• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Cycling the Camino France's across December/jan

Jeffarenas

Hi all I'm wondering what people experiences have been like doing the camino France's during December/January and whether it is even possible. The research I've done so far has been a less informative than I'd hoped so thought the best way to find out would be to ask.

Is it possible to cycle the camino during the winter months?

Feedbalc is greatly appreciated!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Jeffarenas said:
Hi all I'm wondering what people experiences have been like doing the camino France's during December/January and whether it is even possible. The research I've done so far has been a less informative than I'd hoped so thought the best way to find out would be to ask.

Is it possible to cycle the camino during the winter months?

Feedbalc is greatly appreciated!

Hi Jeffarenas,

Welcome to the Forum!

For information and tips regarding biking the Camino in all seasons be sure to check out this Forum topic
biking-the-camino/

The Bike-Lne Service especially for cyclists on the Camino Frances lists those albergues which ARE definitely cyclist friendly. See >> http://bike-line.blogspot.com.es/ As you scan down the right hand column of the home page you will see PASAPORTE BIKELINE mentioned above a photo of a red guide book. Click on the photo and you will open the list. However, not all albergues will be open but the hospitaleros usually know who is on the next stage. You will find the welcome at those albergues which are open to be most sincere; generally they will either be heated or have blankets.

One NEVER knows what the weather might be! The best advice is to BE PREPARED for extremes.
In bad weather many steep descents on the camino would be treacherous and following smaller parallel roads might be necessary. This past winter/early spring the Napoleon route from SJPdP to Roncevalles was filled with several meters of snow and in effect closed to pilgrims thus necessitating the use of the Valcarlos alternate. You can read about this situation in the Forum topic. >> el-camino-frances/topic16961.html Other difficult stretches after future storms might be from Najera to Santo Domingo de la Calzada or across the Montes de Oca from Villafranca as well as Monte Irago and, of course, O Cebriero.

Sillydoll who is a Forum member has compiled encyclopedic information on Winter Walking at >> http://amawalker.blogspot.fr/2009/10/walking-in-winter.html Another good account of winter walking by a Forum member is the current 2013 blog http://agoodwalkunspoiled.blogspot.com/. Although you are planning to cycle these accounts offer most helpful tips for ALL pilgrims regarding winter conditions.

Twice walking during winter caminos I have sat out true blizzards; in Villafranca Montes de Oca, February 25, 26, 2006 and FoncebadĂłn, March 5,6, 2009. Even late last November the climb up to O Cebriero was packed with snow. You can see the snow and read my blog accounts of these three memorable stormstorms at >> http://mermore.blogspot.fr/2011/04/aavmo.html. Luckily open albergues offered welcoming shelter, heat and companionship.

Hope this info is helpful!

Buen Camino,

Margaret Meredith

Thank you for this write-up Margaret. Very helpful information!

Regards,
Kat

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I cycled the French route in the fall of last year. I began in mid September when I landed on the north coast of France in Dieppe. Most of Normandie was overcast. By the time I reached Chartres it was straight rain. Jumped a train to get out of the rain to Bordeaux. Still raining hard. Hit the coast in Arcachon. Crazy gusty wind all the way to Bayonne with occasional rain making it really awful.
Crossed the Pyrenees from San Jean and the weather improved some. The weather was cool and mostly sunny with some sprinkles all the way to Leon where I left my bike and walked the rest.
I arrived in Santiago around the first week in November and it became very wet and started getting cold.
By the time I arrived back in Leon around the 2nd week of November to retrieve my bicycle it was really cold.
I had planned on riding south from Astorga to Seville but the weather really deteriorated. Made it as far as Salamanca.
I quit riding as it was just cold and dreary. Perhaps it was an unusual fall for that part of Europe but I don't think so.
Maybe you are young and don't mind cycling in crappy, cold weather. It snows and gets very cold in northern Spain. If you are tough and are well prepared, then go for it. But if not, better to wait for better weather or walk. You can always jump a bus or train if you are walking and the weather gets really bad. Public transportation and bicycles do not mix well in Spain. I don't know why but it's not like the rest of Europe. Bus drivers are grumpy about it and bikes are mostly forbidden on trains.
Ironic since Seville is listed as one of the top cycling cities in the world.
I would save the cycling for some place warm but that's me. I commute on a bike year round and I live in the mountains of Colorado but a long tour on a bike in winter is a very different story.
Good luck and keep us posted.
Robin

Most read last week in this forum

I Willl start biking from SJPD on 9.may with Ebike. I have a list of bike friendly albergs is there somebody who have experience with charging batery in such alberg. Do i need afdition 220v...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back