• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Daily budget in 2022 on the CF

JustJack

Time of past OR future Camino
CF: May/June 2023
VDLP: April/May 2024
I know there are lots of discussions about costs, and I'm probably being a bit lazy not fully searching this site, but at a glance most of the posts are from previous years, and I'm interested in the most up-to-date info available.

Just wondering what a reasonable daily budget would be for the CF in spring 2023, taking into account the following:

- dorm room accommodation 5-6 nights/week. Mixture of municipal and private
- private room in albergue or cheap hotel/pension 1-2 nights/week
- simple typical breakfasts of coffee, juice, pastry or tortilla
- simple lunches at cafes or from supermarkets
- pilgrim dinners or menu of the day dinners
- a variety of drinks/snacks each day, such as canned soda and beer (maybe a couple a day)
- walking solo, for around 45 days

Would an average daily budget of €75 be reasonable? Understanding that some days will be higher and some lower.

Last edited:
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
Just walked in April and May, 40 nights. Pretty sure 75€ was mainly too much, except for when I got to Santiago.
Most albergues were between 8-15€, with a couple of them being more because they offered breakfast too. Breakfast was usually 5€. I am a grazer all day, rather than sitting down for a lunch, choc. croissant here, tortilla there, bocadilla with cheese & ham perhaps. Dinner was usually 11-15€. Private beds ran about 25-35€ in a hotel. If you can share a room with someone, it lowers the price a lot. Sharing washers lowered laundry costs if there were washers available.
I would say my average was 40€ per day, except for those rare occasions with private beds. (I think 6 nights where I had a private room or shared a room) Had a cold twice, so had private rooms for 3 nights for those. Not a drinker, so save money there.

I know there are lots of discussions about costs, and I'm probably being a bit lazy not fully searching this site, but at a glance most of the posts are from previous years, and I'm interested in the most up-to-date info available.

Just wondering what a reasonable daily budget would be for the CF in spring 2023, taking into account the following:

- a variety of drinks/snacks each day, such as canned soda and beer (maybe a couple a day)

Would an average daily budget of €75 be reasonable? Understanding that some days will be higher and some lower.

Hi, I was on the Camino Frances walking through the Meseta (getting there gradually each year!) starting in Burgos in October 2022.

My expenses were along the lines of the following;

- dorm room accommodation 5-6 nights/week. Mixture of municipal and private…. (approx €12 per night)
- private room in albergue or cheap hotel/pension 1-2 nights/week…, (approx €40 per night - mix of Alberge & cheap hotel)
- simple typical breakfasts of coffee, juice, pastry or tortilla… (approx €4 per day)
- simple lunches at cafes or from supermarkets.:: (for example sandwich with coffee approx €5 per day)
- pilgrim dinners or menu of the day dinners … (approx €12 per day)
- a variety of drinks/snacks each day, such as canned soda and beer (for me… about €5 per day incl fruit/nuts… couple of beers etc)

So you can do it all day long for circa €40 per day… a little more (more in line with your budget) if opting for a private room….

Buen Camino! :)

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Agree with all that's been posted. My wife and I completed the Frances in late September, 34 days with 5 rest days. Private accommodation pre booked all the way with daily expenses averaged 100-120e per day a couple. So 75 would well cover it all with change.

In March I was

In March i gave myself a budget of 50€ a day over the 32 days on the camino Frances so on the 7th day I found that I had spent far less so treated myself to a private en suite at a pension , feeling the need of being on my own and getting an early night , however it could be more expensive now with the cost of living etc which is affecting every country ..looking back when I return to do it again I may do stealth camping for 6 nights a week and rest up in a pension for one night .

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-

I completed my Camino SOLO (May/June 2022) from SJPP , 34 days of walking on the Camino plus 6 rest /sight seeing days in Pamplona, Logrono,Burgos, Leon ,Sahagun and Sarria .. with a wee bit careful, I was able to stay around average of 75 Euros a day, nothing fancy , all pre booked private albergues , few nights was alone in the private rooms ,
Looking back I don`t think I needed extra days in Sarria and Sahagun,
only thing I missed to see of the swinging of the BOTAFUMEIRO, in the St James Cathedral in SDdC.
Someday will try again .
I’m also 72 and in decent health, not good knees and don’t how much times have left,
Just Enjoy 😊 your Camino walk. !!
without worrying about $s and cents..
after a while there will be ,
nothing but Happy memories of Your Camino.
You will forget the money spend on your Walk.
Be well,
Cheers
Buen Camino, 🇨🇦

To celebrate the daily achievement with a bottle of Champagne the 75 Euros a bit tight

Just back from the Ingles, where we both got Covid and had to spend a week quarantining in a private room. make sure you have the ability to cover some unexpected expenses.
Bless at least you both back home safely , good thing it is only a short Camino , I did it in 2014 over 6 days but must say the Frances route was very lovely and hope to return soon

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I'm with @Tincatinker - budget for as much as you can.... and then be pleasantly surprized at all the money you saved ;)

On a serious note - mine was May-June 2022 and I do believe I was well within €40/day on the average
that included bunks\beds in albergues, 4 private rooms, 4-5 meals a day and moving the luggage forward....
and whatever money i spent on treating darn blisters (so if you don't get any - there is another saving for ya!)
Good Luck and Buen Camino!!!

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I had to google that. Had never heard of it before. Sounds refreshing!
Yup\
didnt know the thing existed until i went on Camino. In Puerta la Reina some of my fellow Pilgrims asked me if I had tried the "Lemon Beer" yet when i ordered my beloved Estrella. I said No...and that was a beginning of a beautiful love relationship. I was just ordering Lemon Servesa from that moment on and then someone said Oh yeah - Radler! And that's how I found out that "it has a name". The most common one bottled that I saw was Amstel but there are others
Quite hard to get it here in US - at least in my neck of the woods though. Shanties are not quite same....
Beautiful thing after a hard and hot day's walk

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Yup\
didnt know the thing existed until i went on Camino. In Puerta la Reina some of my fellow Pilgrims asked me if I had tried the "Lemon Beer" yet when i ordered my beloved Estrella. I said No...and that was a beginning of a beautiful love relationship. I was just ordering Lemon Servesa from that moment on and then someone said Oh yeah - Radler! And that's how I found out that "it has a name". The most common one bottled that I saw was Amstel but there are others
Quite hard to get it here in US - at least in my neck of the woods though. Shanties are not quite same....
Beautiful thing after a hard and hot day's walk
According to Wikipedia the Radler was first sold in 1922 at a very famous restaurant closeby Munich. Reason should have been that beer runs out and therefore was mixed with lemonade. As Munich and surrounding villages are famous for beer this story makes sense. Come to Munich and try. At world famous Beerfest in Munich this Radler is available as well

Ah my wife just came back from business trip in Munich.... but that most likely does not have anything to do with Daily budget in 2022 on the CF

;)

If you are able to budget €75 per day you should be fine. We budget €150 -175 a day for two persons. Sharing a private room, mostly in small hotels, Casa Rurals In May, most of the rooms, already booked on Booking.com will average around €60 -75per day, except in SdC. If you can stay in hotels some cities on weekdays M-TH, they are often less expensive than weekends on the CF. we also eat a sit down main meal daily, either del dia or off the menu and do splurge on occasion. We usually eat supper in our room and breakfast on the way. The two smaller meals run us 20-25 euros in toto for two.

If you are traveling in the Spring and are on the Camino on May 1st be aware that certain towns raise their prices significantly, e.g. Ponferrada, where private rooms often double. That weekend from Astorga to Ponferrada beds usually fill up early in the small towns as well. Therefore if in this area, then, book ahead!

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
If you are able to budget €75 per day you should be fine. We budget €150 -175 a day for two persons. Sharing a private room, mostly in small hotels, Casa Rurals In May, most of the rooms, already booked on Booking.com will average around €60 -75per day, except in SdC. If you can stay in hotels some cities on weekdays M-TH, they are often less expensive than weekends on the CF. we also eat a sit down main meal daily, either del dia or off the menu and do splurge on occasion. We usually eat supper in our room and breakfast on the way. The two smaller meals run us 20-25 euros in toto for two.

If you are traveling in the Spring and are on the Camino on May 1st be aware that certain towns raise their prices significantly, e.g. Ponferrada, where private rooms often double. That weekend from Astorga to Ponferrada beds usually fill up early in the small towns as well. Therefore if in this area, then, book ahead!
When I done my last two camino frances
in 2010/2015 I got by on €20 -35 most days, i somewhere to sleep each night food in my belly and also had a few largers along the way most days and survived

I just finished, and I did pretty much all those things you mentioned. And I ate a lot! 😁all that walking!! I spent between $20-70 euros a day depending on private room/ pension or albergue. So reasonable for what you get.

Lo
According to Wikipedia the Radler was first sold in 1922 at a very famous restaurant closeby Munich. Reason should have been that beer runs out and therefore was mixed with lemonade. As Munich and surrounding villages are famous for beer this story makes sense. Come to Munich and try. At world famous Beerfest in Munich this Radler is available as well
Love Radler. It’s everywhere in Spain and pretty common in Germany too!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Very different indeed. Radler tends to be lower in alcohol than the standard beers. I'd need quite a few under my belt before I'd attempt any shanties! :cool:
Supermarkets in Spain tend to sell quite a few Radler brands included ‘no alcohol’ versions!

Very different indeed. Radler tends to be lower in alcohol than the standard beers. I'd need quite a few under my belt before I'd attempt any shanties! :cool:
Shortly after my return home I found a Sam Adam's limited edition Radler with 6.5%
Needless to say I got 3 cases of it
One went to my son's house for my grandsons birthday bash and was a goner within 1st couple of hours...
Of course the place was out next time I called 🙄

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
Supermarkets in Spain tend to sell quite a few Radler brands included ‘no alcohol’ versions!
I am a San Miguel larger man my self, and when i stop at the end of the day, its usual for me to have a Grande very large glass of the above...I think i deserve it after all that walking..also it tastes delicious

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...
I was reading somewhere that some of us are doing night walks. As a natural born night owl I would love to do such walk too. Of course I can choose stage by myself (CF). But was wondering if any...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back