too many things - including some of the photographer's belongings so you can have your picture taken next to blue jeans (the reason for the photo) - as you may want to avoid looking like what my son called, "a Swiss Army knife." :oops::p

Attachments

• Camino 075.1.jpg
    Camino 075.1.jpg
    539.8 KB · Views: 27
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I used it religiously to protect my arms from the hot sun. It kept me very cool and less sweaty compared to wearing long sleeves tshirt. The material is lighter. My camino girlfriends thought it was a great idea as it would have protected their arms from being sun burnt and gives them the flexibility to remove it .

Absolutely a good idea.
I use them and would definitely recommend them.

the sleeves will just be another single use item, and only good for an hour a day or so.
With respect, this is total rubbish.
That might be the likely use, but they can be worn any time of day when warmth is needed.
It is an extension/combination of the layering / multi-use principle. The sleeves make the shirt into a multi-purpose item. It allows one extra item e.g. fleece to be discarded.
Instead of taking a short-sleeve walking short, a long-sleeve walking shirt, a fleece, you can take short sleeve shirt, cycling sleeves, and a rain top. Multiple wear cases covered.

I also have cycling leggings so I can take one light weight trousers and still be able to walk when cool.

Hi - instead of a fleece jacket I take a fleece vest and fleece sleeves I made myself. Worked great as I had more flexibility. I used them both on the Frances last fall and the Norte/Primativo this spring. My husband uses the cut off legs of women's fleecey tights he bought in Astorga for E3 when the mornings were starting to get pretty chilly! They came this spring too, and he used them both on his arms and on his legs in connection with his shorts. Looked weird, but they got used a lot of days!

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
I took a pair of cycling sleeves on the CF in Oct/Nov 2017; I used them once then not again. I think I ended up sending them ahead to Ivar.
I had a long-sleeved shirt, a short-sleeved shirt and a faux down jacket. They were all I needed! (Except when it rained; then I added my poncho!)

Loved the sleeves!! One of my favorite items. Good warmth, and protection from the sun too. Easy on/off...

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I have used them 2 years ago in June on the Portuguese. I saw nobody else using them but for me it was a most usefull item very light, cancelled out the need for a long sleeve shirt. They were protecting me from the sun and seem to regulate the temperature. Even when it was very hot there was no need to take them off at the same time they provided some warmth when it was cool.

No matter the climate, I travel with cycling sun sleeves (N.B. SUN sleeves - NOT arm warmers). The cycling sun sleeves are constructed of technical fabric and wick away the moisture. I promise they will keep you cool in the heat. I took a pair on a tour of Southeast Asia and my travel companions were so envious: I was comfortable even when the heat and humidity in Angor Wat was at its worst. Everyone else (including a physician from India) were absolutely melting.

I dislike slathering up with sunscreen every 3 or 4 hours so the sun sleeves eliminate that need and keep me cool to boot. I would not recommend them as a substitute for a long sleeve shirt.

Most read last week in this forum

My son has advised me to delete unnecessary apps, books, podcasts, downloaded videos etc from my iPhone. Saves up to 250gms. Great weight saving hack.
Hi. Shawn and Lainey are a lovely couple - so positive! - who now live in Galicia and have a Youtube presence "Days we Spend" with plenty of excellent and informative Camino videos - they are...
Hi! I'm traveling to Porto tomorrow and starting the Camino on the 19th, the problem is that I've just weighed my pack and it's 2 kilos more than it should be! Should I get rid of some stuff or...
Hello all - thank you all so much for all of the guidance on what is not my only first camino but first hike over about 5 miles! I've headed a lot of advice about backpacks and trekking poles and...
I am finally embarking on my first camino later this year. I will be taking my Canon R6 camera with me. For others that have taken DLSR’s or mirrorless cameras, what lens or lenses did you find...
While reading through one of the more recent water bottle vs. hydration bladder debates, I was reminded of something I came across a few weeks ago, bookmarked, and promptly forgot about until said...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.