• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Cycling the VDLP

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
No worries. There were 3 of us, all with cameras, so shoot whenever possible !!!

Off to do the il Primitivo again in 5 weeks time

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
THIS LOOKS LIKE SO MUCH FUN!!!!

We are leaving in a week to cycle the Le Puy route and I have questions:

We have the same Topeak Trunk set with moon beam - did you find it sturdy off-road? I was worried that it might shake too much and break but you did some uneven and rocky stuff and seemed ok? (sorry I am in a hurry tonight so I just scrolled through some of the days pictures) I cycled around with it a bit and it seems ok although I have aded a cord around the beam to my saddle brackets to give it some more stability.

How much weight did you carry in the Topeak? I have everything loaded and comes to about 5,5kg. Don't want to take a camelback as my neck and shoulders don't handle that too well due to an old neck injury. Usualy have one bottle on the frame and another in my back pocket of my cycling shirt.

Anyway, looked like a fantastic trip and am sure looking forward to mine. Let me know your experience with the Topeak.

Regards,
Marie

The Topeak beam rack are good but we did have problems. My girlfriends rack went on the il Primitivo last year and then was used all through winter in London. Just before we were due to leave, I had to take the rack off of the bike as she was using her mountainbike but the bolt was rusted. I used WD40 and twisted the bolt back and forth and got it off, however, on day 4, at the end of the day, the bolt broke. I believe that I stressed the bolt trying to undo it. We had a bolt with the same thread so we were lucky, but on day 11, this one gave way as well. Luckily, my girlfriend can speak a fair bit of Spanish so we found an iron workers place and he sorted it out. Looking at her rack, it had done around 4000Ks

Once back on the road, we found that the rack was moving around and when we looked at it, the rubbers were wearing out. This happened on all three bikes.

Having read what you are going to do, unless you are off road, you should have no problems

As far as water goes, that should not be a problem either, but on the VDLP, you need loads of water, even on a bike, as the villages are very scarce. We did have 6 kilos in the bag, the sleeping bag was in the top box, and I we had our clothes in the side in waterproof bags. Personally, I would not go anywhere without a camelback as it kept also a spare tube and pump inside

Thanks for yout info. I think we should try and find an extra bolt to take with and I am taking offcuts pieces of tubing and electrical tape as I have read about the rubbers wearing out

We want to do some of the off road but not that much. Seems the first few days can be quite technical so we will stay on the road but later it seems the walking tracks are quite suitable for bikes.

Thanks again and keep well.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
One other thing, get a cover. I have used backpack ones but they are not as good as the Topeak one that is made for the bag

Wow! Great pictures. I'm supposed to be sorting out my Nice to Rome photos, and you got me stuck on yours. You guys are real mountain bikers, and I've got a lot of respect for anyone who can log distances like that dealing with mud etc. I've always heard Brits were tough.

Thanks for the gps data too!

By the way, if you want a solid rack which will never, ever break, look at the Old Man Mountain. Our last trip with a group was a clean sweep---every other rack broke.

Good pics + report, thanks for posting.

re beam racks on seatposts - I used one once for a week long road tour, but I'd be wary of them for longer / rougher off-road routes. Seatposts and that area of the frame aren't always up to it - it depends on the bike really. We met a guy with a broken but just-about rideable Cannondale frame on the Camino Frances, the frame had cracked under the load. He had panniers hanging off it, but they weren't huge ones.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Hi guys, I have read up on the internet about the bike racks but only Topeak is available in South-Africa and I have a dual suspension bike so I had to take a beamrack. My panniers are loaded with 6.3 kg and I hope the added strap to my saddle brackets will give some extra support.

There is a rack from New Zealand that also looks great but alas, it was not to be. Also checked out OMM... we decided to do this on too short notice. My friend is not so very comfortable off road so I think we will stick to road mostly.

I had a good fix doing offroad on the Sani2C which is probably the best MTB thing I have done so far so not too bothered - just want to experience the pilgrimage side of things, the scenery and of course the warmer weather!

Leaving tomorrow!!

Buen Camino,
Marie

Newfydog, thanks for the comments. We only had problems with one rack, but it had seen an English winter and was stuck on another bike, hence the bolt breaking, I believe that it was stressed before we left. As for Brits, come on, you are insulting us, it was two Aussies and one Brit !!!

James, I disagree with your comments. The beam rack that we had problems with had seen a 160K ride over the South Downs, the il Primitivo and 3000 Ks of commuting in London. To have done near 500Ks before a stressed bolt broke, can't be a problem. The other 2 racks did 1000Ks and are still going strong. I am now commuting with mine with no problems what so ever and the other one is getting ready for the il Primitivo.

MywaySA, the Kiwi rack you are talking about is called a Freeloader. They will attach to any bike, be it hard tail or full suspension. I have now updated to one of these as I want to use my Ortliebs on my next trip in July when I conquer the il Primitivo. We just tested it on a 126 klm ride from London to Brighton, the off road version and it was solid as a rock

Most read last week in this forum

I have walked several caminos since 2013 and am hoping to experience the Primitivo in September. Recently I have developed a nasty intermittent pain in the ball of my feet, especially the left...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back