• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

D Day Approaches

Thomas77

Trouper
Time of past OR future Camino
26 June 2018
As D Day approaches starting tomorrow so does anxiety creep in. Has anyone recently made the trip from Santiago SDC airport to the ALSA bus stand taken the bus to Valenca do Minho and from there crossed over to Tui to commence the Camino?

From previous threads taxis are available to the ALSA bus stand. We have bus bookings from Santiago to Valenca do Minho. When one reaches there does one walk across to Tui ? Well both Spain and Portugal have their world cup games on at the same time tomorrow! Feedback from recent travellers will be appreciated.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Hello @Thomas77 haven't made the trip from the airport but did make the short (approx. 15 minutes, less if you are departing from the Fortaleza) walk from Valenca do Minho over the bridge to Tui, having stayed the previous night at the excellent and cheap Residencial Portas do Sol in the old part of Valenca. I am sure that taking a taxi would be a needless expense and it would deprive you of what was for me and my fellow pilgrim's child-like thrill of standing at the halfway point of the bridge with one foot in Portugal and the other in Spain Bom Caminho/Buen Camino!

standing at the halfway point of the bridge with one foot in Portugal and the other in Spain Bom Caminho/Buen Camino!

I did this in Hendaye/Irun and it was spectacular, having one foot in two countries is a mind bending experience.

Enjoy!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
The matches are both scheduled to start 19:00 Portuguese time (20:00 Spanish time). The walk thru Valença to Tui is lovely. Make sure you you try a pastel de nata while still in Valença.

We have bus bookings from Santiago to Valenca do Minho. When one reaches there does one walk across to Tui ?

Hi, if you are getting the bus FROM Santiago TO Valenca, you can get off in Tui (spelt Tuy on the Alsa website). It is a scheduled bus stop on that route. The bus stops on the main road, at the end of the road that leads to the Parador, before the bus then continues to cross the bridge into Valenca.
Jill

Santiago SDC airport to the ALSA bus stand taken the bus to Valenca do Minho

The bus from Santiago to Valenca starts at the bus station in Santiago. It does not go anywhere near the airport. There is an airport bus every half hour from the airport to the bus station. There is no need to get a taxi.
Jill

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
The bus from Santiago to Valenca starts at the bus station in Santiago. It does not go anywhere near the airport. There is an airport bus every half hour from the airport to the bus station. There is no need to get a taxi.
Jill
Thank you Jill Much appreciated.

Hello @Thomas77 haven't made the trip from the airport but did make the short (approx. 15 minutes, less if you are departing from the Fortaleza) walk from Valenca do Minho over the bridge to Tui, having stayed the previous night at the excellent and cheap Residencial Portas do Sol in the old part of Valenca. I am sure that taking a taxi would be a needless expense and it would deprive you of what was for me and my fellow pilgrim's child-like thrill of standing at the halfway point of the bridge with one foot in Portugal and the other in Spain Bom Caminho/Buen Camino!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Jill the bus from the airport @ EUR3 per head was very efficient worked like magic. Thank you for the recommendation took the bus service back to the airport too.
On the ALSA bus from SDC to Valenca do Minho the driver said that though he passed through Tui as per company regulations he could not drop us off in Tui (Spain) but only in VdM (Portugal). We were resigned to a slightly longer walk from VdM as we were determined to cross the bridge on foot. When we reached Tui three other gentlemen also wanted to alight at Tui so he dropped all five of us off. The next morning we walked to the bridge for a foot in each country experience.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.

Most read last week in this forum

I would like to walk the river route in Tui next month. I can see on google maps exactly where it starts, but it seems a bit overgrown. Has anybody used this route this year or last year...
Hello, my friend of 50+ years and I are on our first Camino walk. We are looking for: 1) safe, comfortable hostels in Lisbon; 2) stages from Lisbon to Porto (via Tomar) in about 16 days...
Hi I have searched everywhere to see if there is a luggage service from Lisbon to Porto. I know there is from Porto to Santiago, but Lisbon ???. Thanks for any info.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back