• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Cycling the coastal route (Sintra-Santiago)

James Long

Hi all, Looking for anyone who will be cycling the coastal route in October? My son and I are leaving Sintra on Oct. 12 using the coastal route to Porto and then on to Santiago. We are using Cycling Rentals which we used on the Camino Frances and were very pleased with. Look forward to getting together with anyone else that may be traveling that way. Bom Camino Amigos...

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Hi there. I hope you had a good cycle. I am looking for a used bike with rear racks to cycle the Camino from Lisbon to Santiago or vice versa - depending on which direction the prevailing winds blow. If possible I would like to buy, rent cheaply or borrow an electric bike. I am in my late 50's and looking for all the help I can get including tips on how to avoid hills, yummiest food and wine, where to do laundry, how to optimize having the wind at my back, gear tips, cheap clean charming places to stay, etc. Will be arriving in Lisbon April 21, 2019 and could pick up bike wherever needed but would be a bonus if in Lisbon. Thanks in advance for any tips you have to offer or leads on where to find a bike.

A good electric bicycle costs around $3000. The corresponding rent should be 30-50€ per day.
a) Bring your own bike by plane. The electric support an US bike is limited to 32km/h (20mi), not only 25km/h.
b) You can buy a cheap bicycle in Decathlon(.pt/.es). If it breaks, go to another Decathlon store and complain. If it is still OK in Santiago give it to a student in Santiago or someone else who can use it.
Expect to charge the battery of Decathlon bikes 2 or 3 times a day!
c) Use Google! First link for Lisbon: https://www.lisbonbikerentals.com

On the Caminho you will not pass an altitude of 500m. Keep along rivers, old train lines and the Sea to avoid hills. Wind might be a problem on the coast, but you have to die one death.

Food is inexpensive and usually with a beverage included. Choose your own. Eat where the locals are.

There are still public open air washing places in Portugal, but it is easier to use the service of a washing machine in albergues and hostels. For the ~600km even slow cyclists with only 3-4hours/day pushing need less than two weeks. So what are you worrying about?

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Back