• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Cycling the way questions

Nancy Curren

Time of past OR future Camino
France's 2014, (Portuguese 2017)
We will cycle the Camino for 2 weeKS ending in Santiago on May 1. So many questions. Help please.
1. What route and where to start?
2. Buy or rent bikes? Where? (We do have additional time in Spain.) How about shipping or travel with them from USA or Germany where we have friends? Looking for least costly but quality too.
3. Any guide books specifically for cycling?

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
We will cycle the Camino for 2 weeKS ending in Santiago on May 1. So many questions. Help please.
2. Buy or rent bikes? Where? (We do have additional time in Spain.) How about shipping or travel with them from USA or Germany where we have friends? Looking for least costly but quality too.

Hola:
OK first go to the "Biking/Cycling the Camino" section - nearly ALL your questions will have directly or indirectly been answered. I especially recommend the posts from Newfydog.
But to give a quick start - if you are going for two weeks - then renting is probably better. The can deliver to most major towns/cities in Spain (or Portugal). If you chose the Camino Frances - then most major companies will happily deliver to Pamplona - just advise a hotel (and pick one that will allow you to store your bike - don't leave it on the street);
Can you reach Santiago in two weeks - well that depends upon what sort of biker you are and if you intend to replicate the walkers camino or follow the roads - questions about this are generally answered;
Cycling Specific Guidebooks - how good is your French?? There is an excellent French one but its only available in the French language - unless someone has taken on the task of translating it in the past 12-15 months. Other than that I used the Brierley books and a good friend gave me a copy of the Michelin guide - it has been minor road information for the sections where you cannot follow the walkers.
Once you have had a look at the Cycling the Camino section - by all means come back with any specific questions. I am happy to answer any PM (private messages) and I am reasonably sure Newfydog will do the same.
The only SMALL reservations I have is your timing. If you intend to finish in Santiago on the 1st of May (which by the way is a Public Holiday in Spain) you are going to be riding during April which will include Easter this year (Easter Sunday is 16th April) which may affect your choices of accommodation. So more research required. If it has been a big (lots of snow) winter then the hills west of Pamplona; the Alto just before San Juan de Ortega and of course the mountains between Astorga and Sarria may be affected by snow. So you might want to investigate renting a bike with wider/wet weather tyres. Good luck

The Brierly books are a good source. I rode the camino frances last month. I rode from St. Jean Pied de Port, France all the way to Santiago. About 500 miles and I completed this in two weeks.

A couple random comments:

The Brierly Books were published a few years back. In the interim, Spain has this interesting habit of renumbering or reclassifying some of the major routes. If, when you arrive the route is signed as 'N' (national), then you will be okay. If the route is now signed as AP (AutoPista) it means that the road is now a tollway and bikes, horses, and farm implements are prohibited.

A mountain bike, trail bike, comfort bike, or cyclocross is a good choice as this allows you to ride on either the roads or on the camino path. There are many sections of the camino path that are just too rocky and where you wouldn't want to ride a bike. Usually, the road section is not very far from the camino path.

I took my bike over and transported it in a bike box. This created a whole series of issues for me that were travel related but did not apply to the camino. You'll have to plan where to store your box and then when and how you will retrieve the bike box. If, while in-country, you intend to take either the train or bus, you will need a bike bag (ALSA bus company sells these) as this will allow you to transport your disassembled bike on the bus or train. If I had it all to do over again, I would have rented a bike - less costly and less hassle.

Many of the guide books related to cycling will point out which towns include bike shops. Bike shops are closed on Sundays and many retail shops don't open until 10 am and most close during the lunch hours. I must have ridden by 10 bike shops on my camino and only two of them were open at the time of my travels. If you take your own bike, bring along some extra spokes. You can zip-tie these to your front fork.

I had read that many of the Albergues defer on cyclists seeking acomodations so that the walking pilgrims could have first choice. I didn't find this to be the case when I was on the camino. Many of the albergues also have a safe storage area for your bike.

You will likely find if you are riding, that you spend much more time on the road than on the trail. I found that the drivers in Spain generally respect cyclists and afford them a wide berth on the highways.

While the walking pilgrims like to leave before daylight, to avoid the afternoon heat, cyclists should wait until almost daybreak, especially if their route includes road travel. While you are likely to come across other cyclists on your journey, in many respects cycling the camino is more solitary than walking the camino since there are fewer of you.

Your smart phone can be outfitted with sim cards in Spain for your trip or you can make arrangements with your wireless carrier before departing. This provides access to weather and current road layout. All of the Albergues where I stayed offered wi-fi, as do the hotels, cafes & bars. This doesn't mean they always work for you so you have to be prepared to take this in stride.

not only is it important to be in relatively good shape for cycling, you should plan a couple of days of riding prior to your departure loaded down with all the gear you intend to carry and WHERE YOU RIDE SOME BIG, LONG, NASTY HILLS. This will provide a good barometer of your overall fitness and where you can make decisions as to what you really need to carry on your journey. I brought a cheap sleeping bag as I was concerned about bed bugs in the albergues but found that this wasn't really necessary so I pitched it early in my travel.

In and around the smaller towns and in your albergue, you can generally feel some level of safety regarding your belongings. When you are in the big cities, there are pickpockets and it would be terrible to lose your bike or panniers mid-way through your journey. I brought along a lock & very thin chain for intended use in the big cities.

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
Wally - you have covered a great number of the issues that confront the cycle-pilgrim. I too brought my own bike (from Oz) and fully understand the in-Spain transport issues. That's reason I recommended renting (especially for 2 weeks). I only used private albergues and thus had no problems about being admitted. The good ones even had under cover space to lock the bike. Totally agree about experiencing riding a fully loaded cycle - those 8 (or more) kgs really do make a difference. We have not had any more responses from our OP - but hopefully they have not been deterred from their adventure.

Also, make sure your bike has a bell.
Use it or call out to walking pilgrims rather than come up on them all of a sudden.
Have a great Camino!

Agree with most of advice. First mid may the weather on walking camino can be a disaster for even the fittest MTB's. If you rent bikes to ride off and on road the road sections can be a struggle with knobbly tyres. Always best to use your own bike in my opinion. For sense of achievement and camaraderie St Frances is good. Beware as a biker using Albergeus the walkers will resent you coming into dorm late and likwise you will certainty be awake hours before you need to. In 20 days it give you ample time to continue to Fisterre and other stopovers . My videos might give you.a flavor of road route and some good accommodation. www.seanoreilly.4t.com . I have seen DHL Bike deliveries Arrive at hotels, might be an option. Buen Camino sean

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
@Seano. I rode about 500 km (out of 650 km) following the walkers trail. My bike has wide/knobbly tyres and whilst I did not have a lot of wet weather they more than coped with both the "off-road" and "on-road" sections. Yes they do restrict your speed (or daily distance travelled) but that's cycling. Rental v Bring your own? Well unless our OP is based in Europe/UK the hassle of transport both to your starting point and then home from Santiago is not really worth it for 2 weeks. The better bike rental companies will usually have new bikes available - especially at the start of the rental season and more importantly they provide a range of spares and back-up if something really goes wrong (or worse - it gets stolen). I found the camaraderie in ALL albergues no difference between myself and the walkers. I rarely started looking for accommodation before 3.30 / 4.00 pm and by then I had usually completed 40 kms (or two walking stages) and most hospitaleros were happy to admit me (and provide "off-street" parking for my bike). If you do decide to rent - then bring your own very strong / very secure bike lock. One that can secure at least one wheel - and preferably both. (Yes I know that locks are only to keep honest people away - but if your bike is doubly secure the thief will try elsewhere)! Cheers
(Oh - just a thought - the Spanish/Portugues rental companies don't normally deliver bikes to St Jean (in France) - I was advised that Pamplona was a usual starting point.)

@Seano. I rode about 500 km (out of 650 km) following the walkers trail. My bike has wide/knobbly tyres and whilst I did not have a lot of wet weather they more than coped with both the "off-road" and "on-road" sections. Yes they do restrict your speed (or daily distance travelled) but that's cycling. Rental v Bring your own? Well unless our OP is based in Europe/UK the hassle of transport both to your starting point and then home from Santiago is not really worth it for 2 weeks. The better bike rental companies will usually have new bikes available - especially at the start of the rental season and more importantly they provide a range of spares and back-up if something really goes wrong (or worse - it gets stolen). I found the camaraderie in ALL albergues no difference between myself and the walkers. I rarely started looking for accommodation before 3.30 / 4.00 pm and by then I had usually completed 40 kms (or two walking stages) and most hospitaleros were happy to admit me (and provide "off-street" parking for my bike). If you do decide to rent - then bring your own very strong / very secure bike lock. One that can secure at least one wheel - and preferably both. (Yes I know that locks are only to keep honest people away - but if your bike is doubly secure the thief will try elsewhere)! Cheers
(Oh - just a thought - the Spanish/Portugues rental companies don't normally deliver bikes to St Jean (in France) - I was advised that Pamplona was a usual starting point.)
I appreciate your reply SaintMike . all I can relate is my experience. Yes rental bikes in some cities are very good , not sure what the drop off charges are and what type of Luggage rack is included.. Your opening sentence indicates you had reasonable dry weather, thats the key point . Starting cycling from Pamplona is like skipping a wonderfull but difficult first day, As you see from my video from Rosevelles I bypassed The City of Pamplona . Lovely quite roads. Mike I never said there was a lack of Comerardie between walkers and bikers. all I am stating is the fact that walkers generally go to bed a little earlier for a & am start. When I cycle I have breakfast at 8.30 for a 9 am start. At the end of the day everyone has there own goals and ability levels.

I cycled the Frances from Pamplona to Santiago last year (13 days cycling), and it was wonderful. On the practical side, I did it with a company that booked all my accommodation and shipped my luggage from point to point, but I would definitely do it again without the support now (although pack as light as you can!). I blogged at blog.katycooper.co.uk if you want to see how I broke up the trip. (Note - I walked the first three days before picking up the bike in Pamplona.) Bike hire was from a company called Cycling the Camino (based in Santiago) - great bikes and a lovely chap who runs it (I did the Portuguese Camino this year with a bike from the same place). Be warned - there were a couple of hefty days (esp the one to Burgos)! Also, one of the toughest hills when I was on the tracks was the very first hill outside Pamplona - suggest sticking to the road for that one! I used the Brierley book - when it says that the path is steep, be warned that it may be *very* steep when you have a bike and panniers... Have a brilliant trip - I loved every minute!

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
I cycled the Frances from Pamplona to Santiago last year (13 days cycling), and it was wonderful. On the practical side, I did it with a company that booked all my accommodation and shipped my luggage from point to point, but I would definitely do it again without the support now (although pack as light as you can!). I blogged at blog.katycooper.co.uk if you want to see how I broke up the trip. (Note - I walked the first three days before picking up the bike in Pamplona.) Bike hire was from a company called Cycling the Camino (based in Santiago) - great bikes and a lovely chap who runs it (I did the Portuguese Camino this year with a bike from the same place)...!

Hola Katy - small question, you said you started in Pamplona, did you by any chance have your first bike stolen and have to rent another one for the Pamplona - Burgos section???
I had a look at your blog but can't find the first 10 days. I started from Pamplona on the morning of 5 Sep (2015) and met a woman cyclist at the top of the Alto del Perdon. We rode together into Puente La Reina.
Cheers

[QUOTinteresting Caty. I would be interested to hear wht you changed.fron dupported to carrying your own panniers.."Saint Mike II, post: 456316, member: 20994"]Hola Katy - small question, you said you started in Pamplona, did you by any chance have your first bike stolen and have to rent another one for the Pamplona - Burgos section???
I had a look at your blog but can't find the first 10 days. I started from Pamplona on the morning of 5 Sep (2015) and met a woman cyclist at the top of the Alto del Perdon. We rode together into Puente La Reina.
Cheers[/QUOTE]
Very I
I cycled the Frances from Pamplona to Santiago last year (13 days cycling), and it was wonderful. On the practical side, I did it with a company that booked all my accommodation and shipped my luggage from point to point, but I would definitely do it again without the support now (although pack as light as you can!). I blogged at blog.katycooper.co.uk if you want to see how I broke up the trip. (Note - I walked the first three days before picking up the bike in Pamplona.) Bike hire was from a company called Cycling the Camino (based in Santiago) - great bikes and a lovely chap who runs it (I did the Portuguese Camino this year with a bike from the same place). Be warned - there were a couple of hefty days (esp the one to Burgos)! Also, one of the toughest hills when I was on the tracks was the very first hill outside Pamplona - suggest sticking to the road for that one! I used the Brierley book - when it says that the path is steep, be warned that it may be *very* steep when you have a bike and panniers... Have a brilliant trip - I loved every minute!

Myself and my wife cycled from Pamplona to Santiago last year, we hired our bikes from cycling-rentals. The bikes and accessories were delivered to our hotel in Pamplona and collected from our hotel in Santiago, this includes a little bit of assembly (pedals and front wheel) but tools are supplied, along with panniers, helmets and spare spokes and tubes.
We only used the Michelin guide to navigate and we cycled both on the road and on the trail as the bikes we hired were hybrid touring bikes with front suspension, we had a ball, some parts were really tough but the sense of achievement made it all worthwhile. It took us 15 days to reach our goal with 10 days of actual cycling. I would highly recommend cycling-rentals as they made our experience hassle free and left us free to concentrate on finding our way across northern Spain.

Buen camino Stephen.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Myself and my wife cycled from Pamplona to Santiago last year, we hired our bikes from cycling-rentals. The bikes and accessories were delivered to our hotel in Pamplona and collected from our hotel in Santiago, this includes a little bit of assembly (pedals and front wheel) but tools are supplied, along with panniers, helmets and spare spokes and tubes.
We only used the Michelin guide to navigate and we cycled both on the road and on the trail as the bikes we hired were hybrid touring bikes with front suspension, we had a ball, some parts were really tough but the sense of achievement made it all worthwhile. It took us 15 days to reach our goal with 10 days of actual cycling. I would highly recommend cycling-rentals as they made our experience hassle free and left us free to concentrate on finding our way across northern Spain.

Buen camino Stephen.
Thats a great outcome as far as rental idea Stephen. Can you share the name of the company and do they deliver to St. Jean Pied de Port. Congratulations and best wishes

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
There is a map for cycling the Camino especially produced with different options at various stages. I haven't used the Camino Frances map but have used the VDLP and Camino del Cid ones and found them to be very good.

http://www.guiasenbici.com
Thank you so much for posting. We are planning on cycling the Camino Frances Oct. 2017 & I am looking for paved road maps. Please advise if it is feasible to cycle the camino on a road bike. I have a Specialized Evita. Also are bed bugs really a problem at the Albergues?

Ola (hello)
Yes, it is entirely feasible to cycle the camino on a road bike.
I'm not familiar with the Specialized Evita but I know that specialized is a good brand
Bring some extra spokes - there are so many varieties that, should you break a spoke, you can't assume that the next bike shop will have these in stock.
I rode the camino in september. I had read about the bedbugs and was prepared to spray my sleeping bag with Permitherm (sp?) but wound up not having time. I stayed at many of the albergues and did not find this to be a problem at all.
when you leave France and make your way over to Pamplona, the actual elevation ascent for cyclists is actually less than the path for pilgrims who walk.

If I had it to do over and knowing what I know now, I would try to pick up one of the Michelin cycling guides as several people told me that the road map guides were more up to date and contained more information.
buen camino

Hola Katy - small question, you said you started in Pamplona, did you by any chance have your first bike stolen and have to rent another one for the Pamplona - Burgos section???
Cheers
Mike - Yes!! That was indeed me! How extraordinary! I think you'd cut your leg on your chain, getting the bike up the hill... I was thinking of you when I wrote my message above :) And here's the relevant bit of the blog... https://decsop1.wordpress.com/2015/09/05/day-4-pamplona-to-estella/

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
Anyone looking for my blog, by the way, I've changed the address to https://decsop1.wordpress.com. It's a rather unwieldy site, I'm afraid - you have to scroll a long way down to see it all.

Mike - Yes!! That was indeed me! How extraordinary! I think you'd cut your leg on your chain, getting the bike up the hill... I was thinking of you when I wrote my message above :) And here's the relevant bit of the blog... https://decsop1.wordpress.com/2015/09/05/day-4-pamplona-to-estella/
Hello Katy - yes those legs - it took more than a few days before they were looking ok. I understand about the transporting bike & panniers. I had the same problems. In fact after the old roman bridge I follow the road. Thanks for the indirect mention in your blog. I am returning to walk from St Jean next May. Happy Christmas.:):D

Only just spotted this now, Mike - but good to hear from you, and Happy New Year! Good luck with the walk - I'm hoping to do the Northern route (again by bike) later this year, which would make it three Caminos in three years! Hope yours goes really well - will be wonderful for you to see it all again!

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Ola (hello)
Yes, it is entirely feasible to cycle the camino on a road bike.
I'm not familiar with the Specialized Evita but I know that specialized is a good brand
Bring some extra spokes - there are so many varieties that, should you break a spoke, you can't assume that the next bike shop will have these in stock.
I rode the camino in september. I had read about the bedbugs and was prepared to spray my sleeping bag with Permitherm (sp?) but wound up not having time. I stayed at many of the albergues and did not find this to be a problem at all.
when you leave France and make your way over to Pamplona, the actual elevation ascent for cyclists is actually less than the path for pilgrims who walk.

If I had it to do over and knowing what I know now, I would try to pick up one of the Michelin cycling guides as several people told me that the road map guides were more up to date and contained more information.
buen camino

Wally, I can't find a Michelin Cycling map online but I did manage to find Michelin Map 160 - Camino de Santiago (scale 1/150 000) Product Code : 9782067148055. Is this was your are recommending or are there actual Michelin cycling maps available only in Spain?

Back