• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Cycling the Camino Del Norte?

lawrencekellyuk

Has anybody cycled the Camino del Norte? I'll explain my scenario: 4 of us are going to attempt a camino in September, 3 of us have purely road bikes, and one a hybrid, so although we could perhaps take short bursts of very mild off road, and even walk if necessary, really we want to be doing as much road stuff as possible. Having read a little bit about del Norte route it seems like it could be a really interesting route, plus a little shorter than the main Camino Frances, which is good as we're not sure about the amount of time we'll get off work (could be anywhere between 10 and 18 days). Finally, having read a few blogs it seems that spending any large amount of time on waling trails may not be appreciated too much by the walkers themselves.

Anyway, any tips anybody could share would be appreciated, thanks very much.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I haven't cycled it but last year did part of the Camino del Norte starting from Luarca. We took a bus from Santander and it looked perfect for cycling with lots of beautiful coastal scenery. The main road was busy in places. You certainly couldn't follow all of the actual posted Camino trail on a road bike but there are some fairly long stretches on quiet roads especially in Galicia. In general, the Camino del Norte seems either to follow or parallel roads and we encountered several cyclists doing a version of the Camino del Norte on road bikes. So, I'd think that it's certainly do-able but there will likely be segments on fairly busy roads too which the Camino for walkers avoids.

Here are some interesting links, including to cycling the Camino (I found these because I've also been thinking of cycling it)

http://www.caminolinks.co.uk/4733.html

and here is a yahoo group

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Santiago_Bicicleta/

and this

http://www.routeyou.com/route/search/bi ... type=bike-

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I just decided to bike the Camino del Norte and am doing research and planning now. I have biked the Camino Frances three times, so I feel somewhat confident about the general challenge.

I have time in September to do this and need to make arrangements soon. I would appreciate any insights anyone has on a reasonable itinerary for someone starting from Irun. I'll be on a hybrid bike and averaged 75 kms per day of some trail and some road while on the Camino Frances.

Thanks,

Paul

Hi pistutler and other cyclists!
I have only walked part of the Norte - Santander to Villaviciosa but that section is easy for cyclists. The Camino winds on on off the coast road and goes past the Albergues. The CSJ guide gives instructions for cyclists and is probably more relevant for you than for walkers. It is out of date and needs a re-write but for cyclists the roads are much the same. I would suggest getting a copy if you do not have one already. http://www.csj.org.uk
Ride well and safely!
Tio Tel

lawrencekellyuk said:
Has anybody cycled the Camino del Norte? I'll explain my scenario: 4 of us are going to attempt a camino in September, 3 of us have purely road bikes, and one a hybrid, so although we could perhaps take short bursts of very mild off road, and even walk if necessary, really we want to be doing as much road stuff as possible. Having read a little bit about del Norte route it seems like it could be a really interesting route, plus a little shorter than the main Camino Frances, which is good as we're not sure about the amount of time we'll get off work (could be anywhere between 10 and 18 days). Finally, having read a few blogs it seems that spending any large amount of time on waling trails may not be appreciated too much by the walkers themselves.

Anyway, any tips anybody could share would be appreciated, thanks very much.

Welcome, fellow cyclist.

I am planning to cycle it as well, this September - leaving Madrid to Bilbao around September 15 or 16. Don't have a lot of personal advice, as this will be my first time. However, a Spanish friend of mine, who has done the Camino about 4 or 5 times, including cycling, confirmed that "it is all good" and doable... ;-)

Additionally, I stumbled upon a cycling route of http://www.freewheeling.ca/tours/northspain.htm, which is a guided cycling trip... yet has a few tips and ideas I am planning to borrow. So, safe cycles, and perhaps we shall meet...

Simon

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms

Most read last week in this forum

Hi, ive been training for my CDN in two weeks time and thought i'd get some UK coastline under my belt (Scarborough to Robin hoods Bay). I have to say i was just not prepared for the amount for...
hello We plan to walk from Irún to San Sebastián first day in Mid May and looking for feedback on how long it takes. Think we are up to it but will be our first day. Thanks for your thoughts and...
Please, am I mad to contemplate the following combo: Norte: Biarritz-Bayonne-Irun-Santander (via Bayonne to get my legs going) Santander - train to Leon San Salvador - Leon to Oviedo Primitivo -...
I walked the Camino Francés in Octobee 2022, from Villafranca del Bierzo to Santiago de Compostela, and loved it. I would like to walk the Camino del Norte as I'm drawn to the coast, culture and...
What is the most beautiful seven day section on the Camino del Norte? I have a good friend who cannot come with me for the entire walk. She is only available for a week. I start from Irun. She...
Hello everyone. I know that pre-booking accommodation has been discussed many, many times, so apologies but I wanted to be quite specific. We are walking from Irún to Bilbao in the first week of...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.