• For 2024 Pilgrims: ā‚¬50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • āš ļø Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Cycling the Ruta de la Lana?

Tandem Graham

E ultreia e suseia, Deus adjuva nos
Time of past OR future Camino
Le Puy, CF, VDLP, Francigena
Bike: UK-SdC, Lana
In June 2019, Carol and I plan to cycle our tandem from Lisbon southwards, then east along the Algarve coast and the mediterranean coast of Spain. I am attracted by the idea of 'turning left' at Alicante and following the Ruta de la Lana to Burgos. From what I read on this forum, this camino passes through a beautiful, under-appreciated part of Spain and that pilgrims are few but are encouraged and supported by the local pilgrim associations. But how much of the route is suitable for cycling? Or will we be better to follow minor roads between the camino villages?
Our bike is robust, with good climbing gears and 26x2 inch hybrid tyres, and we have plenty of experience of long distance touring. But we struggle to lift our machine over gates or stiles! Any advice or alternative suggestions for a South-East to North cyclable pilgrimage route much appreciated.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Hi, Iā€™m more into cycling myself and Iā€™ve just walked the la Lana. I also plan to cycle it again before the height of this summer. The vast majority is possible by bike. Obviously thereā€™s the odd canyon and gorge to go around. Thereā€™s marked alternatives at these areas. I was blessed with almost constant sunshine and very firm surfaces. Going by the amount of mud on the penultimate and last day, Iā€™d imagine youā€™d struggle during any prolonged periods of rain. In fact, progress would halt! I donā€™t think this would be an issue during the heat of summer. Who can predict the weather these days. Also....lots of very sharp puncture size stones. Youā€™ll definitely need, your schwalbe marathons. Most of the gates are cycle friendly! I wasnā€™t always paying full attention, but, I canā€™t really remember any styles or gates! Itā€™s a fairly windy route, I think this would be evened out with the more sheltered forests/ wooded areas. If youā€™re relatively fit, the elevation wonā€™t be a problem. The odd climb, but no all day climbing! Plenty of cheap cycle friendly albergues, hotels, pensions, casa rural and the odd campsite. I arrived home 4 days ago and Iā€™m missing the sun. Itā€™s really windy here and Iā€™m struggling to pull on my Lycra! Anyway, I canā€™t wait for my next adventure. Youā€™ll love cycling, the la Lana! I personally canā€™t wait! For now, Iā€™m off in to the wind,rain and muck! All the best.wild

Thanks @wildrover. Sounds like I need to invest in new Marathon Tour Plus tyres before we go.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Yes, I've seen those, or ones like them. They have the 'mountain bike' bit writ large, whereas I'll be on a heavily laden touring tandem. We can do gravel trails, but not rocky descents, boulder hopping or wet mud, nor can we easily lift our bike over a stile or narrow gate. I'd prefer to hear from anyone who has cycled it themselves and can give me their insights.

ā“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back