• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

D o I need to Pre-Book my Bus Ticket from Madrid to Pamplona

BryanBailey

Time of past OR future Camino
May 2017
I am arriving at Madrid Airport(Terminal 1) at 9:50 AM on May 17. I hope to catch the 10:45 AM bus to Pamplona. Is this typically enough time? Are these buses typically full? The next bus doesn't leave until 3:15 PM and gets to Pamplona too late to catch the bus to St. Jean.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
No you don't have enough time to catch the 1045 bus.

Even supposing the plane arrives on time ... that's typically the time the plane touches the runway.

It will take at least a half hour to get from your seat on the plane to the end of the security zone of the airport. Customs is a mugs game ... no reasonable time estimate can be determined. Baggage can add another half hour.

Then you have to get to the bus terminal at T4 ... which might be possible if your plane arrives at T4 ... however, the bus closes the door and moves at 1045 ... you have to be on it by then.

All of the direct to Pamplona PLM Autocares buses and all of the ALSA buses to Pamplona (via Soria) leave from Madrid Intercambiador de Avenida de America. There are buses hourly. Only some of the buses call at the airport.

So if you don't catch the 1045 bus ... a likely event ... instead of waiting for the next bus, go to Avenida de America. Take EMT Madrid bus #200 from one of several stops at the airport to Avenida de America where it terminates.

No you don't have to buy a ticket in advance. There are several buses daily and anecdotally they are not often full except for holidays. There might be some savings to be had by purchase in advance ... but as we have discussed ... there is no knowing if your plane will get you there on time.

Aena Madrid Airport
http://www.aena.es/en/madrid-barajas-airport/index.html

EMT Madrid #200
http://www.emtmadrid.es/Bloques-EMT/EMT-BUS/Mi-linea-(1).aspx?linea=200&lang=es-ES

PLM Autocares
http://plmautocares.com/

ALSA
https://www.alsa.es/en/home

Estacion de Autobuses Pamplona
http://www.estaciondeautobusesdepamplona.com/Inicio.aspx.html

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you this is very helpful. I didn't think that there was much of a chance. I won't have any checked luggage, but too many unknowns. I'llget to Pamplona after the last bus to St. Jean Jean has departed, take a taxi to St. Jean or spend the night in Pamplona and catcha bus in the morning.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Thank you this is very helpful. I didn't think that there was much of a chance. I won't have any checked luggage, but too many unknowns. I'llget to Pamplona after the last bus to St. Jean Jean has departed, take a taxi to St. Jean or spend the night in Pamplona and catcha bus in the morning.

There is no bus from Pamplona to SJPdP in the morning. First bus is 1430.

If you can't get to Pamplona in time to catch 1730 bus ... go to San Sebastian. Take Renfe Cercanias to Irun. Taxi to Gare d'Hendaye. SNCF Train to Bayonne. SNCF train to SJPdP.

First train from Hendaye leaves at 0440. First train from Bayonne leaves 0745. That makes overnight in Irun or Bayonne viable.

Why not try and catch the 12h30 train Madrid-Pamplona? Maybe cutting it a bit fine, but it only takes 20 mins or so to get to Madrid Atocha station on the C1 airport commuter line (departures every 15 mins). Your train would arrive in Pamplona at 16h06 which should give you enough time to catch the 17h30 bus to Saint Jean Pied de Port.

Why not try and catch the 12h30 train Madrid-Pamplona? Maybe cutting it a bit fine, but it only takes 20 mins or so to get to Madrid Atocha station on the C1 airport commuter line (departures every 15 mins). Your train would arrive in Pamplona at 16h06 which should give you enough time to catch the 17h30 bus to Saint Jean Pied de Port.

Train leaves 1135. He hasn't time.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Train leaves 1135. He hasn't time.

Well spotted whariwharangi! Sorry for confusion: there isn't a direct train at that time but you can go Madrid-Zaragoza (12h30-13h45) and then Zaragoza-Pamplona (14h14-16h04). In Zaragoza it's just a matter of changing platforms, from what I remember it's all on one level, easy peasy.

Well spotted whariwharangi! Sorry for confusion: there isn't a direct train at that time but you can go Madrid-Zaragoza (12h30-13h45) and then Zaragoza-Pamplona (14h14-16h04). In Zaragoza it's just a matter of changing platforms, from what I remember it's all on one level, easy peasy.

It used to be the website would give schedules that included a transfer like this ...

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Great idea. Do I have to buy two separate tickets? I'm over 60 so I qualify forthe senior discount card (Tarjeta Dorado Card)'

I don't know.

My guess is that since the ticket cannot be purchased as one online ... you'd have to buy them separately at the station too.

I am more than somewhat surprised that the website doesn't show this option when searching Madrid to Pamplona ... so I can only suggest that you are flexible when purchasing tickets.

In case things go really pear-shaped (such as having to line up to purchase your second ticket in Zaragosa) ... CONDA (ALSA) operates buses from Zaragosa to Pamplona too.

Last edited by a moderator:

Most read last week in this forum

I have just popped my Targeta Dorada (Golden Ticket) in my packing box. They cost €12 and cannot be bought online, but can be renewed online. If journeying too or from the Camino on Spanish trains...
Hi there i'm a first time Camino walker - planning for Sept this year. I have a question if anyone can help. We are going with friends but we can't fly out at the same time so we are going to fly...
Hi everyone! I would greatly appreciate your suggestions for the best summer beaches in Galicia that are easily accessible by car or bus from Santiago de Compostela. Thanks!
I begin my first Camino in mid-May from SJPdP. Due to time constraints related to available PTO, I unfortunately have to skip a few towns along the way if I am to start in SJPdP and end in...
Hi - I've been waiting to book 2 June from Santiago dC to Madrid - finally the tickets are out! Funnily enough the luxury seats were cheaper than economy seats, so I took one.
We are leaving May 4th for the Camino, starting in Ponferrada. I tried online to book the Correos Pac Monchila luggage transfer service and it provided a drop down list box of specific...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back