• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Cycling

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Almost to the day, I did the identical thing in 2019. A great route; a great ride. PM me if you have any specific questions.

Wow!I totally will... Am apprehensive ! have done solo cycling trips in Ireland,first one abroad though

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Did you have all your accomodation booked ahead, did you rent a bike if so from who?? Were you happy with it? Whatwas the weather like?

Did you have all your accomodation booked ahead, did you rent a bike if so from who?? Were you happy with it? Whatwas the weather like?
1. No, I did not book accommodations ahead except in Sevilla and SdC. I had no problem finding beds in the albergues.
2. I rented my bike in Sevilla. I stayed and got my bike from the Triana Backpackers Hostel. It was a brand new front suspension hardtail mountain bike. Although I did have some gearing problems, I was able to get that fixed at a bike shop. So, overall, pleased. However, if I ride a Camino again, I will do some bike comparisons with places like Cycling Rentals or Bikeiberia.
3. Unfortunately, I was not expecting some unseasonable cold, wet weather in 2019. I came a little underdressed. However, I was to pick up some colder weather gear without much of a problem that solved the problem. By the time I hit Galicia, I was in shorts again.

How many days are you planning for your Camino?

Thanks for that information! I'm planning on perhaps 25 days or there abouts. I know some areas are quite remote, did you feel safe?

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Cool! I did the trip the other way and then took the ferry to Morocco but on road/with Brompton. I stayed mostly in inexpensive hotels. I began by searching Booking.com for availability and trying the hotels when I arrived but half the time they said they were full or wanted higher rates making it simpler to book a room on the app in the morning. On the whole, accommodation was easy bar for Salamanca which I hit on a festival weekend but I still found somewhere. I cycled through various thunderstorms and tried to cut days short in albergues but this was hit and miss as a number weren't open.

Some places are quite remote - I didn't feel unsafe but then I was on the road and although it was very quiet someone would have passed at some point. Bigger problem was heading into/out of Seville where I got hopelessly caught up in the traffic (thankfully slow-moving). Hope you have a fantastic time!

Cool! I did the trip the other way and then took the ferry to Morocco but on road/with Brompton. I stayed mostly in inexpensive hotels. I began by searching Booking.com for availability and trying the hotels when I arrived but half the time they said they were full or wanted higher rates making it simpler to book a room on the app in the morning. On the whole, accommodation was easy bar for Salamanca which I hit on a festival weekend but I still found somewhere. I cycled through various thunderstorms and tried to cut days short in albergues but this was hit and miss as a number weren't open.

Some places are quite remote - I didn't feel unsafe but then I was on the road and although it was very quiet someone would have passed at some point. Bigger problem was heading into/out of Seville where I got hopelessly caught up in the traffic (thankfully slow-moving). Hope you have a fantastic time!
Thanks so much for your reply, I'm trying to accumulate as much information as possible before my trip.. hoping it will make it a bit easier

I glad to hear you’re taking that much time. My big mistake was riding too far day after day. I rode the VDLP in 12 days without any breaks. Although I was in good enough shape for the ride, parts of it now seems like a blur. Following Brierely’s guidebook stages, I should have riden about two stages a day instead of three. Plus, there are a number of wonderful spots for rest days: Merida, Caceres, and Salamanca which I didn’t take advantage of.

Although there are some relatively long, sometimes isolated sections, I never felt uncomfortable. You also go for some long periods of time without seeing many other pilgrims. I did have the opportunity to ride with other bicigrinos from time to time. Maybe it was because I could go faster than walkers that the more isolated sections didn’t bother me.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I glad to hear you’re taking that much time. My big mistake was riding too far day after day. I rode the VDLP in 12 days without any breaks. Although I was in good enough shape for the ride, parts of it now seems like a blur. Following Brierely’s guidebook stages, I should have riden about two stages a day instead of three. Plus, there are a number of wonderful spots for rest days: Merida, Caceres, and Salamanca which I didn’t take advantage of.

Although there are some relatively long, sometimes isolated sections, I never felt uncomfortable. You also go for some long periods of time without seeing many other pilgrims. I did have the opportunity to ride with other bicigrinos from time to time. Maybe it was because I could go faster than walkers that the more isolated sections didn’t bother me.
I want to see & appreciate as much as possible, that's why I'm taking longer perhaps averaging 50kms per day. Starting early & arriving early. I'm 66yrs.. from Ireland..great with distance but not with speed

I want to see & appreciate as much as possible, that's why I'm taking longer perhaps averaging 50kms per day. Starting early & arriving early. I'm 66yrs.. from Ireland..great with distance but not with speed

Your intention of doing shorter distances is the right one. On my first Camino in 2012 at 67yrs my plan was 2 walkers’ stages per day off-road mostly. I enjoyed myself immensely, (except on the second day when I came unstuck on El Cavario, the notorious climb up the ridge into Almaden de la Plata - if you don’t know how to avoid it, I’m happy to advise). Like @Grousedoctor, I didnt book anything except Seville, and I too used Trianabackpackers for bike hire.
I can’t comment on the timing, as all my VdlP’s have been in June. I never felt unsafe, despite encountering few or no people on some sections - but then June is not a popular month on the Plata.

Thank you for now but I'm sure I will have a lot more questions the more I investigate!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Good luck with your plans and preparation. I rode the VDLP in Sept and really enjoyed it. Your timing looks good. I also probably went too quickly completing in 14 days so if I did it again (Spring next year!) I would take a bit more time. There are a lot of fantastic posts on this forum with links to great resources. Check out the cycling guide book by John Hayes https://www.cicerone.co.uk/cycling-the-ruta-via-de-la-plata and gronze.com for info on the walking stages and accommodation.

I followed the road route N630 pretty much the whole way from Seville to Gijon with a hybrid bike and couple of rear panniers and handlebar top bag. The off road route looked a bit more challenging and would have needed a sturdier bike and tyres. Apart from Seville I didn´t book ahead. Stayed mostly in Alberques plus couple of nights in hotels. I felt pretty safe apart from a couple of times entering and exiting major cities where traffic was much heavier.

Thank you for your information re VDLP. I have John Hayes book & have ordered the 2023 version of Gerald Kelly's guide to walking the VDLP. I'm sure I will have lots of questions in the next few months!

I found that the free app Mapy.cz was very helpful when riding the VDLP. Ifyou open the app to Sevilla, you’ll find the Camino as a blue line all the way to SdC. In addition to not worrying about missing Camino signs, it is most helpful getting in and out of cities or finding albergues. @Peregrinopaul is most correct about the tough ridge climb heading toward Almaden de la Plata.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Thank you, I had a look at that app you recommended & it certainly does look very helpful. I don't like the sound of that ridge before Almaden de la Plata!

I don't like the sound of that ridge before Almaden de la Plata!
Instead of following the walker track (black), which involves a left turn off the main track through the park, go straight on (red) until you reach the paved road which goes through a convenient gap in the ridge. No problem.
Screen Shot 2022-11-29 at 7.39.31 pm.jpeg

Thank you so much for that little detour! Don't fancy pushing a bike with panniers up that ridge

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
My goodness, I definitely want to detour from that experience. I have had one similar cycling experience ( not on the Camino) when I was close to tears with exhaustion, another cyclist came from nowhere, like an angel, he stayed with me for about 5kms them disappeared as quickly as he arrived. It was just enough to get be going again.

Most read last week in this forum

Hi My name is Saara. I am going on 22nd April and would like to know how to avoid the crowds in the last 5 stages. It seems to be a bit painful for those walking for 4 to 5 weeks to suddenly be...
Hello, everyone I am doing the camino de france next spring on a bike. It looks really rocky going down hill from Burguete. Is there a safer rought not going down the rocky path? Should I stay on...
Hi, First Camino ….and in fact first time on a forum chat! I am going to do a (leisurely!) trail from Porto to Santiago mixing Litoral/Coastal, Central and Spiritual over three weeks ( including 2...
I will arrive at SJDP 1st of May .. less than a month to go ! Any tips? Should I train walking with my backpack ?
Hi! I'm planning my first Camino in June-July 2025. I'm a married father of 3 looking forward to my first solo hiking trip in 25 years. (Maybe when the kids are older, we'll do the Camino as a...
Trying to plan a for beginning of August 2024, just watched The Way and got inspired! Any rate….I have a couple months to prepare. I have found a way known online as “Easy Camino Frances”...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back