• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Cycling way of st Francis Florence to Rome

debra

Time of past OR future Camino
VdlP 2010, Frances 2010
Via Francigena 2014 bicigrino
Way of St. Francis 2017 bicigrino
hello

I have plans to cycle the way of st France from 23 Jan to 05 feb 2017 with a planned pace of 50 km a day. Would like to know if anyone has cycled this route. I plan to mainly follow the route in sandy brown's book with a few changes on Angela seracchioli book so I go to montecastle and sanctuary of greccio. As a year round bike commuter the winter cycling is no a problem, as the average temperature on the route should be same to a max of five degrees colder.
Is the pace of 50 km to fast to stop at sites, on a daily basis?
Also does anyone know about the mass schedule for the route or a good location to find it?

Thank you

Debra

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Hola - I walked this route earlier in the year when there was still snow on the ground. With a daily range of 50kms you will readily find accommodation. Evening Mass was also available in most places.

However you will not be able to follow the route from Florence to La Verna which Sandy Brown has devised for his guidebook. These days are off road mountain walking often on paths where you would not even be able to push up a bike. The road route to the Santuario La Verna is obvious.

From La Verna the route is much better waymarked - again there are sections imo unsuitable for bikes. However the route goes parallel to roads all of the way.

Buen Camino

John

thank you for your reply John and the information on evening Mass, Do you know what is the normal time to find evening mass? I believe that 5 or 6 pm is the normal.

Debra

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.

Most read last week in this forum

I have walked several caminos since 2013 and am hoping to experience the Primitivo in September. Recently I have developed a nasty intermittent pain in the ball of my feet, especially the left...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back