Search 30 000 Camino Questions right here... your question might have been asked before
Camino Guides (for sale) | Camino Guides made by pilgrims
By Signing up to the forum (free) you will be able to:

-- Ask any Camino related question you might have
-- Participate in the camino conversation on this forum
-- Get an weekly e-mail (Saturdays) with the most popular topics from the last 7 days
-- Be able to download pdf's and other Camino Resources
Sign

Weekly forum email Daily forum email Luggage Storage in Santiago de Compostela
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Using iphone or iPad? Add forum icon to your home screen. Here is how to do it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Over 10 years of Camino Q&As in one place. Sign Up and plan your camino with us. It's free!
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Have a question you would like to ask? Here is how you do it!

Cycling the Camino

Discussion in 'Biking the Camino' started by Michelle Wilcox, Apr 21, 2017 at 3:56 PM.

1. Michelle Wilcox

Michelle Wilcox New Member

Camino(s) past & future:
    Camino 2017
    My husband & I are hoping to cycle a section of the Camino de Santiago in June or July. We live in South Africa.
    We would appreciate suggestions on bicycle hire companies & which section of the route to do.
    We are looking at 7-10 days - cycling 40kms per day

2. TrentonSz

TrentonSz New Member

Camino(s) past & future:
    Planifico completar el Camino Frances via Bici - verano de 2017
    Hello Mrs. Wilcox and Husband,

I too plan on cycling the Camino (Frances-in its entirety) in July; however, I have opted to bring my own cyclocross bike. I had considered taking a Tern or Dahon folding bike , but figured my cyclocross bike has the most versatility. I can also use it during other segments of my trip to Spain and Portugal.

It appears most people use a mountain bike. Although there is some rough road, most appears to be rather smooth gravel and, for this reason, I think my titanium Motobecane Phantom cyclo bike will handle the route well enough with 40c tires and be more efficient.

There are lots of YouTube videos about cycling the Camino. One bike rental company, Camino Ways, has posted a few videos. Here is a link to one about how it works:

I hope this helps and I hope to see you guys there!

3. Patricia Stockton

Patricia Stockton New Member

Camino(s) past & future:
    Ride from Leon to Santiago
    I am cycling the Camino right now from Leon to SantiGo and I cannot recommend a mountain bike highly enough, there is loads of rubble and gravel and you need very thick wide tyres.

4. Patricia Stockton

Patricia Stockton New Member

Camino(s) past & future:
    Ride from Leon to Santiago
    I am currently cycling the Camino will be in Santiago tomorrow and I cannot recommend a mountain bike highly enough, the tracks that we are on have loads of gravel and rubble as well as rocks, there are little streams big boulders etc, there is no way I would do it on anything but a mountain bike. We started in Leon so got our bikes from Leon Bike hire, they were great, don't speak a lot of English but Google translator did the job. Please please take a mountain bike