• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

DAFT QUESTIONS

AndyF

Having done some planning over the last few months I have realised there are still a few things I don't know (long may it stay that way, what would I do with myself if there were nothing new to learn)

Rest days - Can you stay in the same albergue two nights - or do you have to move on? :?:

SdC - what happens when you get there ??? (you get a free meal and the Compostela ??)

Language - I speak some very basic Spanish - I understand in Galicia a local version is spoken , will I be understood (I am good at waving, shouting , pointing and gesturing like all Brits)

Food - after I walk a long way I always need to eat well afterwards - sure I can take snacks along route (slightly tricky because I avoid bread ) but can I get a slap up menu del dia en route :?: (Triacastela - SdC)

apologies if these seem really daft :oops:

Buen camino

Andy F

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Hi Andy,

Can you stay in the same albergue two nights - or do you have to move on?

Move on, unless u have a health prob, or, in the event of a private albergue, talk with the owner(s) and reach some kind of agreement. On the other hand, pending upon availability (or reason), they may let u stay longer. I know of a fellow in Burgos who had been staying at the albergue there for a days bec he had lost his passport.

SdC - what happens when you get there ??? (you get a free meal and the Compostela ??)

:lol: That's up to u-freetime!

U can go all the way to the Cathedral's facade, located at the Praza de Obradoiro, and have a good look at the place where u've been wanting to get to during ur walk for however long it'll take u. Can be very emotional my friend. It means the end of that portion of the Camino. Then, visit the cathedral, perhaps do some rites, like with the column at the Portico de la gloria, hug the statue of James at the altar, and more.

It'll be easy to find the Oficina del peregrino, where u can obtain ur Compostela, just ask people around the cathedral.

U may want to stop at "Casa Manolo," THE pilgrims' restaurant par excellence. Good meal, very nice, modern, restaurant, fairly cheap. There r many other good restaurants in/around Santiago. One I like is called "El asesino," it's got its own very interesting history & good food. I also like the "Cafe azul" in the old section of town.

Compostela is a beautiful place, a lot to see there, like churches, museums (Museum of Pilgrimages and and Art Museum r my favorites), and more. Then there may be concerts, depending on what time of the year u go, and more. U may want to take tours to neighboring sites, like the beautiful Rias Altas or Baixas, towns, cities, like La Coruña, Betanzos, Portugal, etc.

The free meal u can get at the Hospital de los Reyes Catolicos, on the Praza d'Obradoiro, in front the cathedral, to the right. If I remember correctly they take only 10 for lunch, 10 for dinner. U go through the kitchen. The food is great and free.

:lol: Galego is the language in Galicia, with its own grammar, and written lit. Manuel Rivas and Souza de Toro are two modern Galego writers I like. There may be English-language translations of their work. Songs in Galego are beautiful, sample some of the CDs in record shops. Everyone speaks Spanish in Compostela.

)Glorious) food and good hearty meals at the end of journeys should not be a prob, I feel/do likewise.

apologies if these seem really daft

Not at all, we r all learning.

Buen Camino,

xm 8)

Basic Spanish (apparently it's more correct, these days, to call it Castilian or Castellano) will get you where you need to go in Galicia. Galician is not hard to read if you have Spanish, and is a lot like Portuguese. Awful Castilian, spoken with friendliness, courtesy and a smile, will get you a long ways in Spain.

I'm not sure what you meant exactly by a slap-up menu de dia !! The menu de peregrino is generally more basic than the menu de dia which provides more choice and greater quality (in 2005, 6-10 Euros for the menu de peregrino, and 8-15 Euros for the menu de dia). I have always felt that Spanish cooking was worth the extra, if it can be managed (and, over 30 days, it often can't be). Plato combinados were a good and effective source of fuel for those who like an English-breakfast sort of meal.

Often peregrinos will cook a meal together in an albergue when there is a kitchen, and my best meal memories on the Camino involve pasta with mystery sauce and a salad.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Spanish for the Daft 101 :wink:

Buen Camino (to everyone wearing a pack or riding a bike)

Buenos dias (before noon) to all locals, esp the elderly
Buenas tardes (after 12p & before dinner)
Buenas noches (dinner & after)

Gracias (Thank you, esp to those who wish you Buen Camino)
Por favor (please)

Dios le beniga (God bless you, say to every local who does you a favor, like a ride into town when you´re tired, or free cab fare to get your mochillo, etc)

Usted habla ingles? (Say BEFORE you natter on in English--trust me on this one)ç

I´ve found that most people know some English, but also French. Sometimes, I´ve carried on conversations in all 3 languages at the same time.

Pointing, esp when buying food in a store, is very helpful.

Banana is banana
Naranja is orange
Manzana is apple
Mandarines is Mandarine orange or Tangerine :D
Agua is water

Essential, esp for xm: Cafe con Leche. If you want black coffee, say cafe solo.

Brush up on your numbers in Spanish. Anything over 10, they will write down for you, but you should master 1-10.

Sometimes you have to pantomime....took me 15 minutes to get bandage tape yesterday because I didn´t have a clue as to what tape is in Spanish. The chemist & I had fun with that one. :D

dg

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Oh no, mi amiga...I luv cafe c leche con churros, in Madrid, Santiago, Miami , and ... :lol: Best, xm 8)

Also in Madrid you can try "porras" they are like churros but bigger.
And if you are in London you can find this in Queensway

churreyu2.jpg

Or when u get to Santiago, hit one of the "Iacobus cafe," they have, in my opinion, great churros which u can have with ur hot chocolate or my cafe con leche! Best, xm 8)

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back