Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Cycling the Primitivo in November

Charlie Perry

Time of past OR future Camino
None
I have a spare week in early November and was thinking of cycling the Camino Primitivo from Oviedo. I'm relatively fit and have some experience of hill walking. I'm just a bit worried about the amount of rain and the condition of the track. Also, will many other people be doing it this time of year? I see that quite a few of the Albergues close at the end of October. Would I be better off doing the Frances or the Norte?

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Hi and welcome to the forum @Charlie Perry

You write that you have hill walking experience, but what is your hill cycling experience like? November can be quite rainy which means muddy ways, even less fun on a bike than on foot. Buen Camino, SY

Not sure if there is a cycling route (like in Frances) but for sure you don't want to be sticking with the walking route. With rain even walkers can be stuck in the mud. Even without rain, there are some path you literally fall off the hill and that is just for the walkers.

Try further south. Camino del Madrid, Camino Mozarabe, via de la Plata or Camino Levante. Spain uniqueness for cyclist is their mesata and you have lots further south to choose from.

Better to cycle and enjoy the heavenly view rather than keeping your eyes all the time on muddy, wet, slippery and dangerous downhill.

They all have challenging hills too and Camino del Madrid even up to an altitude way higher than the Frances. But when in the plains... sheer bliss.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
will many other people be doing it this time of year?
I don't know the numbers (someone I'm sure will post a link) but if you choose a less traveled route when the weather is cold and rainy you will probably find fewer walkers/bicyclists for company at the end of the day, if that's something you want.

I have a spare week in early November and was thinking of cycling the Camino Primitivo from Oviedo. I'm relatively fit and have some experience of hill walking. I'm just a bit worried about the amount of rain and the condition of the track. Also, will many other people be doing it this time of year? I see that quite a few of the Albergues close at the end of October. Would I be better off doing the Frances or the Norte?

Hi Charlie,
There are stretches of the Primitivo that will prove to be a "unique" challenge to cyclists, if not too much, in November. My guess is you would not enjoy it at that time of year on a bike, even though it is a stunning camino to walk.

You can reasonably expect to have bad weather with much rain and poor visibility.

I'm not sure about the number of pilgrims you can expect and you are correct about some of the albergues being closed. That said, if you are successful in being able to cycle you would likely find enough to suit your needs because of the greater distances you may cover.

Personally, it's a route I wouldn't try to cycle at that time of year.

Good luck with your eventual decision.

Buen Camino

Hi Charlie

I agree with what has been said in previous posts.
I walked the Primitivo and we saw cyclists and wondered how much experience they must have as some areas were very challenging even for an experienced walker and it was bone dry and didn´t rain a single day.
One thing I can say that I wouldn´t want to walk some parts after long periods of rain.

In the end it is your decision and buen camino.

Michael

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
and it was bone dry and didn´t rain a single day.
I may just be working up to hate you;)
I bet everyday bluebirds dropped a grilled croissant with butter and jam in front of you also?
pretty much the only days it didn't rain on my camino it snowed on them, until I reached Salamanca. Then all 80 days of missed sunshine all at once.o_O

Thanks for all the advice. Just got back from doing the Ingles. Had a great time and I'll be back to do the Primitivo next year hopefully

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!

Most read last week in this forum

Hi all! Started today from Oviedo to Escamplero. Now I know, why so many people say it's a bit of a challenge to come out of Oviedo. I got lost just once, but was rescued by a very friendly guy. A...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back