• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Cycling the Camino on Paved roads

jjameson

I am planning to cycle the Camino Frances from St Jean Pied de Port in October. I will be using my touring bike. Is it possible to do the journey on paved roads? Reading the forums the trails seem unsuited for a touring bike.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
The trails are not really for a road bike. Maybe a cyclocross bike if you like to take a beating. They are fine with a mountain bike of any type. There are paved alternatives parts of which are quite busy, parts of which are quite nice.

The road option is an entirely different experience than being on the trails, plus you miss one of the best long mountain bike trips in the world.

Thank you. I wonder if any of the readers actually done the pilgrimage via paved roads - would appreciate coments on this.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
There is a guidebook just for the paved alternatives--

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Way-James-Cycli ... 1852844418

It maps a route from LePuy to Santiago Here's his description from the introduction:
"In France they tend to be quiet country lanes. Drivers...give you a wide berth and cheery wave as they pass....In Spain there are few country lanes...Drivers do not give cyclists much room and heavy lorries often streak down these roads with their near side wheel straddling the hard shoulder."

No trucks on the trail:

Attachments

• meseta.JPG
    meseta.JPG
    99.2 KB · Views: 1,895
Cycled from Pamplona to Santiago in late may with wife and 20 year old kids. Wife 58 and i'm61. Rode hybrid bikes. Took mainly roads and some trails. Big mistake, took trail on first day up to alto de person. Thought I would take the bus for the rest of the trip. Took paved road down off the alto and road paved most of rest of the way. Walked bike about 150 miles of the 500. Arduous trip but had a blast. Probably don't have to tell you but I will anyway, Pack Light! The down hill rides are well worth the hard climbs. Have fun and enjoy the views!

Hi
I cycled from Le Puy to Finisterre in June on my Cyclocross. All the way on paved roads. I followed the book "The Way of St James, A cyclists' guide" by John Higginson. I got it from amazon.co.uk. It describes the cycle path apart from the waking path. I did 1.625 km in 20 days (a bit quicker then the guidebook reccomends, but that is individual).
I had to change the gearing on the bike from 11-25 to 12-32 on the casette, and the arm from Shimano Tiagra to Shimano XT to get lower gearing. It IS hilly! So I reccomend doing this, remember the bags tends to be quit heavy...or at least feels like going up all those hills.
Anyway, the BEST biking trip of my life! Go for it!!!

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
dariosilva said:
Big mistake, took trail on first day up to alto de person. Thought I would take the bus for the rest of the trip. Took paved road down off the alto and road paved most of rest of the way. Walked bike about 150 miles of the 500.

A real mountain bike is a big help. The entire route can be done with very little walking (none on the Alto de Perdon) a couple approaching 60. The Frances is a fine route for a beginning moutain biker. I can't say that about many other routes.

Many sections indeed are suitable for most bikes - in some areas all bikes. One time I cycled the camino was with a friend who took a Dawes Galaxy tourer - he mixed road and trail ad hoc without problem and thrived. On my, pre-suspension, mountain bike with panniers the walking route was fine. Another time with my wife we again mixed road and trail and added many ex cursis days visiting places without problems. Just check maps and avoid major roads and the plague that is traffic. The arcen, hard-shoulder, alongside major roads is often strewn with stones, glass and sundry flotsam wherein lies the puncture fairy waiting to bite the tyre of all that trespass onto her prickly domain.
Personally, I hold that nothing is lost instead a differing experience is gained by eschewing the beaten path of the multitudes in making one's own way along the route so I do not fret overly at stepping aside from the mandated route and finding quite and solitude just away from the path.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Six of us plan to do this trip in June from the 3rd to 20th. We all have touring bikes and it seems like we need to get the book from the Amazon.
Thanks for all the tips and JJameson for posting the question.

We rode the Camino Frances from SJPP in fall 2012. Hybrid bikes with suspension shocks and size 38 tires. We were about 50/50 path and road. We were no less pilgrims than the walkers on the path, and in fact, because we went at a leisurely pace taking every 4th day off, we were with many of the same walkers every few days as the caught up to us. Found a few nice country lanes to avoid the high traffic highways. We used the Higginbottom book but also relied on a Michelin Camino de Santiago guide that we could only find in German, but it proved to be quite useful for finding the alternate roads.
It is hilly. Our group of 4, all in our 50's and 60's, had different cycling ability and so we probably walked our bikes more than most. By all means, pack light. I only weight 106 lbs, so try to keep my load at less than 25 lbs, including the weight of panniers. We became stronger riders and smarter about choosing our path as each day passed. Don't be afraid to find your own way!
We are riding Camino Frances again...departing either Pamplona or Roncesvalles on Sept 1. We will have 30 days and intend to go to Finisterre.
Buen Camino!

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
On a hybrid bikes the mountains will be difficult (if not impossible) off the road and for much of the way the quiet country roads are faster to cycle than the close-by path. One path worth following (unless someone knows of a road alternative) is out of Logrono, we found ourselves on a multi-lane dual carriage way which was no fun at all and probably illegal.

There are other sections such as across the meseta where the paths are relatively flat and the road alternatives more circuitous.

Just completed the ride Pamplona to Finisterra this week. Just awesome. I would say I rode 25% on walkers route and only when it was wide enough to not bother the walkers. Must of it is dirt or gravel farm roads and really good cycling. I ride a 20" tire folding Bike Friday Pocket LLama and had no trouble in fact enjoyed the 'off road' bits a lot. The 75% roads were excellent and I tried to stay with the country lanes etc. whenever possible but even the highway had very good cycling shoulders and very considerate drivers. I would caution following Higginson's book too closely because in his avoidance of any 'off road' misses some great cycling on the walkers route. An ok overview but a little out of date. I used the Michelin Camino map book which I would recommend highly. I had some very head windy days early on and cold temperatures two degrees some mornings (in May!). I had to purchase full gloves in Leon.
Some notes and photos:
www.bikeguy32@blogspot.ca

Most read last week in this forum

I Willl start biking from SJPD on 9.may with Ebike. I have a list of bike friendly albergs is there somebody who have experience with charging batery in such alberg. Do i need afdition 220v...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back