• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Daily Budget (Santander to Santiago de Compostela)

MoiraBons

Time of past OR future Camino
Plan on walking el Camino Norte in June/July, 2019
Hi all!

I'm from Chicago, Illinois in the USA. This is my first time walking any part of el Camino, and I'm SUPER excited. Also trying to plan my budget. My goal is to walk this route in 21-23 days. For those experienced pilgrims, how much do these albergues cost typically on el Norte, and what is the food situation like? Basically, I'm wondering what my daily budget might look like. I know it's different for everyone, but I'd like to get a general feel. I haven't bought my plane tickets yet, but I'm planning on going from mid June to mid July. Any help/advice is greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
Moira

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Moira, no advice re budget, but just to say: Buen Camino! Others will give you their comments, so just hang on!

Hi all!

I'm from Chicago, Illinois in the USA. This is my first time walking any part of el Camino, and I'm SUPER excited. Also trying to plan my budget. My goal is to walk this route in 21-23 days. For those experienced pilgrims, how much do these albergues cost typically on el Norte, and what is the food situation like? Basically, I'm wondering what my daily budget might look like. I know it's different for everyone, but I'd like to get a general feel. I haven't bought my plane tickets yet, but I'm planning on going from mid June to mid July. Any help/advice is greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
Moira
Hi, Moira,

Welcome to the forum! Your costs will depend on whether you stay in public albergue vs. private albergue (public around 6 €, private around 12, pension or hotel more than that) and whether you eat in a restaurant (average meal price in a basic restaurant with a menú del día will be around 10 €) or buy groceries in a store. Also, how many coffee stops or beer stops will you make, that can have an impact as well. Washing clothes in a machine, usually around 5-6 € vs. washing by hand, free.

I don't know if you are a joiner, or if you know about this group, but Chicago has a pretty active chapter of the American Pilgrims. They have lots of helpful people there and have monthly walks. I'm downstate and have never been able to make it up, though I have good intentions! @jpflavin1 (another forum member) walks with them regularly but he is currently walking the Via de la Plata.
https://www.americanpilgrims.org/chicago-illinois-chapter

Buen camino, Laurie

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Hi, Moira,

Welcome to the forum! Your costs will depend on whether you stay in public albergue vs. private albergue (public around 6 €, private around 12, pension or hotel more than that) and whether you eat in a restaurant (average meal price in a basic restaurant with a menú del día will be around 10 €) or buy groceries in a store. Also, how many coffee stops or beer stops will you make, that can have an impact as well. Washing clothes in a machine, usually around 5-6 € vs. washing by hand, free.

I don't know if you are a joiner, or if you know about this group, but Chicago has a pretty active chapter of the American Pilgrims. They have lots of helpful people there and have monthly walks. I'm downstate and have never been able to make it up, though I have good intentions! @jpflavin1 (another forum member) walks with them regularly but he is currently walking the Via de la Plata.
https://www.americanpilgrims.org/chicago-illinois-chapter

Buen camino, Laurie
Laurie, thank you so much for your wisdom! I still have to look into albergues, but I would most likely go with public ones, and I'll plan for a variety of days with coffee/beer, so I'll take all of that into account.

Also, great recommendation on the American Pilgrims chapter. I had no idea they existed, but I'm going to look into joining now that I do. I appreciate you taking the time to respond.

I walk quite comfortably in Spain on 30 Euros a day. 25 is fine if you don't drink as much Tinto Verano as me though! If you have more then great! I once walked on 3 Euros a day (with a tent) in an emergency, it was doable but far from fun!

Davey

Most read last week in this forum

Last May I walked the first part of the Norte in the opposite direction, from Santander to Irun. Since I only had two weeks and couldn't reach Santiago anyway, I wanted to swim against the tide...
Tomorrow I fly to Bilbao to start my 5th stint on the Camino. I did the Frances in three parts (2016, 2017 and 2022). Last year I did the Portuguese from Porto. I did the first 200 km of the...
I thought I had this all figured out, but I have ended up with 2 train tickets from San Sebastian (I don't even know if it's the airport or the town) to Irun, instead of ONE that goes all the way...
I use Alltrails a lot here in the US, in Iceland, on the Via Podiensis and a bit on the CF. Will it be useful on the Norte? For example, people here say the "warm up" from Biarritz to Irun (or...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.