• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Cycling the Camino with Children

Ciaran Kissane

Time of past OR future Camino
Lisbon to Santiago
Hi

I am planing a cycling trip on the route from Lisbon in August. There will be five of us, two adults and three children 9,8 and 6,. Our current plan is to the the stages between azambuja and golega - and the stages between Ponte Di lima and Santiago.

Are these routes ok for mountain bikes and for children

Any advice on pre booking accomodation

Any advice at all - this is our first trip on the camino

We plan to fill in the gaps by train

Thanks

Ciaran

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Hi

I am planing a cycling trip on the route from Lisbon in August. There will be five of us, two adults and three children 9,8 and 6,. Our current plan is to the the stages between azambuja and golega - and the stages between Ponte Di lima and Santiago.

Thanks

Ciaran

Hello Ciaran, and welcome to the forum-

The only problem that I’m seeing about taking your children with you it’s the heat. August can be very harsh in Portugal, and you can find temperatures of 35ºC or plus. So bear that in mind please.

The worst stage that you will probably have difficulties, it’s after Ponte de Lima. You’ll have to search this forum well, because there are two ways out of the town: one for pilgrims and cyclists, and other only for cyclists. The one which is communal for both, you have to go up a mountain with the bike on your back. It’s a near 500m ascent, with a huge inclination degree. If it’s hard for us who do it walking, I can’t imagine for the people who do it with their bikes on their back!

About the accommodation, it will depend where will you stay (cities), and if you don’t mind to sleep in Albergues. The Portuguese Caminho it’s the second most walked Caminho, and you will find a lot of people in August doing it, especially after Valença do Minho/Tui, the last 115/120km from Santiago.

If you can post your plan (km per day, where are you going to stop, etc, etc), that would be great for us to help you.

Best Regards
Diogo

Hello Ciaran Greetings from Jerusalem!
You are going to love Portugal, the Portuguese people (the warmest and most welcomoing in all Europe), and Potruguese food and wine (try it all!)! Your plan sounds good - the stretch between Azambuja and Golega is largely rural and easily pedaled. Tomar is a lovely lovely town and do go visit the Convent of the Order on Christ on the hill above there, even the kids will like it there! From Tomar you are also an easy ride off route to Fátima- don't even consider to ride over on the 13th of the month when the roads will be packed with buses cars walkers and yes some cyclists-its a day of pilgrimage. Now for the bad news, with apologies to Diogo who has already heard this. The roads in Portugal have little shoulder and often no more then a "V" shaped rain culvert not something I would want my kids to ride alsngside-secondly, the drivers in Portugal are among the very worst in all Europe. Rules of the road are at best a reccomendation and they seem easily distracted when behind the wheel. My recommendation-at all times-always- wear reflective vests when riding, lead rider should have some sort of flag plus a whistle at the vanguard, whoever brings up the the rear, an even larger flag or something reflective, flopping in the breeze, attracting attention plus a light for early/late hours and cloudy weather. Don't miss Coimbra a lovely university town! Consider a mnother morning off-route to Bom Jesus(!) is located on a hill just outside of Braga a short bus ride from Barcelos on the Camino - do try and go there too. Bom Caminho! and remember the m's in Coimbra and in both Bom phrases are not pronounced! Good luck understanding spoken Portuguese-sounds like Russian spoken with a Hispanic accent-you can usually read the important bits due to simularities to other "Romance" languages, any Latin you may remember, and a bit of intuition! Road markings are also in two languages so you will be fine there. Bom Caminho!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
* The Family Adventure Project.
One of the blogs is about a family who did the Camino on tandem bikes with trailers.
pedallingpilgrims.blogspot.com/2008/08/set-in-stone.html

* After a week’s training and a fitness test during the Easter holiday in April 2005, eight-year-old Camille started her pilgrimage to Compostela by walking the 65 km from Puy en Velay to Saint Roch. terragalice.blog4ever. com/blog/lirarticle-45469-167723.html

* Pint-sized pilgrims on the Camino. www.soultravelers3.com/

* This Kiwi Family walked with 8 children, ranging between 6 and 16.
http://blogs.bootsnall.com/kiwifamily/

* www.girlsontheway.com 10 and 8 year-old sisters blog about their Camino

* http://caminowithkids.wordpress.com/ - 3 adults and 3 kids

Hi

Thanks

Ciaran
Hi We are planning to cycle the route Frances inJuly/ August 2015 starting inPontefrada, pausing in Santiago then continueing to finisterre. Our kids are 13, 11, 8 and 6. this will be our first camino too. Maybe we will bump into you guys. From the Gilldaleys

Hi

Thanks

Ciaran
My wife and I walked the route from Lisbon to Santiago and specially the narrow road from Santarèm to Golegâ is busy with fast driving traffic while you will cycle on the hardshoulder.
Further on in Spain you will face very steep hills downwards .

I would advice not to do this with young children.

But this is my opinion. Las spring I drove with my car from Santiago to Portugal and there visited except for the southern part almost the entire country and now and then this was quite a challenge. !

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.

Most read last week in this forum

Do I need to bring my own pillow & pillow case for albergues?
My friend is currently on the Camino Portuguese - a route that he has walked before and has now seen a number of markings as below. What does the Red Cross out signify?
Bom dia dear pilgrims, I plan on returning to Portugal this summer, after walking the Salvador + Primitivo. I have a few questions: - What is the easiest way to get from SdC to Coimbra? I assume...
Hi I start to walk the Central on April 24th from Porto and need to send a suitcase to IVAR in Santiago for storage. Has anyone done this and if so did you use DHL or another courier company and...
Arriving in Valença around noon and I need to get to my hostel in Tui. I would like to conserve my energy and time, so can I take a taxi from Valença Bus station to take me to my hostel in Tui...
Hi, Has anyone stayed in Armenteira recently? I’ve contacted Victor the Taxi to try and reserve a bunk at the Slbuergue de peregrinos. He told me to contact “ Albergue de San Ero de Armenteira”...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back