• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Cycling the Via Francigena

Linda Strickland

Time of past OR future Camino
None
Hello. My husband and I recently walked the Camino de Santiago (St Jean to Santiago) and have now set our sights on the VF. In order to ensure we have enough time to complete the journey we are considering cycling from Canterbury to Bensacon (or Lausanne) and walking the rest.

This approach raises some issues that I thought I would pose to the forum.

1. Does anyone know of companies that rent bikes one way Canterbury to Bensacon (or Lausanne )?

2. Does anyone know of a good cycle shop in Europe where we could buy some used bikes?

3. We may possibly bring our own bikes and would like to store them until we return next year for another cycle trip. Anyone have ideas for storage in Lausanne or Bensacon?

Linda

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Your idea of cycling that section is a good one. I cannot help with answers to your questions but a new bike can be bought in the UK for less than £200 ( from places such as Halfords) which would compare well I would suggest with a rental or transporting your own. Of course such a bike will not be a lightweight sprinter but would still have 21+ gears which will be useful when lugging your stuff.

Most read last week in this forum

Hello! I'm starting research on the VF and, having walked the Camino Francés, I wonder how laundry/hand washing facilities and situations compare on the Francigena. I know there are more private...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back