• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Cyclist keeps going...

• Thread starter Deleted member 3000
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 3000

V.Silvan / Photos César Sánchez
A young berciano, Alberto Lopez, began in July Camino de Santiago special bike that will aim to end the Asian country, where he hopes to arrive within two years and after traveling 52,000 miles and 24 countries. Also broadcast the 2014 World Ponferrada.

Can the Camino de Santiago become an adventure in Thailand?.For the young berciano Alberto Lopez, yes ... and cycling.In mid-July special Jacobean Route began, which continued beyond Compostela and it will take you to the south and along the coast of the Iberian Peninsula, to cross Europe to make a stop in Stockholm and continue the journey across the continent Asia to reach the Land of the Thai.It will be in two years and after more than 52,000 kilometers and 24 countries visited.

"arose particularly after that I was fired, I was a welder, and I realized that while she found a new job did not want business as usual, wanted to experience something different, I have 32 years and I'm young, but I feel that I have lived many other things, "says Alberto. Thus, unemployment pushed him to do and as he planned Camino realized she wanted to go much further, to live the experience of crossing half the world only he with his bike and set a goal to end the Southeast Asian country attractive.

And while organizing the stages of the path he thought he could take advantage of the reach Santiago to stay on the coast and meet Portugal, "which last year had been wanting", and then came up with the idea to continue the Andalusian coast and lift."And at that point and when the route was drawing on the computer arrived in Barcelona I thought: I want to go to Thailand, I have a friend in Stockholm, why not tour Europe Stockholm towards home from this friend of mine, rest and I have a well-deserved vacation on the trip and then we crossed the entire northeastern Germany then and still to Asia and Thailand, "he says.

And so it began.First, research on the internet and realized that traveling by bike "is not so crazy" as he thought." Lots of people do, even for years, which is how I'm going to do," says Alberto, which provides that the trip will take about two years even though he knows that "you can stretch a little more. "The experience of these months doing the Camino de Santiago has taught him that time is relative and that the 15 or 20 days when he hoped to have made the journey to Compostela have become two months "and I still have stages."

A stop on the Camino

Alberto is these days between León and Ponferrada.It made a stop to approach family and friends say goodbye and get the recommended vaccines, except for malaria that put it on the road-and rehire again Oviedo itinerary within about a week. It has already done 2,200 kilometers which came with your bike trailer in July following the French Way in the opposite direction, from Leon to Burgos and Pamplona to begin and North Road, which runs along the coast from Irun.

"It has taken me longer because I did not know so many people that want to teach you things, and then I get to a city and I like and stop one, two or three days, until five or ten Zarautz I have come to be in Pamplona, "said Albert, who recalls that the city Navarre met Ian, a South African of 58, who had spent six months traveling around Europe. "He had a very crumpled up and run down, did not even know where to go traveling now and say he wore working life, without wife or children, and now was when I began to live," he says excitedly.

The traveler berciano faces his adventure if only budget, no money. "In Pamplona and I ran out of money," he says, while ensuring he could go ahead with the help of the people, which has given warm clothing and even food. "If not for these people that I encounter along the way, would not have come this far, without these people I will meet in the next places that I visit, I could not continue the journey," he adds.

'Warm showers'

In some cities, sleeping, uses a social network called 'Warm showers' (hot showers), which is a global exchange of hosting for cyclists. "When I come to a site looking a green to be and in some cities use that social network, consult it and send them a message to the person to explain that I want to stay in your home and if the city wants to teach me," explains Alberto.

Its operation is simple, people who can accommodate cyclists create an account on the site with your contact details and "from time to time a cyclist can visit them and share stories while enjoying something together," says its website, and also has smartphone app. "In Spain there are many people", he points out, "more than I thought, but is that in Europe there is a lot more to this community of travelers", are 20,711 people offering accommodation worldwide.

A bed, a sofa or just a garden to camp to become not only a place to spend the night, but in a "deeper" to see the city or the country you are visiting. "It's a different experience because those people does not teach the tourist stuff but you can come to understand how they live, how they move, what they think and how they really know the places and the people who live there," Alberto values.

They have also been very helpful the advice it receives from other travelers who have encouraged and taught to make crafts to take at least the money for food. Now make wire figures, from a pilgrim to a butterfly, to a spider, a scorpion or a marijuana leaf, but also learning to braid leather bracelets expand "catalog".

And your trailer

Alberto claims to be self-sufficient with your bike and trailer "Bob-Yack type", much more stable than the bags and avoid "shooting". "I've been around," he adds, from clothes to kit, spare parts and tools. Thus, although it had never crossed his mind to the possibility of traveling by bike, he realized it was an economical means of transportation and that gave him a lot of freedom.

"If I say I do not believe, but because of what I found on the Internet, there are many people who use to travel as other means of transportation, and I targeted the car with my bike and my trailer, "says this berciano, which also wants to put their two cents to the Global Cycling Promotion 2014 in Ponferrada, for what has already spoken with the Councillor for Sports, Sergio Garcia, and the vice mayor, Emilio Cubelos.

Now awaiting a response to see if you and facilitate sponsor logo wear championship to bear the name of Ponferrada to all those places you will take in the coming months. "I'm open to more sponsorships or if any company wants to be my sponsor", drops Alberto, who knows that the economy is a difficulty to be overcome, such as the language once they pass the Spanish border. "I have no idea of English or French or Portuguese, that is, the Spanish and English that sloppy over one speaks badly, but I'm not worried because I'm going to learn the hard way," says optimistic.

Your adventure continues in March and expects to reach the Swedish capital after crossing France, Belgium, Holland, northern Germany and into Sweden from Denmark. After spending time in "short break" in Stockholm, continue the journey traveling from north to south the German country, move to Switzerland, Italy, Greece and other European countries. Already in Asia, plans to enter China through Kazakhstan and across its vast territory to reach their destination, Thailand. "What I have not thought of yet is how to return," he says.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc

Most read last week in this forum

I requested a Mass to be offered with the botafumerio from the Cathederal for May 27th. Here is the update from the Cathederal: “We are contacting you to inform you that unfortunately the...
Does Ivan's place close for siesta or dinner? Trying to sort how to get my stored luggage and I know places close in Spain even when their doors say the hours they are open. Are we supposed to...
Anyone from the forum working in the Pilgrim’s Office May 1-14? We’ll be walking two Caminos and will say hi if you are!

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.