• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Cycling VDLP Late April/Early May 2020

Anita Rigoni

Time of past OR future Camino
2016 Frances, 2017 Via Francigena - Lucca to Rome, 2019 Camino Del Norte and Via Francesco
Hello I am from Australia and would like to do my first cycling Camino. I was wondering if anyone else would like to join? I am not super confident to cycle on my own. Always happy to way alone. Not super fast but not super slow either. Any tips or suggestions would be welcomed.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Hello I am from Australia and would like to do my first cycling Camino. I was wondering if anyone else would like to join? I am not super confident to cycle on my own. Always happy to way alone. Not super fast but not super slow either. Any tips or suggestions would be welcomed.

Hi Anita,
I'm new at using this cite. So I'm assuming that your message was posted on Jan. 2, 2020. If so, I'm too cycling the Camino for the first time beginning on May 18 and (hoping) to reach Santiago on June 3. I'm doing this solo, but did arrange with Camino.com for the renting of a mountain bike, transfer of luggage, and hotel reservations. You might want to check with them. If days for your trip and mine overlap, perhaps we could do some of the Camino together. I've been cycling for over four years--but mostly road. Learning to ride a mountain bike at the moment.
Best, Meredith (Blue-Lady)

Do any of you know if it's easy to get from Pamplona to Saint-Jean-Pied-de-Port by bus? I'm arriving to Pamplona from the US on May 16 around 5:30 PM, and need to get to Saint-Jean-Pied form where I'll begin my cycling journey of the Camino. I did find a cite for buses but it simply says that there are no schedules for May 16. Any advice?
Thanks,

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Hello Anita....great time of year to cycle the VDLP . I have cycled this route 3 times , twice in April/May and once in September /October and loved every kilometre of every ride ( well almost ) .April 2019 i tried a short cut , although still the camino from near Montamara along the N631 to Tabara . I was told this was a quiet road and would save some 20/30 klms ....oooh not so quiet with many trucks and nowhere to go as there is a ditch alongside the road ..so...my first piece of advice is to avoid this short cut and just continue the camino upto granga de moreruela from Montamara where the camino sanabres starts .

I have lots of info on bike hire . Useful apps etc etc .please feel free to ask away and in that way i am there in spirit .
Regards....john

Last edited:
Hi Anita,
I'm new at using this cite. So I'm assuming that your message was posted on Jan. 2, 2020. If so, I'm too cycling the Camino for the first time beginning on May 18 and (hoping) to reach Santiago on June 3. I'm doing this solo, but did arrange with Camino.com for the renting of a mountain bike, transfer of luggage, and hotel reservations. You might want to check with them. If days for your trip and mine overlap, perhaps we could do some of the Camino together. I've been cycling for over four years--but mostly road. Learning to ride a mountain bike at the moment.
Best, Meredith (Blue-Lady)
Hello Meredith

Thank you for replying. I looked at the link you sent and I only get an add to buy the name Camino.com. Did you mean Camino Ways the tour group? I am sending my luggage through with the postal service. This has worked with other camino's I have completed. I am hoping to be in Santiago by May 15. Would have loved to have cycled with you. Good luck.

Hello Anita....great time of year to cycle the VDLP . I have cycled this route 3 times , twice in April/May and once in September /October and loved every kilometre of every ride ( well almost ) .April 2019 i tried a short cut , although still the camino from near Montamara along the N631 to Tabara . I was told this was a quiet road and would save some 20/30 klms ....oooh not so quiet with many trucks and nowhere to go as there is a ditch alongside the road ..so...my first piece of advice is to avoid this short cut and just continue the camino upto granga de moreruela from Montamara where the camino sanabres starts .

I have lots of info on bike hire . Useful apps etc etc .please feel free to ask away and in that way i am there in spirit .
Regards....john
Thank you John for your reply. I will take your suggestion regarding short cuts to heart. I am really interested in your tips and information on bike hire and also apps and how to download them. Also I have never used panniers before, I assume I pack similarly to a backpack. Normally I take just a silk liner as my sleeping gear. Do you believe this will be sufficient or should I pack a light sleeping bag?

Thank you in advance.
Regards Anita

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I’m cycling Camino frances May 7 th do you have any recommendations for bike hire? MTB or hybrid ? Going minimal so will be taking my own pannier , helmet etc

Have a look at this site for starters

It may be more cost effective to purchase one and donate it at the other end.

Hi Anita. I hired, and stayed at Triana Backpackers in Sevilla, (twice). You will find the VdlP a perfect cycle route. Lots of well-surfaced farm tracks, and the highway, (pretty empty) is always close by if you need to make up time. Coming from Australia you will be blown away by the ancient sites and Medieval architecture.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Hi Anita. I hired, and stayed at Triana Backpackers in Sevilla, (twice). You will find the VdlP a perfect cycle route. Lots of well-surfaced farm tracks, and the highway, (pretty empty) is always close by if you need to make up time. Coming from Australia you will be blown away by the ancient sites and Medieval architecture.
Thank you Peregrinopaul. I am planning on staying at Triana backpackers and also to rent a bike from them. I am finding it hard to focus in on a cycling guide and gps maps for this route. What do you recommend?

Thank you Peregrinopaul. I am planning on staying at Triana backpackers and also to rent a bike from them. I am finding it hard to focus in on a cycling guide and gps maps for this route. What do you recommend?
I very much enjoyed Triana Backpackers, (opinions are divided). I rented a bike from them on my first Camino, and had absolutely no issues. One thing though, they supplied one of those vey substantial bikelocks weighing about a kilo. I declined and stuck with my rather cheap, light combination lock. As long as you're sensible about not leaving the bike unattended for long periods it's ok. On my other Caminos I've had my own bike flown with me from Aus, (a hastle), and more recently use a bike I leave with my son in Europe.
I've never taken a guide: I use the IGN Spain Mapa Cartagrafica, which, in the case of my first Camino, the VdlP, I spent countless hours studying prior to the trip, at a very large scale. Here's a link. You'll find it addictive.
Select the carta topografica, and then the full screen button.
It can be a bit skittish. Its best to use the plus and minus buttons for zoom.
I suggest you centre in Sevilla, (or just north of it), and zoom in to about 1cm = 2 km scale. You'll see a purple line which denotes the Camino. That disappears at bigger scales, but the track is usually obvious. From this I basically devised my own route, sometimes using the main road.

Hello again Anita .......Well i was going to suggest the bike hire from Triana Backpackers Hostel but others have beat me too it . This hostel can be a bit noisy so do take ear plugs , they may help a little , but at least if you stay there you can adjust the bike to your liking and just go for a small ride in the evening to check the saddle height / handlebar position before you set of in the morning . The saddle bags they provide are" Ortlieb Rolltop" which are totally waterproof but i still pack my belongings in plastic rubbish bags to be on the safe side . These 2 saddle bags take about 40 ltrs of belongings, so i bought a cheap 40 ltr fold up nylon bag to transport my belongings from home and in that way i knew i could fit everything in the saddlebags .
As Peligrinopaul states ,maybe refuse the bike lock as it does weigh a lot . I took a cheap lock from home and took the saddle off as an extra measure when i thought it necessary ( only once in Ourense ).
Do take a pair of tweezers to remove any thorns etc from your tyres when you get a puncture , unless the puncture gods are kind to you .

I always use the "Pelegrino Online" app Via de la Plata PREMIUM , which costs about 2 euros from google playstore and the Sanabres Premium app ( also 2 euros ) .....lots of info about albergues , towns , routes, distances , bike repair shops etc and easy to download to your phone . I use no other guide .

As you enter Galicia in the North, the temperature can drop considerably and many albergues are not heated so i always take a sleeping bag ....better to have and not need than to need and not have .

Useful things i take .....6 cloths pegs .....suction type hook so i can take my valuables in the shower with me .....tiny torch so i dont disturb others at night ....A BELL for the hire bike ( most important to warn walkers of your approach ).......small bike lights to use in the rain mist etc .

OOOOh . i am in the zone now . maybe i should plan another last Camino o_O .

Hope this is of some help

Regards......John

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.

Regards....john
Hi Jony. I'm about to do the French Way on a bike for the first time. Beginning in St. Jean de Port on May 18. I've hire the service of Cominoways.com for bike rental and luggage transfers. I'm not sure I even know what questions to ask. What kind of apps do you suggest I download to my phone for help in terms of getting maps that might help me keep in the right route? I'm planning to begin on May 18, as mentioned above, and be in Santiago de Compostela on Jun 3...want to travel light, what kind of bike clothes might your recommend? ... what places to eat along the way? .... :) .
thanks, Meredith

Hello Meredith.....i hired a bike from Caminoways in 2018 and had good service from them , however, i thought that they did not deliver bikes to France ( St Jean Pied de Port ) , has this changed ?
As for apps you could download "French way premium " from play store which has lots of info , maps , including a bike specific section . It costs about 4 euros but is well worth it .
As for clothing , waterproofs for sure , but not a poncho on a bike , just lighweight waterproof trousers and jacket would be my choice ,along with normal cycle shorts and tops / tee shirts . Lightweight trousers and top for evening relaxing along with a fleece for chilly evenings . I am no expert you understand, but this is just what i would take . Cycle gloves are a must , with padded palms along with clear or very lightly tinted glasses as a fly in your eye is not that nice . As for eating ...just follow the crowds , and there are adverts , billposts along the way , so no problem there . You will find plata del dia and menu pelegrino adverts outside many many restaurants and in some albergues there is an evening meal offered .Only once did i stay in a village where i could not get any food but as i always carry some trail bars , cheese etc it was no hardship .

Enjoy your ride .....regards......John

G
I’m cycling Camino frances May 7 th do you have any recommendations for bike hire? MTB or hybrid ? Going minimal so will be taking my own pannier , helmet etc
Gilmour
I am cycling the VDLP, mid April to mid May. For bike rentals I would suggest Bike Iberia in Lisbon. They will deliver your bike to where you are starting and pick it up in Santiago. I used them in 2015 when I cycled Levant and am using them again this year. Great people.

Last edited:
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Wisely App is it useful for biking the Camino frances ? Got the cicerone book but it advises to have map as well . Will it give road as well as Camino route ?

HI Anita
I am flying into Seville airport on the 19th of April arriving at 3pm , as ihave been to Seville on a number of occasions i am proposing to build up my bike which im bringing from the UK and ride straight out of the airport , i am hoping to make it to Guillena .

As time is limited i am only cycling to Salamanca on this trip ,this is roughly halfway i have allowed myself a week to cover the journey , iam planning on sticking to the Camino route but if time and terrain mean im falling behind i will have to take to the roads.
I have the confraternity guide which seems very informative with maps etc and have spent lots of time looking at the route on you tube, mind you i think i may be obsessive about this as i have a history of trying to familiarise myself with a route before going anywhere.
I hope our paths cross at some point i will be riding an old Kona bicycle with a name sticker on it Rosinante . Please say hello if you are there, at the same time if not ,safe trip and Buen Camino

G

Gilmour
I am cycling the VDLP, mid April to mid May. For bike rentals I would suggest Bike Iberia in Lisbon. They will deliver your bike to where you are starting and pick it up in Santiago. I used them in 2015 when I cycled Levant and am using them again this year. Great people.
I hired a bike from BikeIberia to cycle the Via de la Plata last May. Unfortunately the hired bike did not arrive at my accommodation in Seville. When I called BikeIberia to inform them they blamed the delivery company for the non-delivery and they promised to deliver another bike within four days. However my plans didn't allow me to wait for four days and I had to buy a bike in a local Decathlon sports shop. To be fair to BikeIberia they refunded my hire cost promptly and contacted me to ensure that I had obtained a bike. All a bit stressful but everything worked out okay and I had a memorable camino.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I am planning/booked to cycle the VdlP in Mid April. There is supposed to be a cicerone MTB guide to the VdlP in 2020. However the release date may actually be April onward. I am planning to do 50KM stages so a relatively slow progression.

Most read last week in this forum

I have walked several caminos since 2013 and am hoping to experience the Primitivo in September. Recently I have developed a nasty intermittent pain in the ball of my feet, especially the left...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back