• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Daily Camino preventative care

Nanc

Time of past OR future Camino
Frances (Sept 2016)
SDC/ Finesterre/ Muxia (2016)
I would appreciate people sharing what their self care was on the Camino physically. For example some spoke of a massage ball, some of stretches ( which ones?!) others of icing nightly. Some got massages in town , though I'm not sure if it was soothing or therapeutic. wasn't there an albergue with that gift?
Some talked of removing socks every 2 hours.
I'd appreciate hearing regimens that worked regardless of specific injuries etc as I would like to develop a daily post walk plan ( and actually implement it now as my training escalates
And when did this happen? Immediately after the shower ? Before or after town walks? Before bed?
Thanks all
Nanc

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Apart of normal hygiene I just put a lot of cream on my feet, both in the evening and in the morning, occasionally I massaged them a bit when doing so. Nothing else really. Oh, yes, it is also important to stay well hydrated. Buen Camino, SY

Every morning I put duck tape on a couple of places on my feet where I had blisters in the past, really worked well for me.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Unfortunately you mention in your otherwise excellent article also the needle/thread method which is an excellent way of getting blisters infected. Some people don't get infections, so they recommend it to others and they might get an infection. Always remember what works for you/the method you were lucky with doesn't necessarily mean that others are as lucky as you have been. Buen Camino, SY

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Unfortunately you mention in your otherwise excellent article also the needle/thread method which is an excellent way of getting blisters infected. Some people don't get infections, so they recommend it to others and they might get an infection. Always remember what works for you/the method you were lucky with doesn't necessarily mean that others are as lucky as you have been. Buen Camino, SY

Good point! I'll amend the article....now.

Last edited:
I always check my feet lunch time and evening. Always change your footwear at the end of the day. Good old Vaseline can help see off blisters. Personally I would never ever get a needle anywhere near a blister - infections in hot climates can just take off.

For me personally I prefer to just keep the miles down for the first week and carry the absolutely bare minimum to keep the weight down. I used to put on double socks and talc in between them but that's a lot of hustle and extra weight.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
My daily foot regime was this. In the morning, I taped blister prone zones and covered any blisters or sensitive toes. I followed the vaseline regime (after running out of NOK) and then Injinji toesock liners and wool socks. At night after showering, I took care of any foot issues and reapplied lubricant. I usually wore my Crocs after. In addition, I stretched in the morning and after walking. Lying on a bunk or floor with your legs raised up against the wall was a favorite move.

There are so many opinions and variations of what works and what doesn't, that my head spins with the options! I almost think that if you pick any 1 or 2 techniques and use them to get very familiar with your feet, that is the best way to start. There is no magical best routine. (e.g. Use tea/alcohol to toughen the skin, vs use vaseline to soften). Try them all. The point is to be attentive to your feet, and other vital parts of your body as well.

Thanks all
my question was as much for whole body and not just feet

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Stretching in the morning before your walk. Basic stretches. Hamstring. Knees. Achilles tendons. Upper body. Start your walk slow so that muscles warm up, and loosen.
Vaseline on toes and heels to prevent blisters. I thought it worked great and wouldn't walk a Camino without the stuff. Also nice to massage feet later on with some lotion or even the Vaseline.
Drink lots of water. Nourishes the joints and muscles as well as hydrates.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Here was my daily routine that I had figured out by the end of my walk.
  • Two layers of socks and well-fitting shoes tied well.
  • Breakfast including a nice big drink of water.
  • Apply sunscreen and put hat on.
  • Slow walking to start with to warm up the muscles (I did about 30 minutes slow walking before trying to pick up my pace).
  • Two or two-and-a-half hours of walking.
  • Break, including changing socks and airing feet for ten minutes or so. (I was so lucky to avoid blisters, I never once thought poorly about carrying the extra weight of so many socks.)
  • A small snack of dried fruits or nuts or a banana if I could, or whatever I was craving and had to hand, plus more water.
  • Apply more sunscreen.
  • Walk some more.
  • Arrive at albergue: shower, nap, eat, drink more water. I applied an essential oil muscle rub with menthol and eucalyptus in it on my sore legs and sometimes on my feet.
I suffered heat exhaustion and severe sunburn in the first two weeks of my walk (July). I can't emphasise the importance of water and sunscreen enough.

I also had trouble with the ibuprofen I bought in Spain - something about it bothered my stomach (never had a problem with it at home). I avoided a lot of food, thinking it was the foreign diet that my system wasn't used to. :( But it's a good excuse: I have to go back now in order to enjoy all of the tapas and pintxos. ;)

Edited to add: I also wrote in my journal everyday. Yes, extra weight, but it was crucial: I put all of my thoughts in there- it kept my head clear and my emotions more stable, and that allowed me to be in the moment and learn the lessons that the Camino offered. Make sure you bring your strategies for coping with stress, whatever they might be.

Last edited:
Here was my daily routine that I had figured out by the end of my walk.
  • Two layers of socks and well-fitting shoes tied well.
  • Breakfast including a nice big drink of water.
  • Apply sunscreen and put hat on.
  • Slow walking to start with to warm up the muscles (I did about 30 minutes slow walking before trying to pick up my pace).
  • Two or two-and-a-half hours of walking.
  • Break, including changing socks and airing feet for ten minutes or so. (I was so lucky to avoid blisters, I never once thought poorly about carrying the extra weight of so many socks.)
  • A small snack of dried fruits or nuts or a banana if I could, or whatever I was craving and had to hand, plus more water.
  • Apply more sunscreen.
  • Walk some more.
  • Arrive at albergue: shower, nap, eat, drink more water. I applied an essential oil muscle rub with menthol and eucalyptus in it on my sore legs and sometimes on my feet.
I suffered heat exhaustion and severe sunburn in the first two weeks of my walk (July). I can't emphasise the importance of water and sunscreen enough.

I also had trouble with the ibuprofen I bought in Spain - something about it bothered my stomach (never had a problem with it at home). I avoided a lot of food, thinking it was the foreign diet that my system wasn't used to. :( But it's a good excuse: I have to go back now in order to enjoy all of the tapas and pintxos. ;)

Edited to add: I also wrote in my journal everyday. Yes, extra weight, but it was crucial: I put all of my thoughts in there- it kept my head clear and my emotions more stable, and that allowed me to be in the moment and learn the lessons that the Camino offered. Make sure you bring your strategies for coping with stress, whatever they might be.

thanks Wanderer Jolie...that is such helpful advice.. I too found that changing the socks really helped as my feet got hot..

Our care was mainly as we walked.
Not walking too far and too fast meant not straining muscles and not getting very sweaty, softened and blistered feet.
Stopping to re-tie our bootlaces before walking downhill on steeper sections - saves toenails from damage.
Keeping well hydrated and if feeling signs of cramp taking a rehydration drink (Diarolyte (UK) or Casen SuerOral (Spain) both from pharmacies. Salt licks also work - Not drinking it!
Broad brimmed hat (Tilley type) protects the backs of our necks and our ears as well as providing eye shade.
Triple socks - very thin, mid weight and walking thicker weight. No blisters
Stop after lunch (main meal), take a siesta, do washing then stroll around for a while before supper (light meal/sandwich/DIY) and early to bed...
That has worked for us and we did not do exercises each day but had walked plenty of practise walks with packs at home before setting out.
Buen Camino

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
After I started putting Vaseline on my feet I never got a blister. I wear sock liners inside regular woollen socks. The liners wick sweat away from the feet and the wooden socks have some shock absorbing properties. I replaced the insoles in my well fitting and well broken-in boots with shock absorbing insoles, also to reduce shock absorption.
Lack of magnesium and potassium can cause cramps so I took supplements and also vitamins. Lack of salt can make you enervated so do take some salt at least. And, of course, drink lots of water even when you do not feel thirsty.
One walking pole at least can reduce pressure on the joints especially when going downhill.
All the above worked for me.
Hope this is useful.

One thing my husband did when he had a hot spot where he felt a blister coming was to "paint" the area with liquid bandage. He never had a blister develop. I thought it was important to have "bigger" shoes which for me was a bigger toe box. (Salesman's words, not mine.) I bought different shoes based on his advice, and I never had a blister or sore.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc

Most read last week in this forum

Hey there! I wanted to chat about my experience on the 2017 Camino Frances. I'm pretty average physically, maybe a tad overweight, did some training (could've done more), and could've lightened my...
We are leaving to do the whole Camino Frances in a week. I have two corns on my right foot that are becoming very painful - I have had them for years with little issue but over the last month with...
I’ve been trying to decide on a fitness regime in preparation for the Camino, but upon reviewing this board, YouTube, etc, there’s an overwhelming array of suggestions and programs, but I’m less...
I am a CPAP user, and would need to bring my machine as I need it at night during the Camino. I have a regular size Resmed (without the water chamber). My plan is - to pack it in the CPAP...
Have been walking my first Camino and loving it, until coming down with a nasty cold in Puente La Reina, with a bad headache, sore throat, deep chest congestion and developing cough. The...
3 days ago, I developed a horrible shinsplint where I was barely walking--KT helped a little to get me through the day. So, I took a rest day and booked a nearby PT in pontevedra. Anna was able...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.