• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Cycling the Meseta?

joecamino

Time of past OR future Camino
2017 CF
Just walked into Pamplona a few hours ago-- so thanks first for all the encouragement that helped to get me here. The Pyrenees were hard but they didn't kill me. I'm now getting stronger and having more fun.

A chat with another pilgrim got me thinking about crossing the Meseta by bike. My thought is to rent something in Burgos and return it in León, shifting my stuff to saddle bags and shipping my empty pack ahead.

Does anyone here have experience doing this, or tips on where to rent?

Thanks again!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Sorry Joe, no experience with bikes but great to hear you're enjoying it so far.

Good to hear from you!

We shared a room with a young guy in Rabé de las Calzadas (a village outside of Burgos) who had rented a bike in Burgos, but had not planned for his pack which he learned the hard way that he needed transported. He arranged for pack transport in Rabé and then set off on his bike. I felt sorry for him the entire day because the biking conditions were miserable - lots of rain and wind and mud (this was early May). We did see him in Santiago at the end though, and of course he was very happy with how it worked out for him.

By the way, while the walk between Burgos and Rabé is not that great, just beyond Rabé the countryside is beautiful. The meseta is nice to walk - very serene. The rain and wind did not bother me because I felt like I was walking in my own little cocoon with everything I needed on my back. :)

On a different note, the next few days on the Camino are spectacular - enjoy!
Buen Camino.

PS There are hills, big ones, that I think would be difficult to ride up between Burgos and Fromista (see photo :) ).
Top of the hill.JPG

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Joe, if you're still in Pamplona check with the people at the pilgrim supply store, Caminoteca, Calle de Curio 15, Pamplona. It's on the Camino, just down from the cathedral. They speak English, are extremely helpful, and if they don't rent bikes, could direct you to someone who does. Good luck. And glad to hear things are going well for you!

Edit-- I should have added, I know you want to bike from Burgos, not Pamplona, but from what I understand rental companies will deliver and pick up. Anyway, It's a place to start.

I'm the first to say the only way to do the meseta
Is on a bike, but that might be more trouble than it is worth. Sorry for the italics I' m in France with just a phone and too much wine. Have no idea why is is writing like that. You cruised the Pyrenees you'll stroll across the Meseta as well.

I'm the first to say the only way to do the meseta
Is on a bike, but that might be more trouble than it is worth. Sorry for the italics I' m in France with just a phone and too much wine. Have no idea why is is writing like that. You cruised the Pyrenees you'll stroll across the Meseta as well.

This post is hilarious!! :) :)

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Just walked into Pamplona a few hours ago-- so thanks first for all the encouragement that helped to get me here. The Pyrenees were hard but they didn't kill me. I'm now getting stronger and having more fun.

A chat with another pilgrim got me thinking about crossing the Meseta by bike. My thought is to rent something in Burgos and return it in León, shifting my stuff to saddle bags and shipping my empty pack ahead.

Thanks again!

Joe, CONGRATS on making it to Pamplona! It's been fun to follow your journey from packing to having you be a few days in.

Do you speak a bit of Spanish? If so you may be able to navigate this website: http://www.bicigrino.info/tienda_vi...cicleta-camino-santiago-de-burgos-a-leon.html. Looks like it's perfect for you - it's just for the stretch from Burgos to León. If you scroll down on the site you'll see photos and info for where in Burgos you can pick up a bike. If you don't know Spanish, try to visit them in person and communicate what you need.

Buen Camino!
Faith

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.

Thanks again!

It is good to hear from you, Joe. I had been thinking about, and praying, for you. :)

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
My husband and I have been thinking of doing this on our Camino in order to save a few days (Le Puy all the way to Santiago). If you do decided to bike the Meseta, let us know how it worked out!

Joe, CONGRATS on making it to Pamplona! It's been fun to follow your journey from packing to having you be a few days in.

Do you speak a bit of Spanish? If so you may be able to navigate this website: http://www.bicigrino.info/tienda_vi...cicleta-camino-santiago-de-burgos-a-leon.html. Looks like it's perfect for you - it's just for the stretch from Burgos to León. If you scroll down on the site you'll see photos and info for where in Burgos you can pick up a bike. If you don't know Spanish, try to visit them in person and communicate what you need.

Buen Camino!
Faith

You don't need to speak spanish. On the top left hand side of the webpage there is a button for spanish or english. :)

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
On the top left hand side of the webpage there is a button for spanish or english.
I didn't see that either because the cookie notification statement covered the button. Anyway, in the general case, if you see a directory level in a URL of /es/ remove everything after the second slash and replace /es/ with /en/. You almost always get to a version of the site in English. Not always though as there are sites that have multiple language versions but they may only include the other languages used in Spain.

6 in the general case, if you see a directory level in a URL of /es/ remove everything after the second slash and replace /es/ with /en/. You almost always get to a version of the site in English. Not always though as there are sites that have multiple language versions .

That's a really helpful tip! Thanks!

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Hi Joe,
Having cycled from Pamplona to Santiago in 2015 on rented bikes, I would like to recommend the hire company that we used, they deliver to and collect from all regions in Spain and Portugal and the service we received was really helpful and professional.
Cycling is a fantastic way to do the camino especially if you're limited with time. Anyway, the company we used was cycling-rentals.

Buen camino, Stephen.

Thanks again!
I did exactly that in 2015 after calculating that I'd not make Santiago in time for a flight and considering an injured knee. Compressed about 8 days to 2 ½ days. Mundicamino.com in Burgos was great. Rented a bike plus other items (it's all a la carte) and dumped the bike in Astorga then walked from there. Can elaborate if you need. I will say one thing: think like a walker. Let the walkers know you're coming. I did a gentle sing-song 'hola' until I knew they heard me and I slowed right down to pass. 'Cyclists' don't appreciate the difference in psychology and go rattling past often startling walkers. The only ones I surprised were people plugged into earbuds. If after 3 tries they didn't hear me, I just went on through and scared a few but , hey, di my best and they'd opted to bow out of the 'real' world in favour of the 'virtual'. ..their call.

Hi! I got into León yesterday evening after a three-day ride from Burgos. Thought I'd share some notes on what I learned.

There are a number of options to rent bikes for some or all of the Camino. Good resources on http://bicigrino.com/en/

I worked with Diego Diaz, who owns the Velobur bikeshop in Burgos, and paid 125€ for four days rental. That included bags, rack, lock and helmet. You may find cheaper elsewhere, but the bike and intel he gave me was solid.

I didn't ship anything ahead. Just dumped my pack's content into the saddlebags, and bungeed the pack across on top.

Rode first day-- to Castrojeriz-- on trails, and had no problem sharing path with walkers. Just used common courtesy. That said, the riding itself is challenging in places, especially if you're a road rider, not a mountain biker.

I had to push the bike up some of the hills. And navigating a fully loaded bike down some of those trails...well, it was a solid 8-8.5 on the sphincter scale. Very thankful for bike Diego set me up with.

It's possible to ride a fairly direct line on asphalt from Castrojeriz on, and thats what I did, using helpful guide Diego gave me. The roads are not hill-free, but cycling them does provide a great pedaling-free "wheeeeee!" stretch once you crest the top.

Anyway, thanks to all for the advice and support. I'm off to see a bit of León before I pick up my sticks and continue west.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Glad you got sorted Joe, makes me wish I was back out there cycling the camino, I never enjoyed a holiday more.

Buen Camino amigo.

Hi! I got into León yesterday evening after a three-day ride from Burgos. Thought I'd share some notes on what I learned.

There are a number of options to rent bikes for some or all of the Camino. Good resources on http://bicigrino.com/en/

I worked with Diego Diaz, who owns the Velobur bikeshop in Burgos, and paid 125€ for four days rental. That included bags, rack, lock and helmet. You may find cheaper elsewhere, but the bike and intel he gave me was solid.

I didn't ship anything ahead. Just dumped my pack's content into the saddlebags, and bungeed the pack across on top.

Rode first day-- to Castrojeriz-- on trails, and had no problem sharing path with walkers. Just used common courtesy. That said, the riding itself is challenging in places, especially if you're a road rider, not a mountain biker.

I had to push the bike up some of the hills. And navigating a fully loaded bike down some of those trails...well, it was a solid 8-8.5 on the sphincter scale. Very thankful for bike Diego set me up with.

It's possible to ride a fairly direct line on asphalt from Castrojeriz on, and thats what I did, using helpful guide Diego gave me. The roads are not hill-free, but cycling them does provide a great pedaling-free "wheeeeee!" stretch once you crest the top.

Anyway, thanks to all for the advice and support. I'm off to see a bit of León before I pick up my sticks and continue west.

Hi. Thanks for your advice. I am thinking of biking just as you have for time reasons. I am not a very experienced biker so am wondering what footwear is needed for biking this stretch?

Hi. Thanks for your advice. I am thinking of biking just as you have for time reasons. I am not a very experienced biker so am wondering what footwear is needed for biking this stretch?

Hi Lindi. You won't need (or want) special clip-in shoes. You'll be climbing onto and off bike a lot, especially if you ride on trails. I wore the same Merrill boots I've been walking in.

If possible, I'd get some practice riding rougher ground at slow speeds. It'll serve you well. You might consider sending your pack ahead via Jacotrans or similar service.

Good luck!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Why cycle the Meseta if you can walk it? IMHO it's the finest part of the whole Camino!
As one who has both cycled (Sep 2015) and walked (May 2017) I am now in the walkers camp (at least in May) - even if it did rain all the way from Rabe to Hotanas with temps down below 10C. We did it in 8 days - some short ones and some long ones. Even now I am home I still have the mental images of the greenness of the Meseta this northern Spring.:)
(will post some pickies soon).

I did exactly that in 2015 after calculating that I'd not make Santiago in time for a flight and considering an injured knee. Compressed about 8 days to 2 ½ days. Mundicamino.com in Burgos was great. Rented a bike plus other items (it's all a la carte) and dumped the bike in Astorga then walked from there. Can elaborate if you need. I will say one thing: think like a walker. Let the walkers know you're coming. I did a gentle sing-song 'hola' until I knew they heard me and I slowed right down to pass. 'Cyclists' don't appreciate the difference in psychology and go rattling past often startling walkers. The only ones I surprised were people plugged into earbuds. If after 3 tries they didn't hear me, I just went on through and scared a few but , hey, di my best and they'd opted to bow out of the 'real' world in favour of the 'virtual'. ..their call.

I too rented from Velobur in April 2018 from Burgos to Leon. Diego helped me also. Velobur provides a helmet, panniers, and straps for a backpack. With some companies you have to provide your own helmet and they can cost 80 Euros. My 4 day rental was 100 Euros including the helmet and other gear. I highly recommend Velobur. There is a shop to return the bike in Leon. I pushed the bike up several hills and down some because I was not used to a mountain bike. I am glad I rented the bike although I was very careful and not aggressive.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.

Most read last week in this forum

I have walked several caminos since 2013 and am hoping to experience the Primitivo in September. Recently I have developed a nasty intermittent pain in the ball of my feet, especially the left...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.