• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Cycling the Camino

Michelle Wilcox

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino 2017
My husband & I are hoping to cycle a section of the Camino de Santiago in June or July. We live in South Africa.
We would appreciate suggestions on bicycle hire companies & which section of the route to do.
We are looking at 7-10 days - cycling 40kms per day

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Hello Mrs. Wilcox and Husband,

I too plan on cycling the Camino (Frances-in its entirety) in July; however, I have opted to bring my own cyclocross bike. I had considered taking a Tern or Dahon folding bike , but figured my cyclocross bike has the most versatility. I can also use it during other segments of my trip to Spain and Portugal.

It appears most people use a mountain bike. Although there is some rough road, most appears to be rather smooth gravel and, for this reason, I think my titanium Motobecane Phantom cyclo bike will handle the route well enough with 40c tires and be more efficient.

There are lots of YouTube videos about cycling the Camino. One bike rental company, Camino Ways, has posted a few videos. Here is a link to one about how it works:

I hope this helps and I hope to see you guys there!

I too plan on cycling the Camino (Frances-in its entirety) in July; however, I have opted to bring my own cyclocross bike. I had considered taking a Tern or Dahon folding bike , but figured my cyclocross bike has the most versatility. I can also use it during other segments of my trip to Spain and Portugal.

It appears most people use a mountain bike. Although there is some rough road, most appears to be rather smooth gravel and, for this reason, I think my titanium Motobecane Phantom cyclo bike will handle the route well enough with 40c tires and be more efficient.

There are lots of YouTube videos about cycling the Camino. One bike rental company, Camino Ways, has posted a few videos. Here is a link to one about how it works:

I am cycling the Camino right now from Leon to SantiGo and I cannot recommend a mountain bike highly enough, there is loads of rubble and gravel and you need very thick wide tyres.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I am currently cycling the Camino will be in Santiago tomorrow and I cannot recommend a mountain bike highly enough, the tracks that we are on have loads of gravel and rubble as well as rocks, there are little streams big boulders etc, there is no way I would do it on anything but a mountain bike. We started in Leon so got our bikes from Leon Bike hire, they were great, don't speak a lot of English but Google translator did the job. Please please take a mountain bike

Hi Michelle, I will be cycling from Pamplona in September. I looked at bicigrino and Cycling Rentals for hiring a bike. They both do 'Camino Packs of bike, racks, panniers etc and deliver to your starting hotel and either pick up from the end hotel or you deliver to the office. As these bikes are hired out specifically for the Camino I'm expecting them to be suitable lol
There are other companies as well but I narrowed it down to these two.
I hope this helps
Cheers

Hi Michelle.
How was your camino trip? Would love to make contact if you are by any chance from Cape Town. My wife (non-cyclist) and i am planning a 14 night cycling camino, but not too sure where to start.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Hi Michelle.
How was your camino trip? Would love to make contact if you are by any chance from Cape Town. My wife (non-cyclist) and i am planning a 14 night cycling camino, but not too sure where to start.
Hi Eben
We are living in the UK no but are happy to correspond with you by PM if you like:
Our trip was fantastic - see our Facebook page: "Tour de Pintxos - Cycling el Camino del Norte" for stage by stage reports.
We started in San Sabastien and ended our trip in Santillana del Mar averaging 40+km per day.
I only started cycling a few months before we set out but did a lot of Wattbike sessions & kettlebell workouts in order to get as fit as possible prior to our departure.
I would highly recommend it & we are planning to go back next year and complete the the remaining distance to Santiago.
You will not regret doing this adventure!

My husband & I are hoping to cycle a section of the Camino de Santiago in June or July. We live in South Africa.
We would appreciate suggestions on bicycle hire companies & which section of the route to do.
We are looking at 7-10 days - cycling 40kms per day
Hi E

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Eben
We are living in the UK no but are happy to correspond with you by email if you like: michelle@thefactorypilot.com
Our trip was fantastic - see our Facebook page: "Tour de Pintxos - Cycling el Camino del Norte" for stage by stage reports.
We started in San Sabastien and ended our trip in Santillana del Mar averaging 40+km per day.
I only started cycling a few months before we set out but did a lot of Wattbike sessions & kettlebell workouts in order to get as fit as possible prior to our departure.
I would highly recommend it & we are planning to go back next year and complete the the remaining distance to Santiago.
You will not regret doing this adventure!

Hi E
Hi Michelle.
Your pics are great and I really enjoyed browsing your facebook page. Just one question. Your pannier bags look quite large. Was it fully packed? Could you easily manage to push the bike at times?

Hi Michelle.
Your pics are great and I really enjoyed browsing your facebook page. Just one question. Your pannier bags look quite large. Was it fully packed? Could you easily manage to push the bike at times?
I would say our pannier bags were packed 1/2 full - they were the size supplied by our bike hire company. I found the bike relatively easy to push but some hills were a great effort - thankfully my kind husband would help me when necessary :)

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Hi Michelle.
Hi EbenI'd love to hear from fellow South Africans who have cycled the camino. We start in 2 weeks time from Burgos. Still battling to find a form of navigation (other than guide books which are useless while youre cycling) that show the footpath and where to deviate onto road for the rough bits. Any suggestions?

Most read last week in this forum

I have walked several caminos since 2013 and am hoping to experience the Primitivo in September. Recently I have developed a nasty intermittent pain in the ball of my feet, especially the left...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back