• For 2024 Pilgrims: ā‚¬50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • āš ļø Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Cycling the Espiritual Questions

Piparoo

Time of past OR future Camino
Primitivo June 2020
My family and I will be visiting Portugal and Spain in May and would like to do the Variante Espiritual on bike if possible. We have a limited amount of time and our seven year old daughter joining us on the journey so we think cycling may be the best option. A few questions spring to mind that Iā€™m hoping the more experienced pilgrims here may be able to help with.

1. Is it appropriate to cycle the espiritual (i.e. are the paths smooth enough for bike tires)?
2. Can bikes be taken on the boat from Vilanova de Arousa to Padron?
3. Are e-bikes permitted for the Compostela credential? If we cycle, we plan to start in Esposende on the Coastal Camino to ensure that we have cycled the minimum 200km. We would not normally consider e-bikes but are concerned about our seven year oldā€™s stamina and focus when cycling for 5 plus hours a day and think an e-bike may give her the best opportunity to be successful.
4. If we give up and need to jump on a train, is it pretty easy to transport bikes on the train?
5. We plan to stay in paradors and private rooms when possible, will bike parking will be difficult?

Thanks in advance for help with any of these questions and for sharing any of your experience that may be helpful.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
A few answers for a few of your questions:
1. Bikes usually follow a different route than the walking path of a Camino. The Variant does follow a lot of roadways, though, so youā€™d be basically next tot he walking path but Iā€™m not sure you want your 7yo sharing the road with Portuguese drivers (trust me, they are definitely some of the worst!). Plus youā€™d miss the absolute best part of the route: the ā€œPath of Stone and Waterā€ which follows next to a stream.
2. The boat MAY be able to take bikes, but you wonā€™t know until that day since they have several different boats depending upon how many passengers are going and the tide schedule. Generally, they take either a small or medium boat, neither of which would not be able to fit your bikes.
3. Any motorized vehicle (including eBikes) disqualify you from a Compostela.
4. No idea about trains.
5. Paradors are generally larger luxury hotels and will have room for bikes, but albergues will be completely hit or miss.

but Iā€™m not sure you want your 7yo sharing the road with Portuguese drivers

No wish to slander Portuguese or Spanish drivers but isn't the Espiritual in Spain?

As an aside, I had no problem with drivers but I did have some moments with walkers when (very rarely) sharing the walking route. As it would be at home, walkers have the priority over the space so you have to be very aware of their random movements.

Here is an example of the route for cyclists. Solid areas are on-road. Hatched areas are off-road. Note the climb at about 50 miles.

Last edited:
A selection of Camino Jewellery
My family is Portuguese, so I feel like I can slander the Portuguese drivers without recourseā€¦. And if you have walked or driven in Portugal, DEAR GOD they are truly the worst!!!!!!

But yes, the Variant is in Spain. My assumption was that the OP was starting in Porto. My apologies to geographers (but not the awesomely bad Portuguese motorists!!!!!!!šŸ˜Ž)

Thanks for all of the helpful info. I didnā€˜t realize that the cycling path diverged from the walking path. I assumed the pilgrimā€™s path was the same, whether on foot, bike or cycle. The bike rental place implied as much when they strongly encouraged us to rent mountain bikes because of the path. Can you send a link to confirm that e-bikes do not qualify for the Compostela? What Iā€˜ve read here and elsewhere seems to suggest that if the bike has pedals (even if it has an electric motor) it is acceptable for the Compostela.

A few answers for a few of your questions:
1. Bikes usually follow a different route than the walking path of a Camino. The Variant does follow a lot of roadways, though, so youā€™d be basically next tot he walking path but Iā€™m not sure you want your 7yo sharing the road with Portuguese drivers (trust me, they are definitely some of the worst!). Plus youā€™d miss the absolute best part of the route: the ā€œPath of Stone and Waterā€ which follows next to a stream.
2. The boat MAY be able to take bikes, but you wonā€™t know until that day since they have several different boats depending upon how many passengers are going and the tide schedule. Generally, they take either a small or medium boat, neither of which would not be able to fit your bikes.
3. Any motorized vehicle (including eBikes) disqualify you from a Compostela.
4. No idea about trains.
5. Paradors are generally larger luxury hotels and will have room for bikes, but albergues will be completely hit or miss.
When there is no boat or only the small rubberboat for 8 passengers you could follow the road along the river from Vilanova de Arousa via Catoira to Pontecessures and PadrĆ³n .
we walked there during one of our caminhos and later went on holiday in the area (Sanxenxo) and among others drove from there to Armenteira where is a beautifull place to play golf, what we did. Beautiful landscape.

mind the steep hill from Cambados to Armenteira . From Armenteira to Barrantes and on to Vila Novas de Arousa you can follow the mainroad .Unfortunately as mentioned above you will miss the path of stones and water (Caminho de Pedras e de Augas) that is a pity but it is impossible to bike there .

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Check our previous posts for discussions on e-bikes qualifying for a compostela - I donā€™t want this discussion to devolve into that completed discussion. No one at the Pilgrimā€™s Office will physically verify that your bike is manual, assisted, or full electrical; if you want the compostela and believe you journeyed in the spirit of the Camino, you can receive one.

Note that doing the spiritual variant on a bike will not qualify you for one, though, as you must complete 200km when going by bike. You will have to start in Portugal to make that distance (hence my warning about the drivers there!)

YouTube has videos posted by pilgrims showing their biking and walking Caminos - take a look at a few to see the difference between the routes in those modes. While the paths do run next to each other very often on the Portuguese, they are VERY different in feel.

Here are a few observationsā€”though I only have knowledge of the walking route north of Porto. For comparisonā€™s sake, Iā€™m a relatively fit hiker who regularly walks 8-16 miles/day with 2-3,000ā€™ vertical in Northern California.

All to say, please do your research and decide for yourself based on your own abilities. There are many published sources (books and online) with contour maps/diagrams for each stage.

Here goes:

1. The VE has steeper terrain than does most of the Caminho PortuguĆŖs. Itā€™s also some of the loveliest mileage on the Way, IMO.

2. The section between O Freixo and Combarro goes through eucalyptus forest on narrow tracks and rolling terrain, perhaps suitable for mountain bikes. Could be quite muddy if it has rained recently. Not sure how to gauge the difficulty for a 7-yo.

3. There isnā€™t a big network of paved roads in the area, due to topography and the rural nature of the region. Recommend you check distances, as the bicycling distances may vary significantly from the walking route.

4. The section between Combarro and A Armenteira is a ~1500ā€™ steady climb (first on roads, then on a trail), followed by a ~500ā€™ drop to the monastery. This happens within 9 km / 5.5 mi. Youā€™ll have to decide for yourself whether this is within the familyā€™s fitness level. Take the weather conditions into account. It was still quite hot in September.

5. As others have noted, missing the Ruta da Pedra e da Agua would be sad.

6. The boat I took had no places to secure bikes. The outside deck and the cabin were pretty tight with just the people squeezing around each other. There were at least 15 of us. (I suspect this is the largest boat on the route, though I canā€™t be certain.)

7. I didnā€™t see many bicyclists on the Caminho. The few I did see were on mountain bikesā€”and were young, male, and very fit. (This is not to say that many other people couldnā€™t bike the route. This is just what I saw out there!)

8. Iā€™m unaware of any passenger rail service in this part of Galicia. Others may be more knowledgeable about transit options.

ā“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back