• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Cyclists - an apology!

JohnnieWalker

Nunca se camina solo
Hola

In an earlier thread I gave vent to some frustrations and I would like to apologise for that. Following a season when a significant number of very large cycling groups arrived and were somewhat difficult to deal with I advanced an argument that pilgrims on bicycles were not as historically authentic as walking pilgrims.

I was wrong and I would like to thank my many Camino friends who have emailed me, some attaching lycra clad photographs of themselves. Thanks also fellow pilgrims for the advertisements I have received for bicycles and cycling gear.

The truth is that although the practice of issuing the Compostela to pilgrims can be traced back several hundred years the requirement that the pilgrimage to Santiago should be a long distance physical journey is very modern. The now questionable "100 kms rule" which was only introduced in the 1980's is an expression of that.

My own definition of pilgrimage is "time set apart from normal life for a journey to a holy place". Therefore according to that definition all travellers motivated by that goal are pilgrims, if they so define themselves. My other motto has always been not to stick my nose into anyone else's pilgrimage. I broke my own rule.

A wise pilgrims advised me to cycle one of the routes with a pilgrim heart and see what it is like to be treated as less than a pilgrim by others. Well, I am going to do just that and I will shut up on this subject until then.

Peace!

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
A selection of Camino Jewellery
Thanks. From a middle aged man who tries not to wear too much lycra.

The funny thing is that the young men here wear long baggy shorts over their lycra because even though they are trim and good looking, fashion forbids them from going out in public in anything less than a flappy and-in the-way version of culottes. It is only in the wisdom of old age that comfort and practicality win out over vanity.

Go forth, proudly in your cycling garb!

PS There is actually a website on the theme

old guys.JPG

Last edited:
Procedamus in pace.

Some of the "long distance men" are unhappy that they're now being joined by people at Sarria who will also receive a Compostela. Just like yourself with the cyclists, I was also annoyed for a while. Then I remembered the parable of the workers in the vineyatd. I'm now rejoicing to see that so many people will be with me in Santiago.

Hola
My own definition of pilgrimage is "time set apart from normal life for a journey to a holy place". Therefore according to that definition all travellers motivated by that goal are pilgrims, if they so define themselves. My other motto has always been not to stick my nose into anyone else's pilgrimage. I broke my own rule.

Very nice post, JW.
I have tried to remember that every peregrino starts out with the same joys in their heart and fears in their gut, no matter the route or method of conveyance.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
You were never wrong! Anything on wheels should be on the highway, not on dirt paths, No love lost on bikers last year when they always beat the walkers to the albergues and got the beds first.

I must admit, I was fairly impressed with those bicyclers going up the paths from St. Jean to Roncesvalles. I could barely walk it, and these guys were pushing bikes uphill with their leg power. Their bicycles may allow for faster travel, but cyclists work just as hard as walkers do.

Watching those trim, speedo-clad men riding away from me was rather inspirational and put a smile on my face.

Thank you for reminding me, Johnnie Walker!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Music to my ears.
A few things I would like to say.
As I have written in a previous post, my motive for using a bike comes from physical necessity. My arthritic knees, after two operations, simply won't allow me to walk more than a km or so at a time, and certainly not with a load on my back. Because cycling involves no impact to the joints, I'm fine provide that I don't overdo it. As a result I have been able to complete 2 caminos, with third coming up in a month or so. As far as I'm concerned I am a genuine pilgrim in every sense, (as a Catholic) and I deeply resent being considered otherwise.
I do not consider myself to be a cyclist, or to use that other term I personally hate, biker. I'm simply an old guy on a bike.
I now wear lycra shorts, not out of vanity, but because the inbuilt padding successfully combats saddle-sores, (just as debilitating as blisters on your feet).
I understand how a pilgrim walking would be annoyed by cyclists inconsiderately speeding by, and I do try to avoid that.
Sorry if I sound like I'm having a whinge. I have not so far been treated as anything but a genuine pilgrim while ON Camino. It's just on the forum that I pick up the negative stuff. I'm probably being over-sensitive.
So, thanks for your post, JW.

[...] A wise pilgrims advised me to cycle one of the routes with a pilgrim heart and see what it is like to be treated as less than a pilgrim by others. Well, I am going to do just that and I will shut up on this subject until then. Peace!
I'm too old to find out what it's like, but I look forward to reading about your experience after you have done "just that".:D

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Johnny you are forgiven.
Although I am reminded of the Australian Public Service Dept saying - to err is human; to forgive Divine; but not the policy of this Dept.

As related before I am one of those "lycra" fools - who for comfort and public safety wears a pair of baggies. The pockets come in handy for all those things that you don't want to search the panniers for. See you in SDC in late Sept/early Oct for glass of whatever you choose. Cheers

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I must admit, I was fairly impressed with those bicyclers going up the paths from St. Jean to Roncesvalles.

Watching those trim, speedo-clad men riding away from me was rather inspirational and put a smile on my face.
!

It is a good way to stay in shape. The one in yellow is a 60 year old lady. I married that one.

roncevaux.JPG

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I agree with Capt Buddy. We are all worthy of respect and probably all guilty of annoying others. I cannot stand people dawdling on a path and those who walk in the road cos they're on holiday - but I do exactly the same!! I think lycra is a crime against good taste - but I wear it when cycling! If I meet someone on a path when I am cycling I give the walker precedence. If I meet someone walking when I am walking - I give them precedence. My mother brought me up to leap into the gutter when passing anyone older than me, or someone with a pram, buggy or wheelchair - I have been run over often...

Cheers Johnnie and thank you for your fantastic opening post. It would be a privilege if Saint Mike II and I could meet up with you for a drink in Santiago.
Best wishes -
Jenny

The funny thing is that the young men here wear long baggy shorts over their lycra because even though they are trim and good looking, fashion forbids them from going out in public in anything less than a flappy and-in the-way version of culottes. It is only in the wisdom of old age that comfort and practicality win out over vanity.

Go forth, proudly in your cycling garb!

PS There is actually a website on the theme

View attachment 17667
Great cartoon! What is that website please? I'm doing a research thesis on the Camino, and especially issues around what are "true" and "authentic" pilgrims.

Thanks
Kristine

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Well, I'm heading for the Ruta del Ebro in a fortnight's time - and will be surprised to see another pilgrim let alone a cyclist!
Cyclists are fine by me, as long as they warn me of their coming, and give me time to hop over the hedge ;)
Keep your eyes open as you may see us. We're doing the Camino Ignaciano, which is against your direction for a long distance. We're in Calahorra now, if you are not that far yet. Buen Camino.

Keep your eyes open as you may see us. We're doing the Camino Ignaciano, which is against your direction for a long distance. We're in Calahorra now, if you are not that far yet. Buen Camino.
Only just started Michael. Now in Sant Carles, tomorrow Amposta
Burn Camino amigo!

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Last year, my wife, Jane, and I bicycled the Camino from Barcelona to Santiago. At least that was the plan, we only made it to Leon. She had a bad crash and needed surgery on her knee. She was able to walk okay, after a few days, so we took a bus to Lisbon and walked that Camino. We had already walked the Frances Camino in 2013.

To be honest, we both found the bicycle Camino to be much more difficult than the walking one. It turns out that, from Barcelona, there is a steady headwind all the way to Logroño and it was severe when we rode it. I recall one morning where we were attempting to go down a very long downhill and had to shift into our lowest gear and pedal. If we stopped pedaling, we would come to a complete stop. This went on for miles and we finally pulled into a hostel after 7 miles/11 km. I prefer to travel by bicycle, but I have to admit the Camino is easier, at least on that route, by walking.

I don't mind the bike riders that are courteous and signal when passing, especially those with bells. There are a few idiots out there and they can ruin your day. In Portugal we met a German pilgrim that was all beat up. On her first day on the Camino there, a bicyclist collided with her, no warning of course. She ended up with stitches and was all black and blue. Be careful out there, no matter the method of travel.

The bottom line is: we're all doing our Caminos, lets just get along and be on our best behavior.

And I was terrified when a group of Asian bikers came rushing down the path to Roncesvalles 3 years ago! wouldn't have done that for all the money in the world! Myself I' looking forward to get on the bike some years from now, starting in Frederikshavn, Denmark, aiming at Santiago de Compostela, which will at least take a couple of months each direction. :)

Johnnie, it can be hard for hikers and cyclists to realise that we're all pilgrims, and not two entirely separate groups.

The first time I realised that was back in '94, and I did my first 65K hike out of Burgos -- a couple of cyclists did the same stage that day, and I had exchanges with another group over a whole 24-hour period, though they went further than the 65.

In '14 I also had a great exchange with a young French cyclist who was on the return way back home from Santiago.

The first was possible because I hiked unusually fast ; the second because this was a cyclist who knew when to slow down. ;)

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
A part of my definition of a pilgrimage is somewhat meditational (though only in theory since I never walked). I found out though that cycling for me wasn't meditational at all; I was listening to my body, enjoying the views, concentrating on not crashing, giving silent apologies to my bike for the maltreatment, trying not to get lost etc. I imagine that walkers occupy their minds with less earthen issues?

I haven't been frowned upon by walkers as far as I can tell, but I'm a bit thick sometimes and cannot compare to how walkers experience other pilgrim's company. We met really great people along our route.

Most read last week in this forum

Ivan. I believe I can rent two bikes through you between Burgos and Leon. Can you let me know if this is possible? I plan to arrive in Burgos on 11 May and start cycling the next day. Thanks
Plan to cycle between Burgos and Leon over three or four days. Are there any interesting detours between these two cities that would take up a 4th day?
I Willl start biking from SJPD on 9.may with Ebike. I have a list of bike friendly albergs is there somebody who have experience with charging batery in such alberg. Do i need afdition 220v...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back