• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Cycling St Jean to Leon in early Sep - tips or advice please

popslave76

Hi all

Having cycled last year from Leon to Santiago and having the greatest experience of my life, this year I am cycling from St Jean to Leon in order to "complete" my camino (in 2013 i'm doing the lot!).

I have a couple of questions and am looking for any tips or advice

1. Last time i went in October, this time i'm doing early September. I know it will be much busier. Do you think it will be a problem finding albergues? Can anyone recommend any which are cyclist friendly? Even what time you should be aiming to arrive to get a bed? Also, any recommendations on particularly interesting alberques to stay in, eg convents or monasteries?

2. Can i get my pilgrims passport in St Jean? And if so where?

3. What places would you recommend I see and or stay in? Interesting sights, beautiful nature, interesting towns or villages? I was particularly fond of the little unusual villages from last time, particularly the hillside ones, so things like that would be great. Also, any bits of history i should make time for along the way? And finally, I'd like to swim, so any recommendations of good pools or rivers or lakes would be amazing.

Thanks all. Last time you were all so helpful to me, so I'm sure you will be able to help this time. And if anyone's going at the same time, say hello, maybe we can run into each other along the way...

Appreciated, James

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
James,

Although I am no longer a cyclist but a walker, nevertheless here are a few answers to some of your questions.

1. You may wish to investigate the Bike-line Service for cyclists on the Camino. it lists those albergues which are cyclist friendly. See >>http://bike-line.blogspot.com.es/

One such albegue is at Viloria de Rioja just east of Belorado. Acacio and Orietta have a wonderful refuge for pilgrims which is also cyclist friendly. I stayed there late October 2010. They have created a comfortable oasis from abandoned animal sheds; there are 10 comfy bunks in a dorm heated by a wood burning stove and great showers that water you and not the ceiling, walls or your clothes. Wifi is available as is a multilingual library specializing in books by Paulo Coelho. See >> http://www.peregrinando.org/.

2. In Saint-Jean the office for the Amies du Chemin de Saint Jacques at 39 rue de la Citadelle can provide you with a both a Credential and lodging assistance. Their volunteers help run the albergue at 55 rue de la Citadelle. Recently renovated this is a fine place to stay, but they do NOT take reservations. If their albergue is full they will help you find lodgings when you are on site.

3. There are many wonderful vistas and places on the camino. One truly exceptional one is the church at Eunate near Puente la Reina. This small, circular structure is more than 1000 years old and may be based on the plan of the Holy Sepulcher in Jerusalem. Nestled into the rolling countryside it is truly timeless. Within the dim interior one senses the deep peace of eternity. Don't miss it!

Buen Camino,

Margaret

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.

Most read last week in this forum

This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back