• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Cycling Wooded Paths on the Camino Portuguese Coastal Route

JoEllen

Time of past OR future Camino
We are cycling the Camino Portuguese in September. I have directions from our “outfitter” that follow the coastal route - not the shoreline route - similarly to Brierly’s guidebook and maps. In a few places, we are directed to “wooded” paths. I have successfully followed the coastal route as instructed on Google Maps, and do see a few areas that appear to be dirt paths through woods/trees. Google Maps does not provide a street view of those areas, so I have no idea if it is suitable for a hybrid bicycle. I’ve asked the question of the outfitter, but have not heard back yet. Has anyone done the Coastal Route on a hybrid bike? I also have gpx files for the shoreline route from someone who actually did the riding with route tracks that are near the beach but avoid the beach “hazards” that Brierly discusses. I’m thinking we’ll do the shoreline route with the gpx route/track, but in case we have to switch over (weather, wind, whatever) to the coastal, I’d like to have an idea about the wooded areas.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Hi,

I did it in May 2RT022?

No problems.

1659793332279.png

Can you indicate which sections. I may have a gpx file for these sections which was completed last October. There are others who have done it more recently and will have gpx files.

There is a long section between Vigo and Redondela which was fine (Hardtail). Flat with no ruts.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Can you indicate which sections. I may have a gpx file for these sections which was completed last October. There are others who have done it more recently and will have gpx files.

There is a long section between Vigo and Redondela which was fine (Hardtail). Flat with no ruts.
I have gpx files so I know where I’m going. I just can’t see the path so don’t know the condition for suitability for a hybrid bike. Sounds
Like others have done it and it’s okay. Thanks, though.

I plan to bike the route from Valenca to Santiago in early Oct . Is the route all paved ? What is the gradient of the hills ? Is a hybrid bike the best choice ?

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!

Most read last week in this forum

Hi everyone, I went on a short coastal Camino Portugues in March with my 11 year old son and wanted to share some of my experiences here. We walked a very small part of the Camino. We started...
Hi fellow pilgrims! I have walked 1450km over several years on the Camino Frances alone, without planning much. This year is going to be very different! I have convinced my mom to come with me. I...
Hi, arrived in Porto today starting the coastal camino on Friday! I just found out the hostel I am staying at does not allow pack pick up. Im walking to vila cha 1st day and physically I cannot...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back