• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Cycling the Via de la Plata from North to South

Perry Kulak

Time of past OR future Camino
via de la plata (2019)
We are thinking of cycling along the Via de la Norte to Gijon and then down the Via de la Plata to Seville in Oct./Nov. Has anyone done this and how hard is it to follow a cycling route? We have touring bikes so do not want to do a lot of rough trails. Is there any information available that we could use to guide us along the route to Seville?

Thanks Perry Kulak

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Perry, that sounds like a great trip. Here are some sites that may be of help to you in your planning. This first one is a gpx track that starts in Gijon and goes to Sevilla (and then on to Cadiz). If you use the drop-down "more maps" menu (upper right) to bring up the "maps raster IGN" and then zoom way in, you will be able to see the types of roads/paths it is using and judge whether they are what you want. (Link to the legend for IGN maps) There are also videos and comments on the page (open in Chrome for auto-translate).

There are many gpx tracks recorded in the opposite direction that you could follow in reverse. Here's a road bike gpx track recorded in the Sevilla - Gijon direction:

Finally, Timothy Tower has a bike journal here about his ride on the Via de la Plata and the Camino del Norte. He is very good about answering questions if you email him via the guestbook on his journal.

Have fun,
Elaine

Last edited:
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Also the spanish guidebook to the route is clear enough to use both ways - the maps are great and keep you off the really rough tracks - but give you enough offroad to enjoy the spectacular scenery.... if you get to Seville and want more - there is another route that takes you down to via Jerez (Don't miss the Bodegas Tradicion - 50yr old sherry and awesome art) to Cadiz - with its lovely seafood......
We did the whole thing on cheap hybrids and it was fine!

Hi Perry, I rode the VDLP in the traditional south to north route less than two years ago (April 2019). Really enjoyed it. Although I primarily rode the Camino paths, I was on stretches of paved road pretty regularily. In most places the road and the path were not far apart. All was good riding, but with some significant hills. If you use an iPhone or an iPad download the “windy maps” app. I found it most helpful because the Caminos are highlighted by a blue line. Even without internet, the maps can be downloaded. Unfortunately, even though I rode in April, I did hit a lot of rain and some snow. Certainly a possibility in November as well. Although I rode the VDLP in 12 days, approximately 3 stages or 50 miles a day, that really pushed my 67 year old body. But, with a lighter rode bike and and staying primarily on pavement, your daily mileage might be better than mine. If I were to do this again, on the trails, I’d keep my distance down to two stages per day. One other experience to share with you is that I rented a bike in Sevilla. Although it was brand new, it was a very heavy bike and not the kind I would choose to ride here at home. So, if you are renting, really do your research on the quality of bikes that are available to you. When in doubt, go with a higher quality of bike. It will really pay off on the hills. Riding a Camino was a great experience that I would do again. A positive about riding the VDLP was that I generally had the road/path all to myself. Then, at the end of the day, it was fun seeing fellow pilgrims at the albergues. Buen Camino!

Like @Grousedoctor, I also did my first bike VdlP at 67 on a heavy rented bike. On the other occasions I flew my own bike from Australia. Weight is a problem for old knees. Mind you, on my first I was also badly overloaded with stuff, which didn't help.
I agree entirely with @Grousedoctor's comments above.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Hi Perry, I rode the VDLP in the traditional south to north route less than two years ago (April 2019). Really enjoyed it. Although I primarily rode the Camino paths, I was on stretches of paved road pretty regularily. In most places the road and the path were not far apart. All was good riding, but with some significant hills. If you use an iPhone or an iPad download the “windy maps” app. I found it most helpful because the Caminos are highlighted by a blue line. Even without internet, the maps can be downloaded. Unfortunately, even though I rode in April, I did hit a lot of rain and some snow. Certainly a possibility in November as well. Although I rode the VDLP in 12 days, approximately 3 stages or 50 miles a day, that really pushed my 67 year old body. But, with a lighter rode bike and and staying primarily on pavement, your daily mileage might be better than mine. If I were to do this again, on the trails, I’d keep my distance down to two stages per day. One other experience to share with you is that I rented a bike in Sevilla. Although it was brand new, it was a very heavy bike and not the kind I would choose to ride here at home. So, if you are renting, really do your research on the quality of bikes that are available to you. When in doubt, go with a higher quality of bike. It will really pay off on the hills. Riding a Camino was a great experience that I would do again. A positive about riding the VDLP was that I generally had the road/path all to myself. Then, at the end of the day, it was fun seeing fellow pilgrims at the albergues. Buen Camino!
having a severe balance problem left hand side makes cycling a no-no for me. Having been damn near wiped out by cyclists on the Frances ( me being a foot-slogger :) ) also makes me somewhat antagonistic to the entire breed! Paradoxically it was cyclists who came to my aid a number of times on the Plata :) The Camino has its own sense of humour! I also have to admit that I really enjoyed my cycling-camping days in Brittany and the Ardennes. Its a wonderful way to see a country. The reason for all of this merry badinage is I would like to do it all again if I could find an appropriate adult tricycle ! I have never seen any posts on this and I am wondering if you have ever actually seen one on the trail?

Sensible replies only please!

Samarkand.

Hmm. I'm guessing that must have cost you quite a lot in excess baggage fees? Do you remember how much you paid? I guess it's worth it if you have a really nice bicycle.
Not at all. My camino baggage weighed 9 kilograms, and the bike 10. Flying Qatar you're allowed 30kg.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
The reason for all of this merry badinage is I would like to do it all again if I could find an appropriate adult tricycle ! I have never seen any posts on this and I am wondering if you have ever actually seen one on the trail?
Sensible replies only please!
Sensible reply: no. But I did see a recumbent bike.

Hmm. I'm guessing that must have cost you quite a lot in excess baggage fees? Do you remember how much you paid? I guess it's worth it if you have a really nice bicycle.
I misled you on my last post. The bike, (carbon), plus travel bag, accessories like helmet, tools handlebar bag, probably weighed 18kg, still well under the limit.

Travelling with a bike is a hassle though, and there is the added worry about possible damage. As I've posted elsewhere, in 2018 I bought a second bike, a real rolls-royce of a machine, over the internet from Sanferbike in Madrid, At 30% discount. I rode it to Santiago and then reversed Camino Frances, up the west coast of France and left it with my son who lives in Ireland. My 2020 Camino was going to be from Cork by ferry to Brittany, then to Santiago and back. Hmmm...

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
My husband is ancient and also has a balance problem. Our solution is a pair of recumbent trikes which couple in tandem. The front one (mine) has electric assist as he tires and has to stop pedalling at times, and while I might look stupid I'm not that daft.....
In France we got them on prescription which meant getting some help with the cost and reduced VAT. Nice to have, as they weren't cheap... Delta trikes, Hase Trigo. Not intended for use on rough tracks, but fine on not so good tarmac and narrow enough for a normal door opening. They don't look like "disabled" gear.
Trikes are great going uphill as you don't have to rely on forward movement for balance, though the delta configuration which is needed to connect them means all wheels are 20 inch and they are definitely slower than normal bikes.

My husband is ancient and also has a balance problem. Our solution is a pair of recumbent trikes which couple in tandem. The front one (mine) has electric assist as he tires and has to stop pedalling at times, and while I might look stupid I'm not that daft.....
In France we got them on prescription which meant getting some help with the cost and reduced VAT. Nice to have, as they weren't cheap...
If only I could look forward to such beneficence in Ireland should I ever need a power-assisted bike or trike! No immediate prospect of such manna from heaven, not even with a Green Minister for transport, himself a committed cyclist.

Oh, you get the same money whether it's power assist or not, as long as it is on the approved list. It comes under mobility aids.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.

Most read last week in this forum

I have walked several caminos since 2013 and am hoping to experience the Primitivo in September. Recently I have developed a nasty intermittent pain in the ball of my feet, especially the left...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back