• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Cycling the camino

digitalgerry

Time of past OR future Camino
2024 - by bike
I'm considering doing this next year over 7-10 days. I live in France, I havnlt decided to rent to bring my road bike, but wul like advise on routes less taxing (as in overly hilly) but expect some.

Any adice or signposting to guides would be appreciated

Thanks all in advance
Gerry

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Hi Gerry, we are cycling the CF in September. My first piece of advice, if you do rent a bike instead of bringing your own, is to reserve your bike well in advance of your anticipated Camino dates. We had to compromise on bike type even six months out. My preference was to ride the CF on a mountain bike which is what I used on the VDLP. The mountain bike was perfect since it allowed me to ride the trails as well as some road riding. For our upcoming Camino, we’re riding hybrid touring bikes as Cycling-Rentals did not have any mountain bikes available. Not anticipating any problems with this bike choice.

The signage on the CF is quite good. Being on roads off the Camino can be a bit trickier. Again, for this upcoming Camino, we will be relying on the Mapy.cz app for directions when we are on roads that are significantly off the Camino. If you open this app to any section of the CF, you’ll see both the Camino in blue as well as recommended bike routes in pink. The maps of Spain can be downloaded by region and easily used as you ride. Mapy.cz has also been very helpful when navigating through cities on a bike when camino signage might be a little less visible to the cyclist. Buen Camino!

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Thank you. I’d be interested to hearing your feedback and lessons.
In all fairness, Gerry you're not giving us much to work with!

7-10 days. From where? There are a number of routes. The Via de La Plata is popular with lots of people on bikes.
What kind of daily distance are you thinking?
What kind of a cyclist are you? What kind of surfaces - road, gravel or trail?
Carrying your own gear?

My advice, having cycled from NL to Santiago and back is to decide if you want the pilgrimage experience or the bike tour experience. In my book, they are completely different.
If you want the "Pilgrimage experience" then I'd reckon 7-10 days is too short. I took, I think 15 days (SJPP - Santiago) and if I was to do it again I'd go slower! But that may just be me.

Have a play with https://cycle.travel/ - a great planner, especially for long distance routes.
Head on over to CGOAB https://www.crazyguyonabike.com/doc/locales/?locale_id=198&doctype=journal and read the journals of others.

And Spain is hilly! There's no getting away from that!

@Flatlander Thank you for these questions. I wasn’t being obtuse, I’m new to the Camino and wasn’t sure which would be a good route.

I live off the Route de Puy in France so my entry point to Spain is very open. I am also probably riding with another guy and I’ve done 70-90km routes before-on good roads. But I am thinking 40-60 (max) a day. So that’s why the 10 days approx from Pamplona. That isn’t fixed and it could be further along but must do the 200km as a minimum.

Also I am planning probably in April next year rather than this year as i run a b&b in France.

So all advice appreciated.

@Flatlander Thank you for these questions. I wasn’t being obtuse, I’m new to the Camino and wasn’t sure which would be a good route.

I live off the Route de Puy in France so my entry point to Spain is very open. I am also probably riding with another guy and I’ve done 70-90km routes before-on good roads. But I am thinking 40-60 (max) a day. So that’s why the 10 days approx from Pamplona. That isn’t fixed and it could be further along but must do the 200km as a minimum.

Also I am planning probably in April next year rather than this year as i run a b&b in France.

So all advice appreciated.
How did your trip on bike go? What company did you use to rent your bike/s?

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-

Most read last week in this forum

I Willl start biking from SJPD on 9.may with Ebike. I have a list of bike friendly albergs is there somebody who have experience with charging batery in such alberg. Do i need afdition 220v...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back